Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What do I do if my ex keeps contacting me?

309 Answers
Last Updated: 03/20/2021 at 5:12pm
What do I do if my ex keeps contacting me?
★ This question about Breakups was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.
1 Tip to Feel Better
United States
Moderated by

Zeina Ghoul, LLPC

Pre-Licensed Professional

I help guide clients to create positive change in a non-judgmental and supportive atmosphere.

Top Rated Answers
January 1st, 2016 5:56pm
If it's a contact that you do not want to speak to, personally myself would block them from any social media/numbers so they cannot get in contact. If they use different numbers/accounts to contact, myself would class this as harassment and would tell someone I trust, even if you need to speak to the police about this to make you feel more staff. If you haven't told them you don't want to speak to them, for closure maybe it may be the best thing to speak to them about before doing so.
January 6th, 2016 11:20pm
If your ex keeps contacting you after a break up when you don't want to hear from them, make sure you are clear to them that you do not want any contact with them and if they still continue to contact you, I recommend blocking their number and profiles from social media.
January 17th, 2016 3:49pm
If your ex keeps on contacting you and it makes you feel uncomfortable or doesn't do you any good (i.e. in terms of moving on, for example,) then you can be honest with him and tell him that you don't want to talk anymore and would want to have some time alone. Just make sure that you don't sound rude, but be honest with him as well. Tell him why you don't want him to contact you anymore. After that, you can wait for his response. If he still contacts you, and if you are really bothered by it, then maybe you can block him.
January 24th, 2016 9:38am
block him or just talk to him about that, you won't feel better until that happend
January 24th, 2016 7:27pm
You should ignore them and block them. Make it clear that you don't want them to reach you. If they consistently try and contact you, confront them in person with a friend and tell them to stop.
February 6th, 2016 3:27am
Block them ,,,or file a restraining order...if neither works ,just move to a new place for a fresh start
February 6th, 2016 4:49pm
Tell them to stop stop calling and if they don't, then tell them you are going to call the police and if they keep calling you then call the police and report them or just block them on the phone.
February 11th, 2016 1:09am
Calmly explain to them that you do not wish to keep contact with them and ask them to stop messaging you. If that doesn't work, block their number so you don't receive the messages anymore.
April 19th, 2016 5:34pm
You could try telling a trusted adult to help you out with this issue, or you can try telling him to stop contacting you if its making you feel uncomfortable or threatened.
April 25th, 2016 8:33pm
I would recommend you blocking their number. If they continue to find ways to contact you, please contact the police. Good luck.
September 14th, 2016 2:28pm
If your ex keeps contacting you ysoy can tell him to stop. If he doesnt stop block his number or fb or whatever he can talk to you on. Of he somehow keeps messenging you after all that you can go to the cops and they can do something because if hes/ shes gone through this much work theybare stalking you
November 3rd, 2014 10:39am
Block the ex, if they are making different accounts to try and contact you, ask them nicely to stop contacting you, because you need some closure, some time apart from them. Explain that to them in the nicest possible way at first, but if they get angry about that, be firm.
November 3rd, 2014 10:40am
Explain him that it is not comfortable for you. Even if he doesn't understand then block his number and if her gets too aggressive please report him to police as it will eventually get worse as you will start enabling him.
November 5th, 2014 1:49pm
Tell them that you don't want them to do it. If they don't listen, block them from social medias. If you don't feel comfortable talking to them yourself, get a friend to let them know that you don't want them to contact you. In extreme cases, like harassment, the police is the best option.
November 8th, 2014 12:04am
If it bothers you, then you should tell them clearly that you don't want them contacting you. If they continue, then it's better if you change your number or block them from social media and stuff like this that will prevent them from contacting you again.
November 12th, 2014 6:52am
It depends if you want him/her to contact you or not. If not, politely explain to your ex your situation, or simply block them/delete them from your contacts.
November 15th, 2014 5:56pm
Tell him straight you don't like that, so his clear on things, he probably doesn't know how you feel
November 17th, 2014 4:53pm
Tell them to stop, and if they don't stop even after you have told them to stop contacting you then contact a close family member or the police.
November 18th, 2014 6:01am
Ah, this one is a bit tough. How do you feel when your ex is contacting you? Have you tried to tell your ex to stop calling you? You can always go to the authorities for harassment. It's really all up to you and how you feel about the situation!
April 5th, 2015 8:56pm
Try to tell him/her politely that you are not interested. If they still don't stop, block them and let them not have any means to contact you.
April 12th, 2015 7:11am
Your choice. You want ex- keep it going or no troubles - leave him off by a simple DO NOT DISTURB message.
May 1st, 2015 5:38pm
If an ex keeps contacting you, first let him know that you do not wish to be contacted at this time. If he continues to try to contact you, contact the police, non emergency number, to see what they can do.
May 22nd, 2015 5:17pm
Block their number, email, social media accounts, etc. If all else fails, contact your local police department. If they continue to contact you it goes from being continuous contact to stalking and that's not healthy at all!
May 29th, 2015 11:00am
If you want to stay friends with them, then there should be no problem. However if you feel you are being annoyed or harassed to stay in contact with them, you should block them from whatever media platform they are using
June 3rd, 2015 10:04am
Hi, if you are not wanting to stay in contact with your ex, you either need to make it clear to them or just ignore them and hope they get the message. Whether you want to get back with them or not, it is clear that you want the space to deal with everything. Maybe you are over it and wish they would understand that too. It doesn't always work out when people try to be friends afterwards and if you don't want that contact, you need to make it as clear as possible to them.
June 19th, 2015 5:53pm
That depends on what you want. You can answer him/her and talk to him/her properly as a friend or you can tell him/her to stop talking to you because it makes you uncomfortable and block him/her
June 19th, 2015 7:17pm
If you are feeling harassed consider filling out a police report blocking your ex on any media sites or from your phone. If it continues or becomes threatening call 911 immediately!
June 20th, 2015 10:16pm
You can talk to him/her and just clear out everything and finish it for once and all, because avoiding/ignoring would not help for a very long time. If he/she stil doesn't understand and keeps bothering you, maybe it's time to make a formal complaint!
June 21st, 2015 3:17am
That depends. I'm going to assume you don't want them to contact you if you are asking this question. Block them. Delete there numbers and if they keep trying to contact you tell them if they don't leave you alone you will call the police.
June 21st, 2015 7:25am
If they are annoying you or you want them to stop, tell them to leave you alone. And if they continue, then change your numbers.