Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What do I do if my ex keeps contacting me?

309 Answers
Last Updated: 03/20/2021 at 5:12pm
What do I do if my ex keeps contacting me?
★ This question about Breakups was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.
1 Tip to Feel Better
United States
Moderated by

Zeina Ghoul, LLPC

Pre-Licensed Professional

I help guide clients to create positive change in a non-judgmental and supportive atmosphere.

Top Rated Answers
June 21st, 2015 3:10pm
You cut all contact if he keeps trying to contact you block his number and if that don't work go to the police.
June 21st, 2015 6:34pm
Talk to them , and tell them that you don't want to talk to them anymore. Or ignore or block them on social media.
June 24th, 2015 3:38am
To consider the answer to that very carefully, my first intial response would be, what do "you" think you should do?
June 24th, 2015 4:53am
Its simple. If you still love him/her, Contact back, if not say that your busy or something or straightforward talk and say that its over.
June 24th, 2015 8:47am
If you really want to end an relationship. You need to set things straight. Tell your significant other about how you feel.
June 24th, 2015 9:02pm
If it is not of urgency, and you do not want anything to do with them any more, politely decline there advances, if it gets too much, tell someone.
June 25th, 2015 1:48am
Try to cut off all contact from him/her, if that's not possible tell him/her that you don't want to talk and to stop harassing you.
June 25th, 2015 5:48am
Warn the ex that you no longer would like to remain in contact, and let them know that it is your decision, and is not open for discussion. If they continue to cross the boundaries you've set, forget talking, and take ACTION. Change your information, block the person through any means necessary, and be prepared to even take legal action such as a restraining order - if they may show aggressive or stalking behavior.
June 25th, 2015 1:24pm
If you no longer wish to have a relationship with this person, you can possibly change your number..have a talk with them letting them know that you no longer wish to speak to them that you are moving on in your life.
June 25th, 2015 3:19pm
It depends on wether you want to get in contact with them or not. Think about that. Do you or do you not want to talk to them? If you don't, tell them off. If you do, say hello!
June 25th, 2015 6:55pm
show him that your stronger and you get up for your self without him by ignoring him cuz you are a chance that come one time on life
June 25th, 2015 10:51pm
If you do not want to be contacted anymore, tell this to your ex. If it continues, tell your parents, change your phone number, or get a restraining order in place.
June 26th, 2015 2:17am
Politely tell them to stop trying to contact you and if they still try to keep in contact then you should block them from whatever they are contacting you through. They will get the picture and its simple.
June 26th, 2015 5:01am
if your ex keeps contacting you block him or her. Change your phone number and only give it out to people you trust! Most importantly tell them to stop contacting you and ignore them.
June 26th, 2015 2:13pm
It totally depends on you whether you want to talk to them or not, in my experience he / sure is ur ex for a reason. Talking to them might only hurt you, they might be trying to contact you or want you to take them back as it didn't work out with the other person. You might want some space and time to get over them before talking to them explain to them the same nicely, and if they do not listen or keep harassing you then you can block them on your phone or social networking site or you can ask some of your friends to explain the same to them.
June 26th, 2015 2:35pm
Block him.
June 26th, 2015 7:43pm
Try to avoid any contact, or hear what your ex has to tell you and if you feel uncomfortable, try to block her or him and tell him to stop.
June 27th, 2015 1:23am
State clearly and firmly that you no longer want any contact of any kind and request that your ex respect your boundaries. You do not need to make any threats. Do not respond to attempts at contact after you have made your position clear. If contact attempts persist or become threatening or alarming you may need to take additional steps to resolve the issue. Do not respond to provocations. If you respond you have given them what they want and their behaviour may escalate. If you feel that you are in any personal danger it is important that you inform authorities and discuss the matter with those who are close to you and take steps to ensure your safety.
June 27th, 2015 10:08am
It depends. if you want to talk to him then do it but if you don't then you can block him or tell him how you feel
June 27th, 2015 4:06pm
How about you ask yourself, "Am I okay or not okay with it?" After that, your next step will follow.
June 27th, 2015 8:56pm
you can sort out the matter by contacting her once , then once you know her reason its your choice to be in touch with them or just move on!
June 28th, 2015 12:14am
block them if you are trying to move on with your life after all you have the choice to respond to them or not
June 28th, 2015 3:56am
u should listen to her and see what she (he) wants and then u should know ur options and work on the best way u feel cofortable in
June 28th, 2015 12:08pm
make yewr ex understand the reason that we can be nthng more dan jst a frnds. nd set some ground conditions pertaining to the stablity
June 28th, 2015 2:06pm
If this contact is unwelcome, make it clear. Keep a diary of times and methods of contact. Let them know how this contact is making you feel. Tell the police as a last resort if necessary.
June 28th, 2015 6:09pm
Do not respond at all in any way. If you respond after every ten tries, you are teaching him that it takes ten times to get you to respond. So the point is to stop him entirely you must not respond at all .. ever.
July 1st, 2015 2:02am
let he or she know to back off or else you'll change your number or warn the police tell an adult ...
July 1st, 2015 8:28am
Block them on everything and anything you can. Perhaps if they are bothering you then you should contact police.
July 1st, 2015 8:28am
Act on how you feel about him. Do you love him? Do you want him contacting you? What do you do when he contacts? Tell him how you feel. If you don't want him to contact you tell him to back off.
July 1st, 2015 5:40pm
Block their number or respectfully ask them to stop so they understand it may be distressing for you