What's the difference between bullying and teasing?

Israel

Tali Weiser, M.A DRAMA THERAPY

Therapist

I am a social worker and drama therapist emphasizing deep relationship and a dynamic approach.I believe that therapeutic relationship is a ground for new positive reflections

DragonView2
Bullying is systematic: they target the same person, or same group, or same kind of people, over and over again, over a period of time. For example, it is not the same if I call you poopy pants one day because you pooped your pants (teasing), than if I brand you poopy pants for the rest of the school year or the rest of your school life because of that event (bullying). Bullying also includes spreading and maintaining bad rumours about a person or leaving the person out of the social life of the environment on purpose and trying to prevent others from accepting the person, just for sake of power, not because the victim was bad or a threat. The bully will often justify the behavior. Bullies tend to be cowards, since the bully has more power than the victim or makes it seem that way, or tries to make it that way. Teasers may feel empathy for their victims if the victim shows itself as hurt and may stop, but bullies do not.
WarmHeart22
Teasing can be playful and may not be repetitive. On the other hand, bullying is repetitive and intends to cause harm. There has to also be the consideration of that bullying is NOT always teasing. Vice versa, teasing may or may not be bullying, as it depends on the ondoer's intentions. I think teasing comes a lot in the boy's locker rooms, and the early stages of schooling such as secondary and elementary school. But, then again, both can appear anywhere. Bullying also indicates other non-teasing behaviors such as exclusion, shoving, exposure of inappropriate pictures of the person, and beating someone up. I know because I am a victim of child abuse and I was bullied and teased by my aunt after my dad's death.
kindTurtle1217
Bullying can be an ongoing and repetitive action, and it can be verbal, physical or emotional. Bullying is targeted, and the person who is bullying might be doing it because they have problems at home, or they aren’t in the best mindset, and they feel the need to let it out on someone weaker than them. Whereas someone who is teasing might be doing it for fun, or might think it is funny or “a joke”. Teasing can be a part of bullying, but they are two completely different things. Teasing between friends is like making jokes, or playing around.
HotChocolate2
Teasing should never be hurtful. Friends who are close with each other can tease one another, as long as they stay within boundaries and don’t play on people’s insecurities. It’s best to reserve teasing for people you’re really close with, in my opinion. This may sound a bit extreme, but people you don’t know all that well will feel uncomfortable telling you when your words are hurtful instead of funny. That means you might become a bully without knowing it. When it comes to bullying, you never know how much your ‘joke’ will actually affect the other person. So always be mindful of what you’re saying, and don’t hesitate to let other people know when they go too far!
TakeMyHand13
It's really more of a perspective kind of thing, I guess. Everyone thinks and feels differently about these things. For me personally, I consider teasing to be amongst friends or loved ones. A playfulness that has no true intention of being harmful or hurtful. However, bullying, in my view, includes purposefully being spiteful towards another person, with the intention of wanting to hurt, humiliate or belittle. If someone says something or does something to you that hurts your feelings, then maybe communicating that to the other person would help clear the air and get reassurance from them. If said person denies or rejects your hurt feelings then that, to me, is bullying. There's no respect there or compassion.
Anonymous
This can be a fine line in some cases, but intent and respect to stop when asked are two big signs for whether its bullying or not. To me teasing is something that both parties can laugh at, and isn't touching on any deep issues or insecurities. It's something that happens between friends casually, and if the friend accidentally is too harsh, they will stop and apologize immediately. Bullying is a joke that only the bullies laugh at, and is repeatingly targeting insecurities or differences about the other person. A bully won't stop when they realize they are hurting someones feelings.
nataliejuliet
Teasing is usually light hearted and typically has no malicious intent behind it, where as bullying is intentional, repetitive, and malicious. However, repetitive teasing can easily turn into bullying. It really depends on the situation. An example of teasing might be a friend saying “Your hair kind of reminds me of a pineapple today” with a little laugh. It’s meant to be a one time joke. An example of bullying would be someone (a “friend” or not) coming up to you in the hallway every single day and saying “You should burn that ugly outfit” or “I would hate myself if I had your hair” because that is repetitive and obviously said intentionally.
optimisticCaramel72
Bullying is considered to be Several Times On Purpose. (STOP) it is a deliberate act. Teasing is to make fun of someone in either playful or malicious ways. sometimes it is done or considered a friend to friend activity of jokes are the main aspect to the teasing. Bullying maybe verbal as well as physical. It is used to intimidate other people often everyday through physical or verbal communication. Bullies will not stop when asked to however, teasing when asked the person should stop. Bullies tend to continue. Bullying is meant to hurt either physically or mentally. SEVERAL TIMES ON PURPOSE
MissLisa
August 22nd, 2019 2:27pm
Bullying is intentional words, actions or behaviour which is intended to cause harm. Teasing is when everyone feels comfortable and understand it to be a joke and understands that no harm is caused or intended. However there is a very fine line and this differs from one person to another. What one person sees as a joke might harm another and that would constitute as bullying. If in doubt dont say or do it. Also be mindful that if you are experiencing what you define as bullying, speak out as nothing gets resolved by wishing it away, there are always people out there that want to listen or help.
yancore
it's actually quite easy to tell. teasing is when people usually say a comment about anything once or twice; it doesn't progress after that. when on the other hand, bullying is a behavior that persists almost everyday. of course, both may make you feel bad, but bullying is usually caused by someone who has struggles themselves. if you are being bullied, it's strongly recommended by all parties to seek a trusted adult to combat the situation. another possible way is to befriend the bully; they could be just as scared as you are. i hoped this paragraph was able to help you out! -Yan
Anonymous
Teasing is typically something without any malicious intent. They are often forms of jokes that a friend or family member will play on you. Bullying however, always holds malicious intent. It not only serves to harm the person, emotionally or physically, but damages them in some way. Examples of teasing include: "Aw you're yellow hat makes you look like a cute little duck!" Examples of bullying can include: "Your yellow hat makes you look stupid." Intent is key to deciding whether it is malicious or not, teasing or bullying. In my opinion, bullying is never okay, while teasing can be harmless.