When will I be over my ex?

Brittany Kelley, MSW, LCSW

I am a psychodynamically trained clinical social worker. I find assisting women and families through difficult times an extremely rewarding and collaborative process.

Anonymous
You may never actually be over your ex, but it's always good to know that you are human and it's normal to feel this way about someone.
Anonymous
When you will realize that he/she wasn't the right one. When you will be able to move on and start from the beginning, do not stuck on your exs. They are you past, you have to look for your future and live for the present! You will find a lot of people like your ex! Start meeting new people, make new experiences, do things that you love and things that will make you escape and forgive about your ex. This will help you get over him/her.
delicateJewel69
When you start believing that you have a better life without him and he doesn't deserve you. Love yourself :)
SalParadise
May not be today, may not be tomorrow, it is okay to not be over it at first, to delete or save pictures, hide or cuddle presents and feel mad or sad, forcing yourself to be alright instantly is not good for anyone. There will be times you miss him, and its okay that there are, you are not weaker or less, just a human. You shared feeling with someone and now you need to slowly re build the things in your life that used to involve another person. Take it as a chance to change and grow while you rebuild those things you want to make better to youself, things that you think would make you happy. Then one day, you will look at that box of memories, or look at that photo you saved, and realise you have re grown what you felt was missing. Give youself time and surround youself with others to care for eachother
Anonymous
December 22nd, 2014 4:58am
Being over an ex takes a while. 7COT has a self guide on getting over a break up. I read it and i feel like it is a great guide to help.
KendallNichole
January 2nd, 2015 2:29am
There's not really going to be a time where you'll just wake up one day and say "oh wow i'm over him". It really just takes time! Take this time to evaluate your life, who you are, what you want, what you need, etc.! Give yourself some 'me time'
Gi
It's a bit hard. But you have to be up for REALLY get over them; I mean, delete all photos of you two, all conversations, delete them from social networks. Meet new people. Sometimes we think about them because of things only we did together. Do it with other people!
ScottyZee
The human mind can get stuck in a thought. Sometimes one can get stuck in a thought for years. The question is not how long will I keep thinking about my ex the real question is why do I keep letting myself think about them? When one is stuck in a thought it can seem inescapable because that memory was pleasant alas to keep thinking about the past is harmful because it prevents oneself from moving on. The best thing one can do if you find yourself stuck in a thought is to break the cycle. Every time that thought comes up pre-plan another thought or activity to take ones mind off the past. For example if you cant forget an ex and they are always on your mind then do 10 push up every time you catch yourself thinking about them. Now every time they pop in your head you will soon forget because your now doing something to distract yourself, and a plus is you will be getting exercise. Also you might start associating that ex with the pain of push up if it happens enough and then there will be a lot less pleasure in those memories further helping you forget them and move on with life.
Adam
There is no definitive answer. It will happen, but only when you are ready for it to. It will take time and with time comes happiness. But looking after yourself is imperative. Sleeping well and eating well is a must no matter how hard or how much you don't want to. Then once you are happy in yourself you will get past the hard times.
wallflowermusic98
When you realize that you can't let other people govern whether you are happy or not. Let you and only you make yourself happy.
Handerliepierre
Whenever you choose. Of course the memories of the fun times you guys had together will still be there but create new ones. Meet new people and have more fun with them!
ayalily
when you learn how to love yourself and find love from within and feel the self love you will realize that you are strong enough
McHappy
NO probabaly not unless they did something terribly wrong that u hate them and want to kill them ive been there but most likely no
SenpaiXD
Only time will tell. Could be weeks, months. Perhaps even years. But you will be over your ex as time progresses.
AppleSauces
As soon as you start concentrating on yourself! Forget about them! An ex is an example of exactly what you don't want. Make yourself a better you for a better next!
Anonymous
When you feel as though you understand the situation. Most would say half the time you were with that person, but honestly. You will know.
AmazingJ
Break ups are always hard. The most important thing is to drive your thoughts away from your ex and focus on yourself. Patient has to be your friend, time your saviour. You will finally move on when you are aware of your thought and they dont have any connection with your ex. Good luck.
Anonymous
When you start to love yourself more than you think your ex love you. You need to respect yourself, your heart and your feeling.
BeautifulSoul80
Well, this might sound too simple - but - "getting over" someone is a process not an event. Some days are harder than others to be "over" the ex. The good news is that you are curious about managing your emotions and are taking a step in a positive direction. Maybe it is a good time to connect with a trained listener.
artnerd015
you'll be over your ex when you've moved on. yes, it is hard to move on at first but there will be other people out there!
dreamcatcher95
When you realise that you miss the memories with your partner, and not him/her.Missing someone is a part of moving on.. its our choice to make our past a reference or residence
Anonymous
i spent a year pondering over the same guy always talking to him and texting him (we'd been out once) even though i knew i had no chance. i thought i was in love with him. i was in a group of friends including a few boys and id started to talk to one and eventually we had gotten together and i just realised i had been wasting my time over some one who i thought i loved. my advice is don't beat yourself up and when the right person comes they will come however don't just ditch everything for one guy and listen to what people say to you as i was blind just because i had a good-looking ex!
Anonymous
I got over my ex when i started to indulge myself in my hobbies and kept myself busy and it became a habit. It took some time.
The day that you let your ex go and be happy for him/her will be the day that you will be over him/her.
Anonymous
You will be over your ex when you come to a point of understanding why the relationship ended and come to peace with yourself
Anonymous
What others have told me is that right now it will hurt & the pain will be crippling but day after day that goes by you will get stronger to the point where you feel no more pain & can look to the future and not think about your ex. The more you focus on yourself, your happiness and finding joy in your life again, thoughts of your ex will fade away till they are gone.
WMM
When you decide that they are not worth your time and you could do so much more without letting the thought of them hover your mind, making you feel a way you dont want to
kingdom20
When you finally decide to move on from everything that has to do with him. When you find and love yourself without him and care less about his existence
andreland
there s not actually a period. you will be over that when you ll invest in yourself too much time to give a damn.
Anonymous
the moment you feel like you are no longer trying to replace ex with someone else.. but start to love