When will I stop thinking about my ex?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

blissfulHeart99
sometimes you are better off without the person you think you need the most..Start a new chapter..Take him/her out of the picture..you can do it without him/her..It's going to hurt but when you realise the pain is gone you will be in a happier place :)
CourageousPal26
January 23rd, 2015 8:26am
When you decide to. It's easy to think about your ex if you're still connected with him/her on social networks or in real life. Distance yourself. Also, you can decide to stop thinking about your ex by doing other productive/fun things in your life. Switch your thoughts to something else when you catch yourself thinking about your ex. If you want to just lessen the pain however, you can think about your ex in a positive light, i.e. what things you liked about him/her, but keep in mind that you did break up for a reason. Also, I believe that time is still needed in recovering from breakups, but how much time differs from person to person. However, you can make it shorter if you choose to.
divinewillpower86
March 22nd, 2015 12:46am
When you will find the right thing in your life. Thinking about ex is like being in past world and wasting time and energy. Accepting leads the path way!
Anonymous
Dont try to stop thinking about your ex try to start thinking about them as a part of your past that you have learned from.
Anonymous
If you love them, then I would say never. You never stop thinking about them and that isn't a bad thing. You had something special, embrace it, be thankful and move on, there is a reason they are now your ex.
squishycinnamonrolls
It depends on how deep your bond is. For me personally, it took 7 years, simply because he meant the world for me. My thoughts on him were about "what if's." But one day, I just accepted that the past can't be repeated, and I realized that either your past will hold you down or you can be grateful that you found a love worth experiencing and move on. Every partner in your life will hold something dear to you, but with every passing person, be aware that they leave a present for you to be one step closer to be the best person you can shape yourself to be. Ex's are lessons. I believe they helped you get one step closer to also find someone else who is more compatible to you.
fruityHoliday52
well i got over my ex by realizing i deserved better. For me it was all about self respect, which i didn't have before.
petrelli
when you are busy with something else you will forget about her like a new hobby or a sport or maybe a releationship
UrListenerPal
When you start seeing the benefits of moving on. When you start believing in your capabilities and start hoping and planning for future
Anonymous
Sigh. This is a million dollar question. Look at the origin of the thought, i.e. think of what makes you think of your ex and get over it. Time helps you heal. Good luck :D
Anonymous
You will stop thinking about your ex when you choose to. You control your thoughts and your actions. Moving on can be hard to do, but it can be done.
These things takes time and effort. Keeping yourself busy and going forward is a good way to start. Forgive him and let him go.
Anonymous
It all depends. Time heals all wounds but once you have found something to distract yourself, it will become a lot easier. Surround yourself with objects or people that make you feel happy.
KathyTheHealer
when you have the new one. You keep thinking back about your ex, because you are unhappy right now. So when you find the new one, you will be happy and forget about the old one.
Klasu
2 years with love. 2 months without. it is just this short. there is no way of expanding on this. if you love someone it hurts. but the feeling of being betrayed is the best way to move on.
Anonymous
Ussualy takes around 6 months or for you to meet someone else or cept the fact that it didnt work out so it is over.
Anonymous
It's really hard to say. You might never will at all. You can move on, and have learnt to love yourself better or maybe even be with someone new at some point in the future. But there always will be something that will trigger the memories of an ex. You can, however, try to treat yourself, love yourself more as you go. It might help with the process a little more.
listeningandcaring
It takes a different amount of time for everyone. Some people have a harder time letting go than others. Just focus on yourself and remind yourself that you're better off without them :)
FeatherIce25
When you remind yourself the reason for him/her being your EX . If you really want to move on..you need to understand that you have to let go of people and feelings. Forgive and forget.
Jessiboy
Depending on the kind of relationship you may never stop thinking about your ex. But felling in love with someone else or a fill filling a dream may help.
Lights9
actually thinking about your ex is not always a choice. but you should try to live your life without him/her. well, at least if he/she really loves you and it was a serious relationship, you will get together again. but if he/she is not good enough, at least you're living your life. maybe you will cry and stuff, but crying is not that bad. what is bad is attaching your personal life with his absence.
magicalsummer152
the time u start to believe his was just a mistake but he helped you gained an experience to start up better and fresh
StevenUniverse
When you build up the strength and courage to realize you are courageous and are better without them.
hibiscusbreeze
November 2nd, 2015 10:18am
It is almost impossible to break up and have no thoughts about your ex. You had been together and got used of each others company over time, and it will also take time to get used of being apart. You have to retrain your way of thinking about being separated, and try to think of the good things about being single and all the good things about yourself. Write a list of these things to help take your mind off him. You are important and you need to work on valuing yourself more than what you value your ex. Over time it does get easier.
Kitka
I feel that this is something that changes person to person, situation to situation. If it was an especially painful breakup it could take longer, but in time all things fade. I have found that by reclaiming my life, doing things I love, and being with people who care for and support me this transition was far easier to manage.
lexi2420
Your heart needs time to heal. Everyone heals at their own pace and in their own time. Take this time to reflect on yourself to be able to best deal with your emotions.
taybay2k16
You will stop thinking about your ex when you finally find something that occupies that area of your mind. Be it painting, walking, reading, etc, once you find something that makes you happy you will forget about him/her.
Anonymous
You will forget eventually it just takes time just focus on other things and eventually it will fade.
Jez
Whenever you find someone else to give your love to...when you go grocery shopping...when you are eating a good meal you will find yourself engaging your senses.
ingeniousBerry82
There's no specific dates or rules. But you'll start to feel it gets easier once you accept that you need to let go and/or continue with your daily life normally with or without the ex. Eventually time will fix everything. Finding replacement or a rebound also helps distract you (Not ideal, I wouldn't exact recommend hurting other people though but it's proven to ease for me.)