What's the best way to get over someone calling you nasty names?

Alex DS Ellis, MA, LMFT

Feeling depressed or anxious can be so overwhelming. I want to help you feel better and be able to enjoy life. You are not alone and you deserve emotional support.

Anonymous
To just ignore it. It sounds cheesey and your parents probably tell you the same thing but ignoring the bully will make them mad and give you a sense of control. If the bully is being physical then it's time to maybe talk to an adult or teacher about it.
politeBike14
Try to make them undersstand that it is not nice to be called with nasty names. Try to make them walk in your shoes. If it is not possible to communicate with them at all, just ignore them and don't forget that you are who or what you believe that you are. You are not what the other people call you.
Dorkprincess143
The best wat to get over people calling you nasty names it realize they are probably going through things themselves and just taking it out on you.
HungryAlpaca
The first thing I usually do is put space between myself and the person. Reminding myself that I don't need the person or their opinion in my life helps me feel a little less hurt by their words. I then usually try to validate myself by doing something that makes me feel proud or spending time with people that make me feel better about myself.
eliaphant
Honestly, talk back! Stand up for yourself and don't shrink down or try to change because of what they said. Stand up for yourself!
hollyliz35
Nasty names are tough, I would probably push it out of my head and then do some things to make myself feel better.
TheCup5893
Do not trust anyone elses judgement except for your own and your own peoples'. Please. You know you are a good person. What they've said reflects their unkindness, not your character. :)
isaetoilerina
I laugh, and say, "I know myself." The sting will fade, the words are nothing compared to the strength that lies within you because you are amazing.
MxSkeleton
No one enjoys being called nasty names, however whenever you experience bullying, or cyberbulling, or other similar scenarios, you will be called names and they can make you insecure. Situations like this can't be avoided, but understanding the drive behind their intentions to hurt you, and understanding that they are going to try and hurt you with words is how to negate and lessen the blow. You can't always guarantee what they say *won't* hurt, but you can understand why they are doing this (to be a bully, and to bring you down) and to understand that they want to pull you to their level of insecure or lower, because they, for whatever reason, feel like it's okay to do so. Just know that you are not the names they call you, and that you are the person to define who your character is. You may not be able to shake off what they said, but you CAN take a deep breath and cope with it to get over it, and work towards not listening to what they have to say. Just remember The bully's intention is to bring you down. Not be honest with you. You got this, and remember that you are the expert on you, and your situation. If you are experiencing any form of bullying, please reach out to someone, as you do not deserved to be harassed
KurtCups711
They are trying to tear you down to make themselves feel better. It's a sign of their own insecurity. Strong people don't have to step on others to have self confidence.
specialRiver83
Take it with a grain of salt because I person who would go to that extent to destroy another is a person with a lot of anger or insecurities of their own. If you can proudly admit to your faults and know you are not perfect then who cares what someone els thinks. Thou shall not judge
Anonymous
Take a deep breath and explain to yourself why you don't fall under the category of that nasty name. Likely, if someone calls you a nasty name, they're the ones who fall under that category. Just take a deep breath and ignoring them works too! Sometimes it's just best not to give into their nonsense. If their name calling continues, maybe try to avoid them all together. Just remember to not go down to their level! The harassment will continue if you give into them! If the name calling ever gets to you, maybe put the negative mood into something productive? Writing and drawing are two of many ways!
CherryBlossom360
I would just block them out and do my best to Ignore them if I was in your situation. The more you react.... the worse it'll get---If you react then you are only going to make them want to continue doing what they are doing and acting in the way that they are acting towards you. If you are want then you could always try talking to them (in a calm manner) and telling them that their behavior is not ok and that you don't appreciate it. If it continues and if they continue to call you nasty names then you can either ignore it or get someone else involved.
Anonymous
just think positive its the only way to go. then you just find nice things to say to yourself like: i am a good person i can do anything i want to and i can be anything i want to be.
