What's the best way to get over someone calling you nasty names?

Alex DS Ellis, MA, LMFT

Feeling depressed or anxious can be so overwhelming. I want to help you feel better and be able to enjoy life. You are not alone and you deserve emotional support.

Anonymous
The best way of getting over someone calling you nasty names is to try and ignore it. You have to keep in mind that you are not what they make you out to be. You are your own person and you deserve to be treated with respect.
Anonymous
Ignore them! They're trying to get inside your head and under your skin. If you show that their words aren't bothering you, that would annoy them worse than anything you could DO.
thequeen98
From personal experience, I would say to realise that the person who is calling you those nasty names may be hurting inside and is taking it out on you so you should just shrug it off and understand that you're better than the things that they are calling you
OctopusGarden
Don't let them get to you. Someone who calls you names may be someone who selfishly expects more out of you than you can provide. Just remember, while you may be worthless in one person's eyes, you're a treasure to many others.
Anonymous
There's many ways to get over name calling. First things first, never lash out, this will only make things worse. You can always just act as if the names don't bother you. You could also make a joke out of it. Or you could talk to someone who could help you through the situation.
SolangeBerenice
To love yourself. To learn how to love yourself and ignore anyone saying nasty things to you. They don't matter, you do.
junesprout
Remind yourself that their anger and hostility towards you has nothing to do with you as a person. In fact, it's all about them. Perhaps they're insecure about themselves, or have an unhappy home life, and are projecting their feelings outward.
Anonymous
To simply ignore them. You know yourself since the day you were born, they have nothing on you, just forget about them and focus on your amazing life!
Anonymous
The best way for me personally is to stay away from them and forgive them for being the way they are. We all face people with negative attitudes in life we just have to be the strong one and move forward.
SHEisthereforyou
You should realize that you're better than that and try to ignore it. I know it's hard but you can!
Norea
It says more about them then about you. Well rounded, stable people don't feel the need to call other people nasty names. My mom used to say this to me all the time when I got bullied again. As a kid, I never understood it but now I do and I know it's true.
hopefulsign18
This is something we've all been through at one point on another and it can leave scars and shake our identity. The best I have gotten over being called nasty names is by changing what was said and believing the opposite, for example if someone called me ugly, I would turn that around and call myself beautiful. I had to consistently choose not to believe them and accept a different truth for myself. This has taken time to build, but it gets easier and has greatly increased my confidence and I'm not as impacted by the nasty names that people try to use to bring me down with.
Bubbyduckie
I know nasty names always suck, but just shrug them off and let them call you the names. So what? You're such a better person for putting up with them.
wonderousBeauty87
The best way to ignore name calling is to ignore it. To think about the positive things going on and trash every negative comment, any destructive comment that may come along the way. The person who goes around name calling are people who probably aren't comfortable with their own lives
LovingAlaias
Don't give them the satisfaction they are looking for. Simply smile & show them your happy and not bothered with their negative comments.
ChronicThugLovin
Remember their words do not define who you are and remember the person who you really are. They only attack you because they are insecure about themselves. They need to put you down in order to feel like they are worth something.
Supergirl94
Ignore them. Remind yourself that you are not whatever names they are calling you, that you are better than those names and better than the individuals who are calling you them. Often when people bully it is a reflection of themselves, not you
SamListensToday
I think the best way is to just ignore it, I know that's such a simple thing to do and it's easier said then done but you shouldn't let a few nasty names ruin your mood. the old saying goes, sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me!
Anonymous
Ignore them and don't spend too much time with them. Avoid them as much as possible and don't listen to them.
blissfullcanary01
Realize that the flaws people tend to see in others usually stem from their own insecurities. Oftentimes, bullies will say mean things to make themselves seem better, or that their own flaws are not as significant. So take it into consideration that calling names might not have much to do with you after all, and see how that can make you stronger. After a while, you might see that they are only calling themselves names subconsciously.
Sushigirl9
I was very upset when a good friend tried to put me down by calling me names and said some nasty things to me. I’m still trying to get over it by focusing on the things I’m good at. That makes me feel better knowing that I have my strengths.
LoveGodFirst
as my pastor said “Those who hate, need love the most. If someone slaps you across the face, turn the other cheek”
15Kenzi
1. You grow up, become mature, and realize you dont care about anyone calling you names. Because, they're just names that have no definition that compares too you. Soo.. who cares.? Why does it matter.? And why are you still worried about it 2. you ignore them (they won’t get any satisfaction without a response) 3. Get 3x5 cards and write nine positive names for yourself and tape them on your clothing. Look at yourself in the mirror. Take a nap. Do the dishes with these new names on you. Do this once a week until you start to believe you are the new names.
empathicDreamer65
Know that ALL behavior is communication. Yes, they are verbally communicating hurtful words, but it is really communicating that they have a void filled with insecurities within them, and that terrifies them. Lashing out at others and hurting them with words, as harmful and mean as they can be to the recipient, ends up being harder on the one who says the hurtful things. Knowing their hateful words are rooted in their own internal pain and have absolutely NOTHING to do with their target may open up the possibility to respond with compassion. Compassion for the misery they must endure that brings them to the point of cruelty in their effort to protect their own vulnerabilities. People make bad decisions when mad, sad, or stressed. Try loving them by seeing their words for what they are. A cry for help they may not even accept they need. Know you are beautiful and wonderful just as you are; their words reflect how they feel inside about themselves, and that is a sad dynamic for all.
happyhues
The best thing is not to retaliate. Let them tire themselves and show them that you are tougher than their words. Everything they say doesn't speak about you anyway, it reflects the kind of person they really are.
outgoingPlum171
People will say rude, mean, nasty things towards you. Everyone gets them. Remember that people can say terrible things. Unbearable things about you. And they will have nothing to do with you. They will have nothing to do with you and everything to do with themselves.
Anonymous
Ignore them. Their words don't have any bearing on what kind of a person you are. Whatever they say, is purely an opinion that you can easily disregard. I understand that it does get hard to ignore after a while, but it all goes back to the age old saying. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.
strawberrypudding22
Show them that it doesn't bother you. They pick on you to see a reaction spark, if they see no reaction, perhaps they'll give up. Just don't believe what they say, don't let it get to you.
Anonymous
Do something like listen to music or go for a walk to forget about your problems or just relax or speak to someone
OaklandHarleyCoffee
The best way to get over someone calling you nasty names is really just to remember a few things. The first is that they most likely do not know you enough to call you that or to even say it meaningfully. The second thing to remember is that the things they are calling you are just words, as words can be said in different ways, but can still mean the same thing. Lastly, even though words are words it does not mean, at all, that feeling sad is wrong or that is is 'weak'. That's why listeners are here.