I'm being bullied at work, what should I do?

Zeina Ghoul, LLPC

I help guide clients to create positive change in a non-judgmental and supportive atmosphere.

endearingShiny21
As someone who was bullied as a child( as most of us are) I have come to learn that yes it is so important to share what you are going through and to have the chance to talk and to process. It's important to recognize and explore how it makes you feel but it is also important to have a chance to talk about the fact that the person or people who are bullying you are going through their own things as well and that bullying you is a reflection of their own struggles with life. It's important for us all to have compassion for ourselves and for those who cause us harm in life. We are all of us trying to find our way in this world and it is seldom easy and we all do things that we feel bad for or regret but the best thing that we can do is to learn from each and every experience that we have and to grow into the good people that we want to be.
HopieRemi
First off, I am sorry you're being bullied at work. Have you tried to talking to HR about the abusive people in your work setting? How do you feel about going to the boss?
bubblegumJet65
Being bullied really sucks, but living with it and not telling anyone can be suck even more. Tell someone you really trust, bullying needs to stop and talking about it can help.
Anonymous
YES! You need to tell someone. It's never going to stop or change unless someone knows about it. No one is going to know about it unless you say something. I know it's difficult and it's okay to be afraid, but telling someone is the best thing that you can do.
Oniichan
June 2nd, 2016 10:26am
Regardless of how you might feel or any threats you've been told, you need to report any harassment to your HR department if you have one, or directly to your boss. Be firm and respectful to your boss and let them know this is really effecting you. Do not be afraid of the bullies, stand up for yourself.
Anonymous
You can speak to a specialist to help you conquer your fears/ assumptions. You can also speak to a friend/ colleague at work to see if they can see the same problems as you, if so you can speak to your boss about work place discrimination.
Anonymous
Tell your manager, maybe they can set down consequences. Or can suggest ways to make this better. Get some outside input
IrisViolet
The nature of the bullying will likely have an effect on how you deal with it. Have you tried speaking to your bully/bullies to give them a chance to change their behaviour. Have you spoken to your supervisor or human resources about what's going on? It's a good idea to keep records or exactly what has happened and when it happened and who was involved, that way you have evidence/examples of the bullying behaviour when you speak out. Iknow the thought of speaking out can be scary, but things are unlikely to change unless you do. Another option would be to look for another job, but frankly you shouldn't have to be forced out by bullies. Your employer has a legal responsibility to ensure a healthy working environment so they have a responsibility to address any bullying within the workplace.
Anonymous
yes, telling people you are being bullied will be a great help. i used to get bullied all the time in high school. I always was down&depressed, but once i told my mother and the principal it all got sorted. So i suggest talking to someone about this as this ca benefit you a lot.
Anonymous
yes. absolutely. when i was being bullied myself back then, i thought that no one should know and i regretted that deeply. until now, though i try to act brave in front of my friends, there are still times that even the smallest hints of bullying scares me. it leaves a scar and not telling anybody that you can trust makes it worse.
Alex93
Yes, By no means are you deserving of any kind of mistreatment from anybody. You deserve Respect and safety from everyone around you at all times. Nobody is an exception.
Tito
Yes you should! The first thing you should do is tell someone, in order to show that you will do something about your situation, and that the bullies can't continue what they're doing. Also, it allows you to receive some support regarding your situation.
RobynCares
I believe that all people that are being bullied should reach out for help. It's unfair for people to suffer in silence, especially when there are people that can help.
Arkelight
You definitely should. This isn't something that you should have to deal with on your own. Most adults will respond positively and you will be able to get the support that you need.
Anonymous
It may seem like a very cliche answer, but yes tell a trusted adult, family member, or even a close, trusted friend. You need to tell someone who can help you, because bullying is a very serious thing. It may not seem like the best thing but in the end, hopefully you have received the support and help you need.
neverletlifetakeyourspark
April 2nd, 2015 6:05am
Tell someone! Don't go through this alone; It isn't your fault.
Anonymous
Yes, you should not suffer in silence. Until someone does something about it, tell as many people as it takes. Telling the right people immediately can really make a difference. Parents, Teachers, school administrators, your HR department, etc. are all good places to start. You can also look into restraining orders if the bullying is persistent and unrelenting. This should only be considered if the bullying is interrupting your life and happiness and the person refuses to listen, communicate, or change their behavior. You can file a restraining order against a minor if the bullying is severe enough (in the US), which might be a good option if the school proves incapable or unwilling to deal with the issue. If a restraining order is successful, then action can be taken against the school or workplace for failing to deal with the problem.
Anonymous
In my personal experience, telling multiple adults that you are being bullied is the best way to overcome the issue. They can support you aswell as fix the problem.
Anonymous
If you're being bullied, you should definitely tell someone. I know it can be really hard to tell someone when this is happening, but they don't go away if you stand back and let them continue. Telling someone will not only help to stop them, but it will provide you with some support when it's happening
Maricellac
Ofcourse, its important to seek help and talk out it with somone you trust its an important step to ending the problem.
Firelily
Talking to someone and asking for help when you are being bullied is very useful in being able to cope with emotions and feelings involved and also how to best deal with the situation and what the right steps to take are.
HighHopes25
You should definitely inform someone you trust of this. You simply can't let it go on. If you can't stop it yourself, you need someone to help you stop it. I would suggest telling a family member or counsellor. I wish you all the best and please stand up for yourself, you deserve better!
Jigglemajiggle
Of course. It doesn't help to not tell anyone. I mean just talking to people really helps. You should tell someone because you need support. Everyone needs support.
Anonymous
always tell someone because they can put a stop to it something should be done. Theres other kids out there needing help think about them
Anonymous
Yes! You defiantly should. If you want it to be anonymous, then use 7cupsoftea in the category of bullying or talk to an adult that you trust about it.
BeautifulMist62
Just so you know, Bullying is not correct in any way, shape or form, and it is perfectly normal for you to feel hurt from it. I am so sorry to hear that you are being bullied and it is understandable that you might have some fears in telling somebody that you are being bullied. It can be scary to tell someone but I want you to know that using your voice is the most efficient weapon against the bully. Staying silent helps the bullies but speaking up and telling a trusted adult, teacher, or school counselor will help stop it. I'm worried about your well-being. I urge you to talk to someone you trust about your situation at school, and how it's hindering you from making progress during your most important year. Also, in case you're interested, www.bullying.org is a website where you can find more information and support on the topic, and www.pacerteensagainstbullying.org is a website that increases awareness about bullying and offers resources and support to parents, teachers and victims of bullying.
catherine13
Yes, you should. When it comes to bullying sharing always helps. Whether the person helps you get the bullies to stop or just supports you and tries to help you, you would feel better, if you're not alone.
ImLittleM
If you are being bullied the first thing you should do is tell someone. Telling someone, and speaking up about being bullied is the way to resolve this issue. Other people can help you to not be bullied, and talk to the bully.
ConallBranagin
Please tell someone that you are being bullied. If you are in school tell a trusted teacher, counselor or other trusted adult. Do not suffer alone.
RaeOfHope
YES! you are not alone, and so many people are willing to help you. It doesn't make you weak, but rather proves that you are strong and not willing to take bullying. Your telling someone could also prevent another person from being bullied by the same person.