How to deal with people that are bad mouthing me?

Danielle Johnson, MSED, Community mental Health Counseling, LMHC

Sometime situations and feelings can be so strong that we struggle to function. You are not alone! My practice is flexible and open-minded and tailored to your personal needs.

razorback30
I've been through this situation before. I've been to public places, and even had friends talk about me. Its sad, but you know what. I don't care what they say. Their opinion doesn't matter. In our mexican culture the saying goes, "If you have nothing to hide, then don't worry about it. Besides what they say has nothing to say about you, it says a lot about them. 1. Don't Worry 2. Keep your head up 3. Kill em' with kindness- (then go about your business) Have a great day! :)
MsWhite
Somebody said, "Ignorance is bliss". This holds true for your situation. Ignore them, they will eventually stop. Actions speak louder than words. Prove that you are NOT what they say you are, through your actions. Eventually, your actions will outweigh their bad-mouthing.
Elvalight
May 3rd, 2017 6:06am
Nobody can make you feel any way if you don't want them to. If someone tries to make you feel small, you don't have to let them. They are simply trying to make themselves feel better about themselves, feeding their ever so hungry ego. They are not any more special than you are. You have every right to ignore every thing they say and shut down that thought process before it becomes an insecurity.
TheBabyLion
You can't really "control" how people speak, can you? Their words more often than not speak about their inner state rather about you. I'd choose one of 3 ways in a situation like this: 1) Leave a conversation; 2) Attempt to read how the person is really feeling/what's bothering or triggering a person; 3) Respond with kindness and appreciation as to demonstrate a leadership in setting the atmosphere that everyone may enjoy being in.
Anonymous
It is best to ignore them and continue being you. We all make mistakes, we all improve from time to time! Just be yourself and try not to give it back to them. Remain friendly, even if it isnt the easiest decision.
Anonymous
ignore them because once they realize they are ignored they will stop because they are not getting the satisfaction they are seeking
lovelizze
If you have been criticised by someone, it doesn't necessarily mean that there's something wrong about you. Sometimes, what they say about you is a reflection of their own insecurities.
Anonymous
August 3rd, 2016 3:17am
Ah to understand that they may be (very likely) in pain themselves and to try and see why this said to you and to look for ways to show unconditional love and kindness to these people. It can feel really good to show grace.
BTDT
First off I know that sometimes people just lash out at others, reasons they do are not as important as knowing that sometimes they do. Depending on the conversation/situation compassion and understanding can help avoid me taking this personally. If this kind of treatment continues or continues to escalate then it is time to ask them politely not do this. Again this really depends on the situation. If it is just a way for another to vent what they are feeling then I don't have an issue with allowing them to continue, but if they are just being mean then I would have to ask them to stop. If they don't respect my request then I would point out to them how they were being mean or bad mouthing me and if that still doesn't work then I would have to end the conversation. Depending on what was done/said will determine if I report them or not. Last think I would want to do is report them but will if necessary. Biggest thing for me is to not take this personally!
Chinmay96
It's easier to say that we should ignore those people as they are not important to us or they have no right to bad mouth us. But ignoring them in reality is difficult, if we do that with real patience it would work, but in my case I have found sarcasm works always. A perfect answer to their taunts makes them feel we aren't weak and thus won't target us. (ofcourse we shouldn't be like them and even Bad mouth about them)
2cupsofteaa
If you care about them, confront them about it and let them know that it hurts your feelings. If not, they are not worth your time!
AbsoIet
Always focus on those who think in a different way about you, and avoid those persoms who bad mouth you, they are probably reflecting things they don't like about themselves in you, so feeling empathy sometimes helps too.
mahmoodali
From personal experience, it is a good idea to just be silent and try not to react impulsively. Keep your shoulders up and never show signs of anger, disgust or frustration. If it is overwhelming, just leave the place.
Anonymous
October 2nd, 2016 4:38am
If you can cut those people out of your life I recommend that. If you can't ignore it, don't feed them..
EricaAnne
It's understandable that you will be emotionally affected by what people think of you. It's alright to be concerned, but don't let your fear consume you. Don't worry, regardless of how bad it seems, rumours always die off because old news gets boring. Don't add fuel to the fire and just keep doing what you do. There's no pointing altering your behaviour because it shows that you're affected by what they say. As long as you have a clean conscience, all will be good. Don't retaliate. You're better than they are. :)
SympatheticPrune2001
