How do you get over the feeling that people are laughing at you?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

NeverendingSun
I laugh with them. Besides the only opinion you should care about is what you think about yourself. Don't listen to those outsiders, you probably don't even know them.
Anonymous
You shouldn't care about what people think about you. You are you. You can change your appearance, but not the way you are. Be truth to yourself, do the things you want to do, no matter if others tell you that you can't. Don't let them put you down. Prove them you are way better than them, prove them you don't care about their comments!!
Anonymous
To be honest I am a very reserved person so this feeling is quite common to me . Personally I try to ignore those types of thoughts and carry on with whatever I am doing . I have learnt that other people's ideas of laughable is not mine and if people find something I'm doing funny I laugh with them and I won't let negativity bring me down .
Anonymous
It happened to me couple days ago, I felt horrible and I still feel the pain inside me. Because I speak English with accent they judge me!!! What I did is just ignore them because they are reckless. I keep convincing myself that I should be proud of myself coming from a foreign country and get a higher education in different language. To tell you the truth it’s disappointing to see people like that exist
Briwes911
The best way that ive have learned to get over the feeling that people are laughing at me is to think that things in life are funny.. tv is funny you tube is funny and just because some one is laughing they are more then likely enjoying there day and not making fun of anyone person
kindMirage55
it is mostly a trick from your mind, it is just you thinking that, if you would look around you would see that no one is actually laughing at you, if someone is laughing they could be laughing with you, so dont mix these up, try to sit them down and talk to them.
Anonymous
Let them laugh all they want. That's all they can do. They sure as hell ain't gonna stop you. Just need to get your priorities straight. Focus on them and everything's will turn out just fine.
Treforce
Laugh with them, embrase what they are laughing about and dont let it get you down. it wont stop the laughing, but it can be one hell of a conversation starter if you use it with a smile.
JaketheTransguyFTM
You remind yourself that you are amazing. That people can be rude, but is no reason to be mad at others.
Anonymous
Work on your confidence. Dont try to convince yourself that they arent, rather say to yourself " Okay everyone is laughing but I dont care. "
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2017 5:06am
I think it all comes down to self confidence and how you see yourself. If you're confident in yourself and ignore individuals on how they see you, everything would be back to normal. Self love is important. Give yourself the love that you need and I think it won't matter to you on how people see you. This isn't alot , but if it helps in the smallest way possible, that's good for me :)
interestingFish11
I understand how frustrating it can be to feel this way. When I feel like this, I try to remind myself that they are probably not laughing at me. And, even if they are, remember that their opinion does not matter! Some people will laugh at you or criticize you for anything because they themselves are insecure and they want to pass that insecurity on to you. Whatever you do, do not get angry with them. This will worsen the problem. They will then proceed to do it, just to get a rise out of you. This is a tough issue to get through and I hope that you have good luck in handling it.
KHA123
You have to be confident in yourself. It is none of your business what others is thinking of you. Always be BOLD and yourself. Remember positive things about yourself which they don't know and keep moving.
ElegantUnicorn01
It's called the spotlight effect - we think that people are always talking about us, or always looking at us. The reality is that they're probably not even thinking about you in that moment. Imagine how long it would take to laugh at every person around you - it isn't realistic!!
cuddlyDay48
Never take them seriously..and be certain that they are trying to underestimate you because deep inside they know they are bad and trying to make them selves better by doing this..Ignore them..never let them make you feel down because the careless you seem the worse they will feel.
heavenslightning
One of the biggest things I notice (especially walking past a large group of people) I always hear comments or sounds which I expect to be aimed towards me. In most cases, they actually arent paying attention to you at all. What I usually do is look back and if they are looking at me, laugh with them. Usually this throws people off guard and totally destroys the joke of them trying to pester you. Other than that theres nothing then a bit of music couldn't do!
Anonymous
Remember that the only reason you feel bad about it is because you care what they think. It only makes sense to care what people think because we were born into a society that places a premium on peer validation but really, the only person you ever have to report to is yourself. The sooner you stop giving a damn what they think of you, the sooner you'll feel less unsettled when they laugh.
Andrew77889
I feel you don't get over the feeling, it's innate. Nobody likes being laughed at. But what we can do is choose to see value from ourselves and not the value others claim. So immunity no, capability to manage, that I believe to be true if you find value in yourself.
Infpbutalive
For me if it is not meant to be mean I laugh along with them. Otherwise, I will tell them that what they are doing is upsetting me.
Anonymous
I get over that feeling by smiling and pretending I'm alone, or surrounded by friends. I also look at the situation to see if people are laughing at me or something around me!
Rockandrollrocks
Self-assurance. When you know your worth, everyone else will too. Own your personality! If you doubt yourself, others will too.
heatherishere64
I laugh back at the person who is laughing at me, I tend to think nothing of it and move on with my day ~
Anonymous
Most people only focus on themselves and their appearance when they're out. They probably didn't even notice you, let alone they're laughing at you. There is no spotlight on you. People are never laughing at you. You're safe outside.
Shikamaru42
December 23rd, 2015 12:13pm
I personally try to keep my mind focused on the facts when such feelings arise. I mean, most of the time, if you think about it, that feeling turns out to be based on nothing but one's own insecurities. There often is little to no evidence for people actually doing that.
MusicBenjamin
Laugh at yourself as well. Recognize that life is a serious thing, but doesn't need to be taken seriously all the time. Recognize the funny and enjoyable things and laugh together. Words can't hurt you, only your perception of those words can, so let potential negativity roll off like water off a duck's back. Let's all share a laugh!
GentleSoul13
I imagine what I have done in my life that was funny, and I laugh about it and share with others to make them smile as well.
Anonymous
It's best to ignore them or laugh with them! It may be all in your head not everyone is going to be out to get you, sometimes we get paranoid
Anonymous
realize the paranoia is true, that even ur so called family will pat u on the back while betraying you. become a cold empty shell with walls on all sides, ur circle of trust. and let no one in.
MatthewTheMagical
It depends on who's laughing at me, and it depends in which way. I usually don't. I'll think about it all day, and maybe for more than a day.
Youareberrybeautiful
I tilt my head up smile and walk by to my own beat not a care in the world. Listening to music helps me block out the world around me as well, instrumental is the best!