How do you get over the feeling that people are laughing at you?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

Anonymous
one of the things i do is imagine all the people around me are doing silly things, which makes me laugh too. Or for example, i was in an exam last week, i had to be taken out for a drink of water and when i went in i was really shy but all i did was focus on where i was seated and didnt take my eyes off of it, that got me to where i needed to be which was awesome.
NeverendingSun
I laugh with them. Besides the only opinion you should care about is what you think about yourself. Don't listen to those outsiders, you probably don't even know them.
cristiana33
Usually people laugh when they have no idea who you are or when they don't get what you are trying to say. It's a big difference between laughing with you about something you both find funny and laughing because they just judge you. Learn to make the difference and try to realize that those who laugh at you are not worth your time and energy. It's hard to walk away without feeling their negativity but you need to take into account self-care. Let them have their fun, they don't know you. You are awesome!
Treforce
Laugh with them, embrase what they are laughing about and dont let it get you down. it wont stop the laughing, but it can be one hell of a conversation starter if you use it with a smile.
Anonymous
You shouldn't care about what people think about you. You are you. You can change your appearance, but not the way you are. Be truth to yourself, do the things you want to do, no matter if others tell you that you can't. Don't let them put you down. Prove them you are way better than them, prove them you don't care about their comments!!
Anonymous
To be honest I am a very reserved person so this feeling is quite common to me . Personally I try to ignore those types of thoughts and carry on with whatever I am doing . I have learnt that other people's ideas of laughable is not mine and if people find something I'm doing funny I laugh with them and I won't let negativity bring me down .
Briwes911
The best way that ive have learned to get over the feeling that people are laughing at me is to think that things in life are funny.. tv is funny you tube is funny and just because some one is laughing they are more then likely enjoying there day and not making fun of anyone person
kindMirage55
it is mostly a trick from your mind, it is just you thinking that, if you would look around you would see that no one is actually laughing at you, if someone is laughing they could be laughing with you, so dont mix these up, try to sit them down and talk to them.
Anonymous
Let them laugh all they want. That's all they can do. They sure as hell ain't gonna stop you. Just need to get your priorities straight. Focus on them and everything's will turn out just fine.
heatherishere64
I laugh back at the person who is laughing at me, I tend to think nothing of it and move on with my day ~
GentleSoul13
I imagine what I have done in my life that was funny, and I laugh about it and share with others to make them smile as well.
Anonymous
It's best to ignore them or laugh with them! It may be all in your head not everyone is going to be out to get you, sometimes we get paranoid
JaketheTransguyFTM
You remind yourself that you are amazing. That people can be rude, but is no reason to be mad at others.
Anonymous
Work on your confidence. Dont try to convince yourself that they arent, rather say to yourself " Okay everyone is laughing but I dont care. "
charmingDaisy65
I know it's easy to say, but when you decide to care only what you and your closest think of you you will stop worrying what others are thinking are doing inn regards to you
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2017 5:06am
I think it all comes down to self confidence and how you see yourself. If you're confident in yourself and ignore individuals on how they see you, everything would be back to normal. Self love is important. Give yourself the love that you need and I think it won't matter to you on how people see you. This isn't alot , but if it helps in the smallest way possible, that's good for me :)
Relaxedflower93
You lift up your head and walk past them. do not pay attention to them. Tell yourself everyday that you are beautiful, you are unique. Build up your confidence and no one will be able to make you feel that you are being laughed at.
fantasticLove52
You should totally ignore them, and you keep your head high and chin up. Don't let people get to you.
interestingFish11
I understand how frustrating it can be to feel this way. When I feel like this, I try to remind myself that they are probably not laughing at me. And, even if they are, remember that their opinion does not matter! Some people will laugh at you or criticize you for anything because they themselves are insecure and they want to pass that insecurity on to you. Whatever you do, do not get angry with them. This will worsen the problem. They will then proceed to do it, just to get a rise out of you. This is a tough issue to get through and I hope that you have good luck in handling it.
Anonymous
Realize what they think, say or do should not matter to you. Let them do what they want to do. You continue to live and be successful.
GivingstonTreegull
Try not to take things so seriously. Whether people are actually laughing at you or you just think they are laughing at you.. Try to remember that that doesn't mean it's bad! Laughing at you could be a good thing. If you are certain that it is not a positive laughter and it is making you uncomfortable feel free to walk away from the situation. You don't have to put yourself in a circumstance that makes you uncomfortable with people who don't care about your feelings. BUT other than that? Just lighten up. Maybe you could laugh along with them!
KHA123
You have to be confident in yourself. It is none of your business what others is thinking of you. Always be BOLD and yourself. Remember positive things about yourself which they don't know and keep moving.
ElegantUnicorn01
It's called the spotlight effect - we think that people are always talking about us, or always looking at us. The reality is that they're probably not even thinking about you in that moment. Imagine how long it would take to laugh at every person around you - it isn't realistic!!
SchrodingersCat00
I have struggled with the notion that people are either internally or communally laughing at me on and off throughout my life. Fretting about it drives me up the wall. When I sense that people may be laughing, I try to remember how vast the universe is, and find their laughter gets lost in my appreciation of the world for what it is, as well as appreciation for myself and even for them. We all fit here, laughter or no, we are all amazing, and laughter is only one aspect of all this.
Anonymous
I remind myself when someone in class did something embarassing. Then I remember, that in most cases nobody will remember the embarassing situation longer than one day :D
naycopax
by thinking that sometimes people have a problem within them and I may have something that triggers that issue, the best way for them to deal with their issue is by laughing at me
cuddlyDay48
Never take them seriously..and be certain that they are trying to underestimate you because deep inside they know they are bad and trying to make them selves better by doing this..Ignore them..never let them make you feel down because the careless you seem the worse they will feel.
Anonymous
See a therapist. It's an indication of Paranoia, which is a symptom of a number of psychological disorders.
straightasaflexibleruler
I try not to put too much importance on the opinion's of others. It doesn't matter if they are laughing at you or if they're not, don't care about it. It's them Not you. They have the problem.
Anonymous
They can laugh all they want. In the end, you're who you are, you're not who people think you are. Don't let them bring you down because they won't be successful in life but you will.