Why is is that doctors always seem to be too preoccupied to help me overcome, diagnose and treat my chronic pain. Has anyone else had bad expereinces with doctors regarding their chronic pain?

Hannah Caradonna, MSW, RCSW (RCC #11330)

Social Worker

I offer a warm and non-judgmental space for you to work through your problems. I can help you with anxiety, disordered eating, depression, relationship problems and more.

romanticthi3f
Ah! I feel for you and this is rough. One of the reasons this happens is because your pain is completely invisible so they have no idea what it's like for you or how much or little it affects you day-to-day. Everyone experiences pain so differently, so even though two people might have the same condition they may have a completely different quality of life. This is also why it's so important to find a Doctor that is interested in pain management;- Doctors that are interested in it are more likely to learn about it and have your best interests at heart. Ideally you want a Doctor who can see you holistically; so you are not just your pain! Hope this helps :)
enthusiasticPond5679
I can relate. It seems like if you aren’t crying or they don’t see a broken bone, they don’t get it
Anonymous
Unfortunately so many medical professionals dismiss pain and don't take it seriously. What you feel is important and deserves to be addressed by your doctors. Have you thought about seeing a pain specialist? In my experience they are the most knowledgeable and helpful for treating chronic pain. They will never dismiss your experiences, but rather work to help you find solutions to manage your pain and continue your life.
globalRiver49
I have had really bad experiences with doctors and chronic pain. It took years to diagnose me with lupus. Before then I was called everything from a liar to lazy. I saw dozens of doctors before I found the right one and he is absolutely amazing. It is hard and demoralizing but try to persevere and you will find the right doctor who will help you.
DrumDude
My experience in my own life as well as in a chronic pain support group is that most chronic pain sufferers feel let down or abandoned by the medical system.
Related Questions: Why is is that doctors always seem to be too preoccupied to help me overcome, diagnose and treat my chronic pain. Has anyone else had bad expereinces with doctors regarding their chronic pain?