Why do I feel so alone in my relationship?

Hannah Caradonna, MSW, RCSW (RCC #11330)

Social Worker

I offer a warm and non-judgmental space for you to work through your problems. I can help you with anxiety, disordered eating, depression, relationship problems and more.

everyonematterz
Feeling alone in a relationship is frustrating. When two souls share time together one would imagine reciprocal love, support and commitment. Sometimes when my expectations are too high or too low in a relationship I examine what’s working, what has worked and I communicate my needs to the partner. We aren’t always aware of others needs and needs are just that - a necessary component to a successful relationship. Consider your thoughts and take some time to formulate what you’d like to say and have an honest chat with your partner. See how this goes. If progress isn’t met, perhaps you will need to remember your worth and move on from this relationship that isn’t satisfactory.
frostyRose25
Feeling alone in a relationship where you are supposed to feel accepted, loved, and celebrated is not normal. Usually, a person feels alone in a connection if their needs are not being met by the other person. This could be if for example your partner decides to spend time with their friends over you, they do not listen to your thoughts or comments about important decisions, or they belittle you if you express disagreement or discontent about something they have done. A romantic relationship is a connection that is supposed to add to your life and not detract from it. If you are feeling too alone and neglected with your partner who is supposed to be chief supporter in life, then it's time to think about whether this connection is meeting your needs.
Anonymous
Sometimes a partner doesn’t give us the level of attentiveness we need to feel secure and cared for. Often times this is due to a lack of independence on our parts, and the need for validation. Other times it may be a sign that our partner is disengaged in the relationship and we might need to introduce this issue into a discussion to express our emotions. Regardless of the reason, the key here is communicating your feelings to your partner and making sure that they know how you are feeling, because we’re not mind readers. Communication is key, always .
starryRose5308
This is a touchy topic for me because I’m currently going through this right now. Feeling alone in a relationship occurs the most when you and your partner are on different pages. And feeling alone is the first thing that occurs because your partner isn’t there as much as you expect them to be. This feeling could also occur when you’re not getting enough attention that you desire. Sometimes your partner doesn’t notice the loneliness because they have other things going on and sometimes don’t pay attention as much. Changes in a relationship could cause this as well. In a relationship, I feel like you shouldn’t feel alone.
Anonymous
Communication is key. It is completely normal. Don’t ever think it’s your fault. You can be in a room full of 1,000 people and still feel alone. Have you tried talking to your partner about this situation? Often loneliness in a relationship stems from a lack of connection, a lack of effort in the relationship, or a lack of individuation—or some combination of these factors. Having other support systems to listen to you is amazing. If the feeling of loneliness keeps growing in your relationship, I would recommend a therapist. There are many different kinds of therapist that will help you with your problems :)
75Ktea
Sometimes it happens when one has a different perspective about how the relationship should be vs the person you're with. For example when one wants to see that person everyday but for some reason the other person can't and they don't feel like they need to see you everyday even though they do love you very much. It's just different needs. Is your case different needs? you might want to think about it, if you find out it is, you might want to talk about it with your partner. This has been what has often happened to me, and we have figured things out.
Anonymous
Communication I think communication has a huge role in any relationship. It is the key to improve the understanding between people. Do you think you and your partner are not speaking frequently and no longer investing more time with each other? Tell your partner that you feel disconnected from them, ask them if they too feel the same. Then arrange some time to meet and catch up on things. It is possible your honeymoon period just ended. The honeymoon phase is an early part of a couple's relationship where everything seems carefree and happy. When we experience things at first, it seems the world is revolving around other people. It's all-new. We experience diverse kinds of emotions. But as days go by, we come to the point that we know everything about the other person and have experienced how it's like to be with them. It's pretty ordinary! Don't stress that much. You two can always try new things out and explore new places and explore each other more. Talk to the other person about it. It's going to be okay!
YousefFrisca
I believe you might need to re look at the whole story of your relationship from the beginning and think if you really need to continue or maybe to stop to start a new happier page, and it doesn’t mean to directly start a new relationship, no .. sometimes you need to take sometime alone understanding yourself more, loving yourself more until you feel that you are ready to love, and you are ready to be in a proper healthy relationship so you don’t repeat the mistake again and to feel lonely in the other relationships, love is life and you should feel the person with you is filling your entire life
CoffeeAddict07
March 3rd, 2022 11:34pm
You might feel alone in your relationship if your partner is not showing you sufficient attention or even if you feel as if your partner is not showing you enough attention. If the scenario is the first one then it would be best to distance yourself from your partner and find someone new to rely on for emotional support. However, if it is the latter then the reason that you feel so alone is most likely due to a psychological reason. More often than not children who are left with proper emotional support as a child do not feel as if they are getting it even when they are an adult despite their partner doing all the rights things.
Stargirlsky
Because maybe you should talk and Express it feelings to ur parents if not then nothing will change try to talk with him more clearly and explain him why u feel like dis and what is ur target in dis relationship and wat u want and ofc if he really really loves u then he will do his best to keep u and make u happy so never feel like u are alone everything gonna be ok and be happy and never feel alone coz feeling in dis way is actually useless just try to Express and attempt for ur future and ur goals