How to deal with people that are bad mouthing me?

Danielle Johnson, MSED, Community mental Health Counseling, LMHC

Sometime situations and feelings can be so strong that we struggle to function. You are not alone! My practice is flexible and open-minded and tailored to your personal needs.

lovingLynx89
Stay calm, focus on something positive. Think of ways to impact the other person in such a positive way they get stop being upset.
Anonymous
September 2nd, 2016 10:51am
Many people would tell you to ignore them but I'll open two choices for you. You can ignore them, acting like you don't care. Sooner or later, they'll leave you alone, hopefully. Or you could fight back, telling them how you feel. It's time to shine. Let them know you won't be pushed down.
Anonymous
Simply shut down the conversation. You don't need to take that kind of treatment. If things are really bad then you can report the person. Always shut down conversations that become sexual.
Anonymous
You can only be the best you that you can be, stand your ground, be honest, open, and civil. If other people behave otherwise, that is their choice; ultimately it is a choice you cannot control or take blame for. Some people are mean people: they are struggling with their own things in poor, unhealthy ways. Eventually these people will be a figment of your memories. Perseverence may be the game. If they are interfering with your day-to-day well-being and causing you ongoing anxiety, depression, or fear, it's okay to reach out to a friend, superior, or even a counsellor for help or advise.
lyricalSunshine89
Depends on if you're doing the right thing. If they are wrong then you should try fighting back. Stand up for yourself if it doesnt stop then just ignore them.
TheIrrationalBuddhist20
If it is in a work setting, tell your manager. Also, remember to not let it get to you! Know the person is wrong and most likely has no clue who you truly are!
Anonymous
The best solution is generally to just ignore them. Once they see you refuse to stoop to their level, they will eventually get bored and stop.
IronicallyGeminiLeo
Be patient and polite, ask why they're doing so, and if they could refrain from it. If not, just clear up any misconceptions and try to ignore them.
Anonymous
Report them, block them, ask them to stop in a nice way. Bad mouthing may not always be the user's fault however, as some simply have been raised in such a family where activities like these become accustomed.
Anonymous
Don't bad mouth them back. Ignore it if you can, or confront them in a respectful manner rather than lashing out at them in the midst of anger.
helloimanna
Block 'em! I know it's short but it's the first step. If they're bad mouthing you in real life, just walk away. It'll fade away. Show them that you're so cool you don't care what they say!
PastelBlossoms
Instead of trying to fight back I just ignore them. The people hat badmouth are just jealous of you and probably trying to draw attention to themselves. If you don't react they'll get tired of you and move on.
Eromentos
I believe that you should always surround yourself with loving and caring people. That said, there is no point in even spending time on people that do not respect you. Ignore them and block them, so you can spend more time with friends and people that do respect you, and you like hanging out with. Time spent on disrespectful people is time wasted.
Lovetheskinyourin
The best solution for this in my experience is to ignore it. You can't give fire to something that's not true
SpecialKae24
Turn the other cheek and ignore it. Don't sink to their level. Say nice things about them in return.
emmaTree123
I find that the issue is usually the person I am talking with is agrivated. I tell them that I don't want to talk to them now and will continue the conversation later.
SaraSenpai
Either confront them and tell them how you feel or report this to someone in authority if you're younger such as a teacher or parents. If you are going to confront them, ask them how they'd feel in your situation. If that doesn't work, just ignore them. It's hard to do but when they see that they have no impact on you, they'll stop.
FloatingRainbow
In my experience, the best way to deal with people bad mouthing you is to simply remember that any way others see you is completely down to them. Their own actions and words are not a reflection on yourself at all. Remember you can't always control how people view you but you can control how you choose to react to their negativity.
Bloons
Act professional, don't take it personally. If its a way of them dealing with their emotions it is ok, we all have different ways of expressing how we feel. But if they are only negative towards me, its just a way of them dealing with their own insecurities. If I cannot do anything about that, I will end the conversation in a nice manner and help the next person.
Anonymous
Ignore them. Most of the times, the people bad mouthing you are only creating a bad reputation for themselves. The fact that they are bad mouthing others is only a reflection of themselves and their characters and not of the ones they intend to affect.
Dan502
If you are allowing another person to determine how you feel, you need to deal with yourself first. If you're angry or sad or hurt, you might not react well. Try to find some peace in yourself. Then you can think about whether anything needs to be said or done to the other person.
Anonymous
Be the better person and don't let what they say get to you. You have the power to control your mind and you should base yourself in your own judgement because not everyone is going to like you and that's okay, as long as you're happy with who you are .
Anonymous
If they're close to you, talk to them. Make it clear that you won't stand for that. If you don't think of them as close, just ignore it, it doesn't have high chances of effecting your life in the long run.
GracefulWitness04
there is two things that you can do in this situation. 1) ignore it, turn your back and show them it doesn't bother you. Or 2) you stand up for yourself...confront the demons in your life thats hurting you and putting you down, show them that they can't easily just bad mouth you and get away with it. show them there are consequences
Anonymous
There are different ways you can approach this depending on what you feel comfortable doing. One option would be to approach them and confront them about what they've heard, you can speak to a guidance counselor or trusted adult about acting as a medium for speaking to them, or you can ignore it. In terms of ignoring it, this means that you need to feel secure in yourself and understand that the people bad mouthing you are in the wrong.
Kaleidoscope86
Always remember: you can't control other peoples' behavior, but you can control your interpretation of it and your reaction to it. If it would make you feel better to confront the person, do so in a way that is direct, constructive and respectful. If you don't feel the need to confront the person, carry on knowing that their actions have nothing to do with you.
Anonymous
I confront them about what they're doing and how it offends me. I approach them in a calm manner and talk to them.
Anonymous
don't listen to them. When people bad mouthing me (it's happen a lot when i was at school), i just ignore them and do what I want to do. with time, they acknowledge me and heasite to say anything bad to me, Because they know I don't care at all about them.
Anonymous
The best way to deal with people who keeps on badmouthing you, in my opinion, is to just let them be. They are only doing that to make themselves feel better, but that makes them lesser that who you truly are because they are destroying a person's character just for them to feel good about themselves.
Alexander121
IGNORE THEM! Its the best way to go about it really, go home maybe wright all your feelings down then throw the paper away, its helps more than you think, remember, itll all be over soon :)