My friend is always negative towards me. What do I do?

Dorothy Paige, MS Psychology

I believe that any issue that prevents one from living life to the fullest or prevents self love is defeating. I am committed to providing support to anyone who seeks help.

Supergirl94
Talk to them. Tell them what they do or say that hurts you, why it makes you feel that way and why you feel it is negative and that they are negative towards you. They may not realize they are being that way. And if they are, ask why they are being that way. Communicate with them :)
Anonymous
Stop talking to them , you don't need negative energy around you we already live in it so why hang with people like that. Hopefully that helped a bit.
Anonymous
Talk to them about it, they may not realise what they are doing, communication is vital in the up keeping of a friendship.
Anonymous
Think of your friend's arguments. Evaluate objectively which of them are true for you. If they're truely negative and are not supported then think of why your friend might be doing it and contact them.
EmberUK74
Accept their opinion and look at myself to see what I can change or do differently to deal with any issues I'm having, as well as acknowledge that my friend may have their own issues influencing them to feel the way they do.
Anonymous
It happens that by experience of the world . People out grow friendship,friends and relationships over certain period Of Time they stop avoiding you. You can try to get Them back but it doesn't work .If They comeback and keep friendship for lifetime it is puregold that you have Warmth of one good companionship. If They don't return and never listen to avoid you . It will ruin your mental health and self esteem(necessary for your own growth) you should be more caring about yourself ofcourse you can try to get back your friends you should'nt give up but people who are Meant to be with you and care About you never Leave your side , just like your parents.
starryWords88
Address them about it! In a lot of cases, the friend doesn't always know what they are doing in those situations.
dandelionwish
Be positive! Eventually your positive attitude will rub off on him/her.. Just don't let them get you down. If it's getting you down, try putting some healthy distance between her and yourself.
Anonymous
Do not respond negatively towards them. Try to find the reason why they respond this way. If not talk to a trusted adult, and ask them to help you. If not, try to ignore them. Or ask them why they are doing this.
Anonymous
Talk to your friend and tell them how you feel and stay positive if that doesn't work you don't need him as a friend
imheretohelpyouXx
well I think you should try talking to your friend and perhaps ask them why they are doing so towards you. you could also try telling them how it makes you feel. good luck x
Anonymous
Talk to them. See what's up and if their okay. Maybe try acting more positive around this person.
Anonymous
Ask them why they feel this way towards you. Distance yourself a little bit and wait for her to come to you.
Foreverhappyxo
You can talk to them about how there negative vibe is towards you and just explain what you would like them to do to help make things. More positive
Valdez
I would request to speak to her in private and find out what's bothering her. If she's willing to share then I'll listen. However it's important to understand that rarely does people do things because of you but rather because of themselves. Hence I'll walk away from her if the situation doesn't improve. I deserves better.
Anonymous
Ignore them if they can't help you in your bad time then they don't deserve to be in your good time .
prettypenguin124
perhaps talk to your friend about it. maybe something is affecting them? and if their attitude bothers you, and they won't change how they act towards you, then perhaps put the friendship on hold, or hang out with your other friends for a little while. perhaps your friend just needs some space :)
Anonymous
Understand that he/she's not really that great a friend, if a friend at all. Find the people in your life who encourage them and hold on tighter to their friendship....
2cupsofteaa
Take to your friend about why she or he is negative towards you. Maybe you'll discover that it's all in your head or that he or she did not realize they are treating you that way
FluffyUnicornKenny
You should tell your friend. tell your friend what you feel about the negativity, and that you actually dont like it.
Anonymous
talk to them first that they are hurting you and that if they don't have anything positive to say either don't tell me or just stop being friends with me. If they continue just stop being friends with them and ignore them completely.
Alexisheretohelpyou2
Well, if your friend is negitive towards you, then she isn't a true friend. Friends should life each other up, not tear each other down. If I was you, I'd ask her what is the reason she's acting that way, and if he behavior continues, it might be time to find some better friends...
turtlelyfe
If your friend is always mean to you, I would tell you that they aren't a great friend, if you care about yourself then I would tell you to consider leaving that friendship, if you're deeply invested, I would tell you to ask them why they're being so negative. Talk it out, if you're getting upset about it, put yourself and your happiness first, no matter what.
Anonymous
Maybe finding new friends would help. Often when the people around you become negative toward you it can negatively affect your reactions, thoughts, feelings, and overall outlook on life,
Anonymous
Confront them about it. Sometimes we are too scared of what someone might think or how they will react. But truth is if theyre really your friend they will want you to be happy.
majesticturtle33
You could sit down with your friend on their own and talk to them about how you're feeling. Then you could see how they respond and take it from there.
DeaonVenor
Some people are negative to others because of something happening to them. I had a friend who kept acting somewhat rude to others when he usually went out of his way to be kind, it turned out he lost a cousin in a car wreck. Try to talk it out with him, he may not realize he is being negative and may be working through something himself at the moment.
Anonymous
Having a sit-down talk with the friend to discuss what bothers will help them realize what they might be doing. If the know, then it may be best to find a new friend that makes you feel good about yourself.
Anonymous
You should try and talk to them about your feelings. Maybe they didn't realise that they are so negative and if you tell them they will change. If this doesn't work then maybe you should show them an example of being more positive toward them and see if they change too.
Anonymous
Two things you might be able to try out, one maybe ask him/her the reason of why they're always negative around you and maybe that'll help clearing things up, or sometimes people might be negative due to their nature or maybe they've been through something very rough so it may not exactly be only toward you always. Either ways, communication is probably the best way to find out and reach a mutual understanding maybe, the rest is up to you :)