What's the best way to get over someone calling you nasty names?

Hisham Tawfik, M.S.W.

Counseling and psychological services are my passion more than my work, It is all about love, and love is the only real value.

OctopusGarden
Don't let them get to you. Someone who calls you names may be someone who selfishly expects more out of you than you can provide. Just remember, while you may be worthless in one person's eyes, you're a treasure to many others.
Anonymous
There's many ways to get over name calling. First things first, never lash out, this will only make things worse. You can always just act as if the names don't bother you. You could also make a joke out of it. Or you could talk to someone who could help you through the situation.
SolangeBerenice
To love yourself. To learn how to love yourself and ignore anyone saying nasty things to you. They don't matter, you do.
TranquilityQueen
Remind yourself that their anger and hostility towards you has nothing to do with you as a person. In fact, it's all about them. Perhaps they're insecure about themselves, or have an unhappy home life, and are projecting their feelings outward.
Anonymous
To simply ignore them. You know yourself since the day you were born, they have nothing on you, just forget about them and focus on your amazing life!
SHEisthereforyou
You should realize that you're better than that and try to ignore it. I know it's hard but you can!
hopefulsign18
This is something we've all been through at one point on another and it can leave scars and shake our identity. The best I have gotten over being called nasty names is by changing what was said and believing the opposite, for example if someone called me ugly, I would turn that around and call myself beautiful. I had to consistently choose not to believe them and accept a different truth for myself. This has taken time to build, but it gets easier and has greatly increased my confidence and I'm not as impacted by the nasty names that people try to use to bring me down with.
Spiderman93
November 21st, 2014 10:06am
Dont let nasty names bother you! The person who calls you nasty names, may be having a hard time with something. You know you are better than anything anyone can call you!
Anonymous
The best way of getting over someone calling you nasty names is to try and ignore it. You have to keep in mind that you are not what they make you out to be. You are your own person and you deserve to be treated with respect.
Bubbyduckie
I know nasty names always suck, but just shrug them off and let them call you the names. So what? You're such a better person for putting up with them.
littlestolive
Let it roll right off of you! Names are just words that only have meaning if you let it! Know that you're so much better than that :)
wonderousBeauty87
The best way to ignore name calling is to ignore it. To think about the positive things going on and trash every negative comment, any destructive comment that may come along the way. The person who goes around name calling are people who probably aren't comfortable with their own lives
LovingAlaias
Don't give them the satisfaction they are looking for. Simply smile & show them your happy and not bothered with their negative comments.
ChronicThugLovin
Remember their words do not define who you are and remember the person who you really are. They only attack you because they are insecure about themselves. They need to put you down in order to feel like they are worth something.
Supergirl94
Ignore them. Remind yourself that you are not whatever names they are calling you, that you are better than those names and better than the individuals who are calling you them. Often when people bully it is a reflection of themselves, not you
SamListensToday
I think the best way is to just ignore it, I know that's such a simple thing to do and it's easier said then done but you shouldn't let a few nasty names ruin your mood. the old saying goes, sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me!
Anonymous
Ignore them and don't spend too much time with them. Avoid them as much as possible and don't listen to them.
blissfullcanary01
Realize that the flaws people tend to see in others usually stem from their own insecurities. Oftentimes, bullies will say mean things to make themselves seem better, or that their own flaws are not as significant. So take it into consideration that calling names might not have much to do with you after all, and see how that can make you stronger. After a while, you might see that they are only calling themselves names subconsciously.
LoveGodFirst
as my pastor said “Those who hate, need love the most. If someone slaps you across the face, turn the other cheek”
Norea
It says more about them then about you. Well rounded, stable people don't feel the need to call other people nasty names. My mom used to say this to me all the time when I got bullied again. As a kid, I never understood it but now I do and I know it's true.
15Kenzi
1. You grow up, become mature, and realize you dont care about anyone calling you names. Because, they're just names that have no definition that compares too you. Soo.. who cares.? Why does it matter.? And why are you still worried about it 2. you ignore them (they won’t get any satisfaction without a response) 3. Get 3x5 cards and write nine positive names for yourself and tape them on your clothing. Look at yourself in the mirror. Take a nap. Do the dishes with these new names on you. Do this once a week until you start to believe you are the new names.
happyhues
The best thing is not to retaliate. Let them tire themselves and show them that you are tougher than their words. Everything they say doesn't speak about you anyway, it reflects the kind of person they really are.
Anonymous
Ignore them. Their words don't have any bearing on what kind of a person you are. Whatever they say, is purely an opinion that you can easily disregard. I understand that it does get hard to ignore after a while, but it all goes back to the age old saying. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.
kingofeverything
Show them that it doesn't bother you. They pick on you to see a reaction spark, if they see no reaction, perhaps they'll give up. Just don't believe what they say, don't let it get to you.
Anonymous
Do something like listen to music or go for a walk to forget about your problems or just relax or speak to someone
OaklandHarleyCoffee
The best way to get over someone calling you nasty names is really just to remember a few things. The first is that they most likely do not know you enough to call you that or to even say it meaningfully. The second thing to remember is that the things they are calling you are just words, as words can be said in different ways, but can still mean the same thing. Lastly, even though words are words it does not mean, at all, that feeling sad is wrong or that is is 'weak'. That's why listeners are here.
Anonymous
To just ignore it. It sounds cheesey and your parents probably tell you the same thing but ignoring the bully will make them mad and give you a sense of control. If the bully is being physical then it's time to maybe talk to an adult or teacher about it.
politeBike14
Try to make them undersstand that it is not nice to be called with nasty names. Try to make them walk in your shoes. If it is not possible to communicate with them at all, just ignore them and don't forget that you are who or what you believe that you are. You are not what the other people call you.
Dorkprincess143
The best wat to get over people calling you nasty names it realize they are probably going through things themselves and just taking it out on you.
HungryAlpaca
The first thing I usually do is put space between myself and the person. Reminding myself that I don't need the person or their opinion in my life helps me feel a little less hurt by their words. I then usually try to validate myself by doing something that makes me feel proud or spending time with people that make me feel better about myself.