Is it my fault I get bullied?

Kristin Noyes, MSW, LCSW

Depression and anxiety can feel overwhelming even on the best of days. I believe in helping clients understand these disorders and help them to reduce and manage symptoms.

MoonsweptDreams
Bullying is never the victim's fault. Bullies should be held, and often are, accountable for their actions. Like anyone else, they have the gift of self-control. Whether they decide to use it or not is up to them.
Bella20
No of course not! Bullies normally bully because they are unhappy or jealous or trying to make others feel as miserable as them. It's never your fault that you are getting bullied.
Samuelll
Nope it is not, victim blaming is not ok. Although people argue that certain behaviors invite bullying, such as being different or acting outside of social norms. Being assertive and telling the appropriate people can help reduce bullying. For example telling other teachers in school could help as teachers would hopefully intervene and the bully would be more hesitant to continue his/her behavior. Aside from that, learning how to ignore bullies or recognize their behavior can make you more resilient as a person.
Enigmatica
Not at all. Bullying is a result of someone feeling the need to put someone else down, and if you're being bullied it's not your fault, just your unfortunate. I'm sad to hear that you're in this position. But remember you're not at fault, and you're wonderful
IAmAStrawberry15
It is most definitely not your fault! No one has ever done anything to deserve being bullied, and you are certainly not an exception.
Anonymous
No, it is the bullies own insecurities.