OceanWaves23
The best way to get over someone calling you a nasty name is to think of their motives, i would bet they are doing it to detract attention away from their own insecurities or to try try to make other people around them laugh, again if they need to do this then they are not confident in their own personality. You ARE better than them already, be strong, ignore them and rise above their level.
clh2os
Often nasty names hurt because we try to associate some truth to it. We question whether or not we deserve those harmful words--and if we have self doubt, those words can damage our hearts. Write down the word. Figure out why it makes you feel so awful. Remove the emotional charge from the word...Then, discover where the venom from the individual is coming from. Hurt people hurt people. Find comfort and validation from your own heart and remove the sting of someone's sharp tongue by ignoring them--or take it a step further, and see if maybe they have some issues that they are unable to resolve.
Shikamaru42
December 23rd, 2015 12:29pm
That depends on you and your situation. I think there's two general ways to do it. Firstly, you can try to simply ignore that person through calmness and ease of mind. Secondly, you can listen to the insults and use them to feed your motivation, basically turning the negative stuff being thrown at you into positive energy. Both ways require lots of practice but they are likely to pay off in the end.
Rayofhope10
Just ignore them.Stop takng personal.They are wasting their own time so you dont waste your time :)
SilveryBlueSkies
It can take you a while to understand that someone who has to resort to calling you nasty names doesn't have enough creativity to come up with something better to do with their time. they are also closed minded. these types of people often end up sitting at home on unemployment in the future wishing they had 5 more $ for a bag of chips to go with their small fuzzy television set playing some old timey movie. People who have sucessful futures are those who have creativity to be innovative and are open minded.
Cosmiclover01
Just don't take it personal and try to brush it off. In reality, who cares what they're saying. Most of the time, those individuals just have their own hangups, therefore, they choose to pick on someone else to make themselves feel better. Do your best to ignore it and don't give them the satisfaction of gaining a reaction from you.
Anonymous
Ignore them! if someone doesn't like you, thats not your problem, its theirs! People only call you names to make themselves feel superior
Chinchillin
If it were as easy as just saying the right thing, or doing one thing, we all would have learned it a long time ago. Instead, what you really need to focus on are the principles that cause someone to do that. Basically, people behave that way because they know that it bothers the other person - in that sense, they get a feeling of power and superiority by getting a rise out of you.So the way to get them to stop is to show that it doesn't bother you, to demonstrate that their opinion of you does not matter, that you are above their taunts, or their insults. Begin by asking yourself why their words bother you, and then analyze it, consider it, and figure out the truth of the matter, your own truth, how you see it. And then, when they call you those names, you'll no longer be bothered because you'll understand their motivations, and you'll know your own truth. And with that, those words will stop bothering you, and they will no longer have any reason to call you names.
AD20
You can confront them about it, or you an surround yourself with people who appreciate you and love you.
warmRainbows36
January 1st, 2016 2:15pm
Ignore them. I always tell myself shift+delete(i.e permanently delete) memories which don't add value to me.
IBelieveInYouHannahh
January 3rd, 2016 8:11am
The best way I think, from experience, is knowing that what they are saying is abosolutly not true. Most people try to put others down because they're jealous. Don't let anyone tear you down. Your amazing just the way you are.💕
Anonymous
NEVER retaliate, ignore. ignore and walk away and pretend they do not exist, that's how i personally did it.
IAmGladUCame
Not paying attention. Saying that there's no need for all of that, and that conversation is not healthy at all.
Anonymous
Just think to yourself your better than getting emotional over stupid evil people and your better than them!always remember your not the only one going through this,we can all help you and alot of people care about you x
wonderfulWaterfall86
Ignore them. It doesn't matter what people call you. You know who you are. You know what you have done. You are the expert on you. No one else.
Anonymous
Ignore it .They will stop it because they will become tired while you becomes stronger.Be ready to see them becoming weak after seeing that you are not affected.