What does a bully get out of bullying people?

Courtney Cline, MS in Psychology and MS in criminal Justice

I have 12 years exeperience in working with clients suffering from depression and substance abuse. I have worked with children and adults and believe in a holistic view.

Peacefulmeditation
Usually they feel less vulnerable to being hurt when they are hurting others. They use it for distraction to keep them safe from emotional harm.
CallMeRay
Bullies usually like to hold power and control over people because they don't have it in their lives. I know some kids at my school who used to be the biggest sweethearts, but then started to tear others down to build themselves up. I don't think bullying is ever the answer.
Anonymous
Bullies are usually those who have been bullied in the past. Bullying other people makes them feel superior and that they are on top.
Blubb
The bully will hopefully get feelings of guilt. The bully can also get bad reputation, it might be harder to find friends if you are a bully.
helpfulsam99
They get power. They have power over you and that makes them feel stronger and better than you, even though that's rarely the case.
Kindguy89
Bullies tend to be cowards who prey on people they deem weaker than themselves to assert their own strength in certain areas, the truth is that these bullies are almost always insecure about themselves in one way or another.
YoursTrulyBen
They get a momentary sense of great relief from bullying. They're usually really hurt people that are weak inside, they might've been bullied themselves and they find bullying others gives them gratification.. most wont fight back when you do) We should try to stand up to a bully and later help them deal with their issues
wishfulFriend55
Most bullies are unfortunately people who have suffered really tragic experiences and they try to take it out on the people around them