How to deal with people that are bad mouthing me?

Danielle Johnson, MSED, Community mental Health Counseling, LMHC

Sometime situations and feelings can be so strong that we struggle to function. You are not alone! My practice is flexible and open-minded and tailored to your personal needs.

Alexander121
IGNORE THEM! Its the best way to go about it really, go home maybe wright all your feelings down then throw the paper away, its helps more than you think, remember, itll all be over soon :)
Anonymous
Block them. Don't feed into their little games. Report and block immediately. Right after you see their trying to bring you down, block them!
sweetUnicorns83
I see that isnt funny. You should talk with your parents about this and until further action try to ignore it
readingDream88
Just ignore them! Those people are usually ones that have nothing better to do. Don't take it personally - if you don't show that it bothers you, then they have no reason to do it.
Anonymous
Try and be nice to them and ignore any harsh words or behaviour thrown your way. Ignore their behaviour and don't retaliate to it.
whimsicalLove17
How Do i deal with people bad mouthing me? . I simply try to understand where they're coming from on an observant scale :-) , that usually helps me understand what they are going through and I find compassion in my heart to disregard any sort of behavior just understanding :)
Anonymous
For me, I always treat them like air. I understand that I am the best at what I do, and nothing will change that.
ashouldertocryon1
my personal experience would be to approach them calmly and ask for the reason why they are doing it. sometimes it could be a misunderstanding and they dont know the real you. but do not go in aggressively as this could cause a lot of problems
spearstar
Ignore them completely. They don't deserve your time. You will find such people in every phase of your life.
savlilley
Ignore them or talk to them ask them why try and make friends be nice to them they want attention so they harass you for it instead give them the attention of being friends
Leahjadex1
Ignore them as best as you can and if it still carries on speak to someone higher up for them to take action, never feel asif your alone and you have to deal with that because you don’t.
iliketurtlesthemost72
I tell them that what they're doing isn't nice, isn't hurting me, and isn't making you look like a nice person.
ChillPill47
There are many ways to deal with people who are badmouthing you. In my experience, it's important to keep your cool while it's occurring. Be mindful of your emotional arousal and try your best to tame it. If you find it difficult to control your emotions, allow them to run their course and just observe them in a detached manner. This way, you'll avoid any unnecessary extra stress. Avoid antagonizing the badmouther, because this will just lead to more abuse from them. One thing you can do is let the person know that their behavior is rude and inappropriate; however, do not harbor any high expectations here, because abusers rarely admit their wrongdoing, especially during the heat of the moment. Usually, the best thing you can do in these situations is ignore them and move on. If they wanna dwell on negativity, that's their prerogative. You don't have to accompany them.
Anonymous
I know the easiest answer would be to ignore them. Though that can help, You should talk to someone about it.
Jamasito
I honestly think people that are bad mouthing others should be ignored. It is important to know yourself, and to keep in mind that whatever the people who are bad mouthing you are saying, don't let it bring you down.
neverendinglife10
I try not to bad mouth them back because that only escalates the situation and helps no one. I try to understand what is causing them to say these things and either ignore it or figure out the best plan of action.
overtherainbow17
I usually see how long they're doing it. I also try and give thought to why they may be giving me disrespect, or others; including themselves. Might it be their home life, friends, mental health, physical health, schooling, work, stress, just their personality, myself, others, etc. Usually I try and ask if there's something going on that they'd want to talk about and if they are willing, if they are, then I am here for them. And if not, I respect that.
zahi7899
Everyone has experienced bad-mouthing from someone, somewhere in their lives. And as much as I may sound like your mother, 'ignore them'. Have you ever seen a toddler crying for attention? They cry more and more until they get what they want, but if they don't, then they give up and sulk. If you give in, all they do is keep on doing it. I have had many bullies and 'haters' give up and walk away very quickly because I just didn't show that I cared!
Crystalskies15
Ignore them and tell them it's not true. If they don't listen, just focus on the people who are there for you. If others ask about it, confirm that it's not true
XanderDream
People who had a bad mouth are just angry people and we should just ignore them and give them a comforting smile. It does not help to bad mouth in return as you were just putting yourself into more trouble and give them what they wanted, to make you be like them. Don't allow that.
ConnerAlexzander
Count in your head, however long you need to, just don't stop. If you find you are still angry after this, say the word "bubbles" Over and over. No one can be mad when they're saying bubbles.
Navomi4u
dont give them the satisfaction of being sad. These are the people who feel better about them self by bringing others down.
Engineeringhappiness
ignore them and mind your own business. they will realize what they have done to wrong and they will stop
Anonymous
Going through this can be so rough. No matter what, don't let the comments get to you. If there's someone you trust who you can talk to about what's going on, that could really help. It's terrible situation but eventually you'll get through it.
Anonymous
March 23rd, 2018 1:23pm
Try to understand their situation and see if they have been stressed or having a problem lately. Their response may be a sign where they are in need of someone to talk to or simply trying to ask help.
AlluraNine9
Without context of situation the words I have to offer will be vague. First thing to consider, are they people whose opinion of you truly matters? Sometimes we place too much value on the opinions of people who are not significant in our lives giving them far too much power over us. If they’re not a friend (and I would say they are not) or family then what they say probably doesn’t matter. That isn’t to say it doesn’t still hurt. Two- we can’t control what others do but we can control how we react. Especially in younger individuals, the goal of bad mouthing is often to get a response. If you don’t reward their behavior with distress then it may subside or even stop. 3- can you document it? If it is in a school or work environment taking proof to management or staff can help get you the help you need to get the behavior stopped. If you don’t have proof you should still consider reporting the incidents in case you need to escalate things.
Anonymous
ignore it, there Is no such thing as a good response to a bully or person talking about you, take it as a compliment that they think about you.
Luke10
Nothing. People throw rocks at things that shines as per Taylor Swift :D Just ignore them and continue to be happy.
Anonymous
Ignore them. And if you can't then stay away from them. Or just ask other people around you to help you get away from these sorts of people.
MadisonNicole16
The difference is major. Teasing is just like saying someone looks like maybe they just woke up. Bullying is telling someone they would be better off dead.