How do you get over the feeling that people are laughing at you?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

Keepyourmindcalm
There are some people who judge without knowing. There are some people who stay idle. There are some people who help others. Don’t focus on the people who judge without knowing! First of all, focus on YOU. YOURSELF. If you feel comfortable with who you are becoming, you don’t need to prove anything to anyone and you have the constant feeling of being laughed at. In order to get over this feeling, you could try change the way you see yourself. If you think that other people will laugh at you before it happens, it’s like you prove them right. It means that you believe that you deserve to be laughed at. And that’s not the case! Discover what YOU like, how do YOU want your life to be, who YOU want to be! GROW! BE STRONGER! Good luck! :)
friendlyApricot1728
What works for me is the simple rule that if I'm not sure someone is laughing at me, I don't get to assume they are. They are most likely too busily focused on their own existence to notice me anyway. Maybe I am ridiculous, in which case they are rude for laughing instead of politely bringing it up and that is on them. Most likely I'm doing just fine and nobody is laughing at me, so the doubtful side of me doesn't get to assume anything is wrong. If in doubt, assume all is well. If something is truly wrong, either it will be brought up more politely, or it does not matter.
PositivitySpring68
It comes with accepting the fact that some people will not appreciate that you are different and unique. Due to that, they may give negative attention to what makes you unique. Then, you must accept yourself as you are so you can get over it. It takes courage, patience and some mental and emotional stamina. Above all, what is important in this journey is to accept that it will not happen over night or instantaneously, but rather that it will be a gradual process that you live through in order to fully blossom. all beautiful things take time and this is one of them. Patience is key.
YouMatterCare
I just say to myself "Your opinions don't matter to me. I believe in myself. I love myself and your opinions are not worth a dime to me." Just ignore them and know that if you work hard and you overcome them, you might someday be higher up than them and then you will be the one laughing. Just know that karma will bite them in the bum at the worst time that it could. Laughing at people won't get them anywhere but the bottom of the world. People need to be careful about just who they laugh at.
lauren2023
It sounds really cliché, but what really helps me most when I feel like someone is laughing at me is knowing that it's never personal. Every person on Earth has their own life and things to do, and it's extremely unlikely they'd spend all or even some of their time laughing at me. Besides, we're all humans, and even though none of us can read each others minds, we trust that there's still thoughts inside everyones head. And a lot of those thoughts are anxious. So in most cases, they're probably worried about the same things and you. Maybe they think that someone else is laughing at them?
sweetlife101
People normally laugh for different things in life. If someone is laughing at you, just know that it isn't the end of the world. we can all encourage ourselves and let ourselves know that we have tried our best in that situation and that't the only thing we can do. You just have to ignore the people who laughs at you as the people who laughs at someone have also been laughed at before, therefore creating a cycle of life. You are not alone in this as everyone gets laughed at in one point or another in life and that is okay!
Anonymous
Sometimes you feel like people are laughing at you all the time, and it's a really uncomfortable feeling. My way of dealing with it might sound a bit depressing, but it's not really. I just think about the fact that everyone has their own life, and most people will be too busy thinking about themselves to worry about you or what you are doing. When i get the feeling people are laughing at me I just try to put things into perspective and not worry about what others think. It really helps me a lot to think this way about this situation.
Anonymous
I get over it by trying not to think about it. By ignoring the problem you can temporarily solve it by waiting until you are ready to deal with it head on. If I can't ignore it for long then I try to find other ways to preoccupy me so I don't get distracted by them. Finding hobbies that I like or am good at is a good way to distract myself from others laughing at me. I can never truly stop them, but I can suppress them allowing them to never be able to get to me and hurt me with their words.
Anonymous
Remember that everyone feels the same way and that everyone is in their own head as much as you. Feeling this way is definitely normal, it is very much ok to feel this way. Laughing at yourself instead of getting down after mistakes are made is also a great way to help yourself. Having a supportive and reassuring community around yourself during times when you feel embarrassed or like you are being laughed at is another great way to get over this feeling. In short, others are just as worried about this feeling as you and a good support system will help you laugh at yourself.
Effy2209
I used to smile awkwardly and hoped for this thing to end. But now I try to detach myself from that moment. Try not to take it personally. Asking myself, do they really want to hurt me? are they really that mean and toxic? if the answer is yes, then I should reduce my time spending with them. If the answer is no, then that's alright. I sometimes may laugh at them too. I will try to recall the last time I do the same to somebody, and do I actually take it personally? Most of the time, it's just light-hearted moment, just like laughing at a meme. It doesn't linger on my mind for more than 5 minutes. So are they.
HaveFaith0808
Feeling judged or laughed at by others can make you feel very anxious when talking to people, yet these fears of judgment may not be what they seem. Many people who struggle with these fears often have underlying anxiety about meeting new people or talking to crowds, so it is common for them to feel like they are behind judged behind their back or laughed at. To get over this feeling, you have to be confident in yourself and your ability to distinguish your negative and intrusive thoughts, from your positive ones. If you think people are laughing at you, simply ask yourself why; why would they be laughing at you? What reason do they have? Are you just minding your own business but you feel you are being judged? These thoughts are intrusive and make you feel small and powerless. But you can take the power back by diminishing these thoughts, and thinking that they bring nothing positive to your life, they're just bringing you down. Try to look around you the next time you're in a situation where you're feeling judged. Is anyone even looking at you, or do you just feel the thoughts are only in your head? Take back the power, and maybe talk to friends or family about how you are feeling and if they notice if people are laughing at you too.
Anonymous
When I was certain that people were laughing at me, it made me feel small and sad. It made me feel very lonely. But I learned to not focus on the laughter, perceived or real. Instead, I focused on the things that I could do well. I built up my own confidence in the things I enjoyed and then the laughter did not matter much anymore. They were laughing at the small, insignificant me, not the powerful, confident, awesome me. I like that me much better, and there is not anything more to laugh at.
Sunshine4691
November 21st, 2020 9:38pm
When one experiences the feeling or thoughts that others are laughing at them, its time to take an inventory as to whether or not there is validity to these concerns. No one likes to be the brunt of other's jokes. It's important to ensure that we are seeing value in ourselves as much as being valued by others. This contributes directly to our overall mental health. Once this baseline has been established, its time to start analyzing! Start off with making a chart that has 5 columns. Label the columns as follows: 1. What's happening; 2. Thoughts/Feelings; 3. Evaluate thoughts/feelings; 4. Alternate thoughts/feelings;5. Re-evaluate thoughts/feelings. In the first column you're going to describe the event that led to the unpleasant thoughts or feelings. In column 2, record your thoughts or feeling and rate your belief in them from 0% to 100%. In the third column evaluate the accuracy of the thoughts and feelings. In the fourth column generate an alternative response/thought to the situation and in the fifth column, re-rate the emotion and your belief in the thought from 0% to 100%. This exercise might need the guidance or input of a secondary perspective to begin. The possibility exists of managing these things independently and without the use of the chart. In time, the re-evaluation process can begin to take just moments, before our thoughts and feelings are aligned with a healthy valuing of ourselves and others.
Anonymous
First thing look all around yourself, there are a lot of things to think about. And now look at those people , they also think about other things, according to fact a person have more than 50000 thoughts in a day and if they think about you that much still it's just around 2% of their thoughts. Exactly that Instagram posts , on which 70% posts doesn't even exist, so now you can say let them laugh untill they hurt you physically. Why to care about others when you even not exist. They are laughing but it will disappear with time. You can't go in past, nor in future things which happened in past can't appear again. All things depend on brain command it eventually you will find something great.