Why did It take her to breakup with me before I realized how badly I was treating her?

Tara Davis, Doctorate in Counselling Psychology

I have worked successfully with a wide range of difficulties. Nothing is more important than developing a warm, compassionate relationship with someone you can trust

RosesForever
Sometimes when you're in a relationship, you're blind to everything else going on, and you're caught up in the moment. Taking a step back, and having some time apart gives a huge outlook on what was really going on. It hits you that, hey, there were things going on that I didn't see.
gentleSun78
People tend not to tell another person about what is wrong in the relationship and what they expect from them. They just have got these expectations but they don't communicate them. They think that these expectations Will be fullfilled automatically regardless of communication. And when expectations aren't fullfilled, they rather breakup than communicate what was wrong and so person never knows what was wrong and then thinks that everything is his or her fault, but it isn't always so (ok, in case of expectations it can be person's fault, but if expectations weren't communicated, person couldn't know what other person expects from him or her).