How do you get over the feeling that people are laughing at you?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

Shikamaru42
December 23rd, 2015 12:13pm
I personally try to keep my mind focused on the facts when such feelings arise. I mean, most of the time, if you think about it, that feeling turns out to be based on nothing but one's own insecurities. There often is little to no evidence for people actually doing that.
MusicBenjamin
Laugh at yourself as well. Recognize that life is a serious thing, but doesn't need to be taken seriously all the time. Recognize the funny and enjoyable things and laugh together. Words can't hurt you, only your perception of those words can, so let potential negativity roll off like water off a duck's back. Let's all share a laugh!
Anonymous
It's best to ignore them or laugh with them! It may be all in your head not everyone is going to be out to get you, sometimes we get paranoid
Anonymous
realize the paranoia is true, that even ur so called family will pat u on the back while betraying you. become a cold empty shell with walls on all sides, ur circle of trust. and let no one in.
MatthewTheMagical
It depends on who's laughing at me, and it depends in which way. I usually don't. I'll think about it all day, and maybe for more than a day.
Youareberrybeautiful
I tilt my head up smile and walk by to my own beat not a care in the world. Listening to music helps me block out the world around me as well, instrumental is the best!
charmingDaisy65
I know it's easy to say, but when you decide to care only what you and your closest think of you you will stop worrying what others are thinking are doing inn regards to you
Anonymous
When you think about the situations, how many times do you remember that when you laughed at someone? and how long did you laugh, do you tease him/her till date? obviously no.
Thehonesthelpergoose
Don't give in to what they want. and that is to get to you. keep your head up even though sometimes that can be tough ....its worth it in the end.
Anonymous
Spend more time with people who care about you ,close to you and truly respect you, it's important to feel loved and respected, then self suggest that every human on earth can't be like those encouraging people around you, doing anything as a small effort for yourself, works. It will take its own time, but any effort to get over that feeling is worth it, your will to overcome it will beat any negativity, trust in yourself,
Relaxedflower93
You lift up your head and walk past them. do not pay attention to them. Tell yourself everyday that you are beautiful, you are unique. Build up your confidence and no one will be able to make you feel that you are being laughed at.
Anonymous
Talk to someone about it or do something that makes me feel better and try to think of positive things instead of negative things
JD821
You should learn to celebrate your strengths and laugh at your weaknesses, only then do you have control and can get past it. If others are laughing at you at your expense, chances are they need to make fun of you to make themselves feel better. As hard as it is, just ignore it and focus on yourself. At the end of the day, you don't need anyone's approval but your own.
bouncyVision80
One should learn to laugh at themselves. Try to know the reason why people laugh at you and taking it sportingly and correcting those things. Will eventually make you a better person and make you get over the feeling.
LittleCarol
It's uncomfortable to feel as though you are being laughed at. Remind yourself that you are a valuable person and that you have the right to feel safe and supported.
fantasticLove52
You should totally ignore them, and you keep your head high and chin up. Don't let people get to you.
Anonymous
Realize what they think, say or do should not matter to you. Let them do what they want to do. You continue to live and be successful.
GivingstonTreegull
Try not to take things so seriously. Whether people are actually laughing at you or you just think they are laughing at you.. Try to remember that that doesn't mean it's bad! Laughing at you could be a good thing. If you are certain that it is not a positive laughter and it is making you uncomfortable feel free to walk away from the situation. You don't have to put yourself in a circumstance that makes you uncomfortable with people who don't care about your feelings. BUT other than that? Just lighten up. Maybe you could laugh along with them!
xItsDeex
November 1st, 2017 8:37pm
Honestly I just ignore them. When I was younger it bugged me a lot. I got the urge to have a comeback at them but I was too weak and scared to say something back so I just stayed quiet and kept it in. Somedays I did talked back to them but when that’s the case they enjoy seeing you being bothered with it. They make you question yourself and the thing they’re laughing about. It doesn’t really matter it’s either not true or none of their businesses. When you give people a vibe that might make them think that you’re a “potential victim” they'll naturally aim for you they look for the weakest that’s simply the whole math. When you ignore them or keep your head high no matter what they won’t bug you and they even can find you cooler believe it or not. Keep your head straight, shoulders back and if they try to annoy you, hurt you or laugh at you try to laugh along or even better ignore the f out of them.
SerenRIC21
I'll accept the situation, the fact I'm feeling down by some incident of people laughing at me. But I'll let myself know it's not a all time with all person situation. Even who're laughing if I can, I'll approach them politely sometimes. I'll try to know them above the laughed at me feeling. I'll let them know myself better and sometimes it changes view point. Any situation like this I try to use my hobby or any strength to fill me with positivity. It helps me to give a confidence boost. No matter what I respect myself and be ready to cope with things. I don't hesitate to right myself and be a better person if I'm wrong in something. That helps a lot.
thapi
asking people of what they think of you might end up creating some awkward moments which are not necessary one of the best ways is to do self evaluation and if you don't see a problem with yourself then lift your heard up and not think about others because there is not person who can motivate you better than yourself.
Anonymous
I remind myself when someone in class did something embarassing. Then I remember, that in most cases nobody will remember the embarassing situation longer than one day :D
naycopax
by thinking that sometimes people have a problem within them and I may have something that triggers that issue, the best way for them to deal with their issue is by laughing at me
fictionfreak09
Well, sometimes our friends and family laugh at us just for fun without actually intending any harm to us. But sometimes we are a target for bullying that often comes in the form of mockery. i think the best way to deal with such mockeries is by ignoring them, and not letting any of such words get to us. We need to believe in who we are, and not on someone else's words.
Anonymous
See a therapist. It's an indication of Paranoia, which is a symptom of a number of psychological disorders.
newcounsellor
Cognitive behavioural techniques are helpful. Feelings are not always accurate, but if we monitor our thoughts, beliefs or assumptions - and then challenge if they are true (with evidence to support it) then more often than not we find that we cannot always rely on the validity of our mind. We can challenge these thoughts, with new behaviours, or, we can simply be aware of them and let them pass though without causing too much damage to our lives.
GrizzlyGummyBear
It's always best to assume a joke or rumour isn't about you until someone has confirmed that is it about you. You'll be much happier giving others the benefit of the doubt.
Anonymous
I try to divert my attention to something else. Also i keep repeating to myself that people are not laughing.
WinterCallsHereo
Ask them if they are laughing at you, the best way to solve this one is to confront it, if they were laughing tell them you don't appreciate it and wish for it to stop.
SquidHighlight
Pretend to like yourself and fake confidence. Try to laugh at yourself when appropriate and you will feel that no one laughs at you, but with you.