Why does my girlfriend hate me all of a sudden?

Jui Shankar, Ph.D

My worldview offers a systems perspective that values diverse clients and their struggles. I believe supportive and nonjudgmental therapeutic relationships empower clients.

Anonymous
It all depends, sometimes we have break ups but you may have a make up. Maybe rumours went around, maybe she feels she needs time apart. No madder what it always turns out right, if she breaks up that just means you will find some one else that loves you even more! But always no you could kinda be wrong, you can't say she hates you without proof, I mean your pro bully right but maybe your a bit off maybe something happened in her home life that does not involve you and she needed some time alone, no matter what I can't tell you for sure what the answer is.
optimisticRainfall33
She may be in the process of disconnecting and trying to find something wrong with you. Some people tend to break up with someone in their minds before doing it verbally and physically. She may be on the brink of telling you and just doesn't quite know how to say it because she knows it will hurt you. Try asking her why she's suddenly changed how she acts towards you, or if there's anything specific that you may have done to make her react this way. Communication goes a long way. Its better to talk to her about it than to sit and continue to wonder.
SamEdge69
This is a difficult question because it depends on the situation. It could be because of many reasons, you could have cheated, you could have been dishonest, you could have said something wrong. Another reason could be that she is going through things, girls tend to clench up and be very moody when they are going through issues. Don't take it personal, also hate is a very strong word I wouldn't say she hates you, I would say that she is either in two states: she doesn't like you anymore, or she is having a bad time. Some girls like it if you try to help them when they are going through hard times, but some will get very annoyed and even more angry or depressed. With girls its best to just let them work it out on their own unless they ask for help.
bunniewabbit
Depending on the reason it's so sudden, she may be feeling down about something you did, or something that's bothering her and the emotions are coming out aggressively on you. She may not know how to feel and she's conflicted inside, naturally making her appear hostile. Have you tried to talk to her about it? Is there a reason why your girlfriend would feel this way, that you aren't acknowledging? There are so many reasons that cause a person to suddenly act out, but I think if you analyze the situation, you can probably pinpoint the root of the issue.
ChrisToListen
I'm sorry to hear that. There could be a lot of reasons she could be acting the way that she is, but I can't imagine she hates you if she is still with you. I recommend talking with her if she's willing to at least do that and do you best to give her time to open up if to you and express your willingness to work on whatever issues there are if there are any. Sometimes it's difficult subject matter and it may take her time to open up, one of the best things you can do is show a willingness to solve the conflict, show that you care about her, and show that you respect her space and her feelings. Though this answer is convoluted, I hope it at least helps give perspective and I truly hope that you can solve whatever problems you two are having.
Anonymous
i dont know you or what you have done but i do know that u should talk to your girlfriend about this. what do you think youve done to her to make you think that she hates u? was you texting another girl? or was you talking to her bad? there are different things that she couldve gotten mad about but because i dont know her or you there isnt much that i can say about it. im not supposed to give advice but i really thing you should ask ur girlfriend about this information that you told me
LJames
It may not be you. She could be stressed about external factors in her life and taking it out on you. Talk to her and ask her why she feels this way suddenly. Usually she will be willing to talk about it and you're more likely to be able to find a solution or common ground on which you both can stand and figure out "what next." She also may need space, sometimes all people need is space sometimes or maybe you're giving her too much space. The only way to find out what is truly bothering her is to talk to her about it.
cheerfulHUMAN
I would like to answer this by saying "People are complicated". Perhaps first of all you should try to find out if you said anything which she didn't like. If that's not the case then it might be possible that she is going through some rough phase of her life(maybe depressed) and she might appear cold and distant which may make you think that she hates you. It can be possible that there is a miscommunication between you and her. But if she really means it "the hatred" for you even when you did nothing wrong after you have analyzed and contemplated about the situation then I think it is not your fault. You should consider talking to her about all this and why she has these negative emotions for you but at the same time make sure you don't over-pressure her. Trying to be a good listener is going to help you and then asking follow-up questions in such a way that make her realize about her irrational and sudden dislike for you.
Anonymous
I have been through a similar experience and know what you’re going through. Most of the time it is us (you and me) thinking ourself that our boyfriend or girlfriend may hate us, when in reality they really don’t. Maybe you’re experiencing anxiety or self confidence issues and are seeing things that may not be true. Or maybe you are experiencing depression and you are shutting yourself down and not living in reality. I myself have been through the same thing and I know that it can be hard to cope with. But just know that she most likely does not hate you and there is always someone available to talk to.
calmingJewel2421
Relationship issues are often complicated, it may not be that she hates you, but maybe she has something on her chest that she can't seem to say, maybe she feels she'll be too much, or that you can or will not help her with whatever it is she is holding back. It could also be very normal issues like late night sleep, bad things at work, parent issues, lady problems or just general frustration. In most cases like this there is something unsaid or unspoken. Even though she expresses anger or discomfort with your current relationship, it may not mean that she hates you.
Anonymous
You assume your girlfriend hates you and you were not expecting her to. What is she doing or saying that leads you to believe this? All is speculation until you speak with her directly. No one can know for certain why anyone does anything except the person themselves. If you truly did nothing in your view to hurt her, approach her calmly and request to listen to what happened. It's possible there was a misunderstanding, or you are internalizing some emotions she is showing about something else. At worse, you did something to upset her and cannot see what it is, which doesn't mean it isn't still a big deal. You won't know until you speak with her. If she refuses, give her some time. If she is being abusive, set boundaries. Consider how she can better express her anger in the future, and how you can better respond to it. Compromises and communication are key. Be well.
Anonymous
this is really subjective! for all you know, your girlfriend could display 'hatred' towards you without realising it herself! or perhaps she was just feeling a little emotional or perhaps a little disappointed and/or displeased at something that you did. it's hard to really read someone's mind and understand what they're thinking. if you're sure of this relationship and you want to work things out, communication is perhaps one of the most important components of a successful relationship! talk things out with her. if you've talked things out and she has verbally said that she hates you, ask her why and i believe that'll answer your question more accurately and quickly! all the best.
KateInWV
She may be feeling anxious or stressed. It may have nothing to do with you in particular, but her anxiety and stress may be manifesting itself as anger/annoyance and possibly directed toward you because she is comfortable with you. Has she had any big life changes recently? A new job/loss of job? Maybe a personal loss of some kind with a family member or a friend? Have you asked her if there is anything that is stressing her out that you can help with? That may involve you giving her space if that is what she needs to heal right now.