Just ignore them. More often than not they are jealous, or feel the need to be mean to manage their own feelings or problems.
silentmirror1995
You can imagine an invisible eraser and make it drag across their physique, as if to erase them totally. As if they don't exist. And then, you'll find them not deserving the slightest of your attention.
Anonymous
Remember that people only bad mouth people who do better than them. People only talk negatively of people because it makes them feel in control. However, if several people agree, it is time to reflect. Is there something you've done? An energy you give off? While some people do it for fun, other people do it in fear.
Anonymous
I understand that such a situation is usually particularly distressing​ to anyone. You need to know that at the end of the day that if it is really not true what they are saying about you then don't pay it too much mind.
emsydalistens
Tell a trusted adult. Consult a therapist or close friend. Bullying is a serious matter and can do serious harm in the long run, so don't keep it to yourself. Also, don't add fuel to the fire by bullying back. That will only make them push back harder. Instead, kill them with kindness so that they feel guilty about what they've done.
Angelsupporter9
Tell them straight that they need to come to you if they have something to say, or tell someone that could help you stop them together
Anonymous
People who bad mouth others tend to be insecure about themselves. Holding your head up high and not letting what these people say about you, get to you is the best way to handle something like this because it shows that you are strong and the better person for rising above.
AngelOliviaHelper
Totally ignore them and tell yourself they're jealous and haters. Dont act back and make it worse, be the bigger person!
Anonymous
It doesn’t feel good to be bad mouthed by other people. Sometimes it downright sucks because what they are bad mouthing about you can feel mean. You do have options, but it’s important to understand that you know your situation best and some options will be more relevant for you than others. Sometimes ignoring the situation is best, sometimes laughing it off with lighthearted self deprecating humor is better, sometimes it feels okay to privately talk to the person who is bad mouthing you. Those are by no means an inclusive list of options. Regardless of what is best for you, remember that it’s always helpful to have someone who can listen to this problem.
Anonymous
People bad mouthing you can be a horrible situation and make your life very difficult. One way is to simply ignore it and not start any drama. Some people will talk bad about you to get a reaction. You can also address the person who is bad mouthing. Be direct but try working towards a solution. If all fails, you can always go to a trusted adult WHICH is perfectly okay and does not make you a "snitch".
Anonymous
Ignore them, their thoughts and opinions don't matter, what's important is being happy and satisfied with yourself regardless of other's agendas.
Anonymous
You should 1. turn the other cheek and tell a trusted adult 2.If you cant turn the other cheek result to no physical violence if possible if it comes to that and hopefully it wont seek a counselor and tell them how you are feeling and why you took on those actions because where im from we follow G.O.L.D. G- grow in mind, body, and spirit. O- own your actions. L- lead by example. D- dream BIG!!! So dont let those people that bad mouth you bother you ignore them and follow G.O.L.D it will help you improve and move on past the sight of the bad mouthers.
AbigailM83
It is so, so difficult to get past other people's negative, hurtful, and insensitive comments about you. Nobody deserves to be harassed or treated with undue disrespect. It's important, though, to stay calm and not lash out at people who are frustrating you. Focus on yourself. Only you know your true self, not them. It's okay to be angry, but they are not worth it. You are above them. You can be better than they are. If the harassment gets to be too much for you to handle, confide in someone that you trust. A parent or friend can help you stay positive about yourself and can take control if things get out of hand. Stay strong.
MindfulMiss88
February 23rd, 2019 6:54pm
Let people talk. If my name is on there tongue im flattered clearly they see fit to spend there precious time spending time on me. Good or bad what people say always says more about themselves than it does the person whom there speaking about. To be more assertive one could approach said people and confront them about what has been said. It depends on the context the people if i would approach. Sometimes I can't be bothered to spend my time worried about what others think, I did that enough in my early 20's. Life is now about living and enjoying!
Joye74
This is the toughest one I find. Sometimes, I don't find a single person in my favor. In those situation, the best thing I do is to ignore the person who is doing so. Sometimes, when people bad mouth what ever goes around comes around. Also, they themselves create bad impression on others by criticizing. They are weak and insecure. Criticism is their weapon. They can't live without it. It is worth staying strong. Somewhere I heard that if you are in criticisms that means your doing something awesome. Remember all the landmark discovery happened in the mist of criticisms.