At what point should I seek help for how I feel?

Parvathy Venugopal, MSc in Clinical psychology

Life is chaotic and you need to rest if you're tired. I am here to help you relax until you are ready to start over again.Your mental health is priority, so is your happiness.

Zora17
As early as possible is best to avoid the problem getting worse. This does not include just professional help, but can also be help and support from family, friends, trusted people, and even help from places like 7 Cups of Tea and phone helplines. Help is especially needed when the problem starts interfering with functioning and quality of life.
WhatACatchKelsey
If you feel you need to hurt yourself or others to feel better, it is important to seek professional help. Also, if your feelings are inhibiting your daily functions.
ThePoet
In my opinion, whenever you start to feel negative. Talking about it can help a lot. And seeking help for larger things (depending on how severe) can save your life.
Lennya
Informal help - like reaching out to friends, reading a good self help book and coming here to 7 cups are great things to do as soon as you are feeling mentally and or emotionally unwell. As for professional help - I would say again, the sooner the better, there is nothing wrong or bad about seeking help as soon as you start to feel the need.
JocePunk123
At the point were you think you need it or when you just want take your own life then you really should get help because there is a point for your life even if you dont see it.
helps101
at any point i think getting help earlier would help with what ever the problem is and befor it gets worse
happysloth
When you fear you might become a danger to yourself or others, it's good to seek a professional's opinion. I always err on the side of caution -- if I'm worried about something, it helps to chat with my counselor about it just in case.
Foreverdreaming93
I believe you should seek help when your thoughts start to become dark and harmful to yourself and if daily activities like eating and sleeping are things you go without on a regular basis.
Anonymous
As soon as possible. The longer you leave it the harder and worse it gets. Remember what ever it is can be preventable
PrivatePillow
When you see that your situation is getting out of your hands and you start to feel like you can't handle it anymore. Even if you just have doubts, it's always better to seek help. Take care xx
Anonymous
When you feel like you cannot handle your emotions on your own, or if you're starting to have self-destructive thoughts.
Waterbear
If you have someone you can trust to talk to about it, right away. If you have plenty of money and good health insurance, get some therapy as soon as you're having any problems. Otherwise, you may have to do a cost-benefit analysis. Generally a good time to seek help (if you don't have to move mountains and put yourself in massive debt to get it) is when the problem is nagging at you often enough that it's starting to distract you from other things, or if you sense it's heading in that direction. In a nutshell: do it as early as possible unless it will be a huge hardship. If it is a huge hardship, start making plans to do it before it gets really bad, and try to find and use everything free that you can.
Jessiexyloto
I believe the point at which you should seek help for the way you feel is if it is having a negative impact upon your life, your career, your relationships, any aspect of your life really.
MoodyBloom
There is no point. Emotional pain isn't like a flower that get's to a certain point before you pluck it. Going for help is strictly up to you. What it comes down to is if you feel ready. I know it sounds silly, but if you feel ready for help, go for it. There is nothing wrong with waiting, just don't forget that there are people out there who care and make you their priority. Seek help whenever you want.
Anonymous
When your feelings become too difficult to control. When you start to wonder if you should end your life.
MissCarla
It is important to seek help when you are ready to. If someone makes you get help it is likely you won't continue as your heart isn't in it. When you recognise you have a problem and you decide to seek help is the first step to being free.
Anonymous
First and foremost you should seek help when you are ready to get help, this is a first and very crucial step. There are many points at which you should consider seeing a mental health professional, when your problems start to interfere with your daily life is a big sign. Another is if you start to think about harming yourself or others. A sign that you may want to see a mental health professional is when you start to question if you should. Overall there are many points when you may want to consider seeing a mental health professional, but mostly when you feel comfortable doing so.
neverletlifetakeyourspark
If you are ever concerned with how you are feeling, talking to a professional is perfectly okay. It's better to be aware of what's going on, even if it's nothing, than be confused.
I would personally seek help anytime I am not feeling myself. For me it would depend on what type of help I seeked depending on how I feel. If I just wanted to talk, I would come to a place like 7 cups of Tea about my feelings. But, If I was feeling really down or hopeless I would seek further assistance and resources.
Anonymous
There is not a right time or wrong time to ask for help, it is whenever you feel most comfortable or when you might be feeling a little too much overwhelmed. The important thing is if you feel safe, comfortable, and okay sharing what you are feeling.
IntuitiveDrops
When you no longer feel you can manage that on your own. If your coping skills exceeded their felt limit.
Anonymous
When you start questioning or wondering if you should ask for help, that is the moment to listen to yourself and follow through
Anonymous
This is always hard to determine. There is no definitive time for everyone but, I think when it gets to the point that it affects your everyday life, ie school work, performance at work, etc, then its probably a good time to reach out for help.
Whisk
At the point where it becomes difficult to live your life unhindered by these problematic feelings, or other people voice concern for your wellbeing.
wonderfulSunrise85
When it becomes overwhelming. When you know that it's affecting the way you are functioning, and you can't seem to stop it or manage it, it's probably time to get help.
LadyUnderGrace
When you can not see past the situation at heart. When everything in life just seems too hard. Getting help is not a negative thing, it is a positive thing, that will point you in the right direction.
Anonymous
When you've breached the point of feeling like you can not handle it anymore. Suicide and Self harm
mayssamk
It's important to seek help at any point if you feel down. Who knows, it could just be a bad day, but it could be something bigger, or worse and it's better to take that in charge sooner, when the symptoms are fresh and new than later when it's just been tormenting you for a while.
Anonymous
As soon as possible. Do not keep it to yourself because it will only hurt you. 7cups is always here to listen.
DragonFlyQueen
The simple answer is; whenever you want. It's nothing to be ashamed of, even for smaller things. But when you start thinking of yourself as unworthy, or if you feel like you don't want to live on, it's important to seek help. But like I said, even for the smaller things it's totally okay to talk to a professional.