Can depression ever be managed with sheer will power alone?

Melissa Hummelt, LMHC

I am passionate about empowering others, creating awareness around difficult situations, and ultimately supporting people in creating meaningful lives and relationships.

JDust
If someone is feeling down, but can simply will themselves to feel better, it is likely that the individual is not suffering from clinical depression, but instead is simply experiencing the ups and downs of life. Theoretically, Yes, it could be, but at the same time, It is almost antithetical to how depression functions. Part of the seriousness of depression is the manner in which it crushes one's will to do things. Sometimes, people can "will" themselves out of depression, but usually this only happens when there is a strong motivation to enable that will. In summary, if someone is genuinely clinically depressed, it is almost impossible to manage it with sheer will power.
ShanzZz
That's an excellent question and the answer is definitely! I overcame anxiety and depression simply with will power. Where there is a will there is a way.
CammJo
Depression is a condition in which many people suffer. According to a study that was published in Psychological Science, people who suffer from depression tend to have a difficult time shaking negative thoughts and feelings than those who are not depressed. The reason for that is because depression can make turning your attention to more positive thoughts feel nearly impossible. Any psychiatrist can prescribe lithium or a different brand of medication to over come depression; however, it is possible to over come depression by your will power. To do that you need self-confidence, punctuality within yourself, patience, and a true desire to become better. If you can push yourself to not procrastinate and do what you have to do, anything is possible. Remember, however, that success is not achieved over night-- it will take time.
aranyajohar
Yes. Being a person who used to self harm, I decided to stop and eventually did with will power solely. I pushed myself to stop cutting and thinking positively, so i'd say yes
Anonymous
yes it can be.. and very easily.. stronger you stand better it will be for you to manage.i have tried it and it works like magic. your will power is like the anchor of your boat in turbulent sea.
helpfuldot
I think that while depression can be hard to deal with just by sheer power alone, but I do think it's possible. I think that support from friends, family or doctors can be a huge help, but some people are unable to talk about it. I think those people can still deal with it through will power although difficult.
Anonymous
Maybe but it would be really hard to do it.Why would someone be alone when she can get support?There are so many ways to get help
Anonymous
If you are religious, of course. Our mind and body heals itself better with the power of faithful religion.
Inbetweenmetaphors
Everyone deals with depression in many different ways. But yes, it can be done with sheer will power alone and a little bit of support from family and friends :)
TheFaultInOurStars
I would not call it will power, since I don't think those with depression who seek professional help have no will power. I think that a person can overcome depression on their own through a lot of self reflection.
Lior
I believe one of the things that can help to the person suffering from depression is the willpower to get better, maybe the greatest, because if you don't want to get better, nothing will get better. And yet, therapy and sometimes medication can benefit the process tremendously because they help to understand your situation, offer coping ways and help with the processes of the body which we can't control through willpower.
spiritualsoldier
No! Will power alone cannot do anything but it should be backed by an inspiration or something positive aim for us to pursue
Anonymous
I think depression can be overcomed with sheer will power alone, but I think it's better to ask for someone else's help! Makes the process quicker !
ClassicZara
Our motivation for getting better, is what drives our recovery, even with medication or with therapy, if an individual refuses to want to change for the better, then it's a tough one there, so yes, depression can be managed with sheer will power alone, but it is very subjective to the persons situation
daraoftheocean
In my experience is managed with a lot of compassion, understanding friends, interesting perspectives and a lot of kindness and patience towards oneself. Of course, diet, mindfulnees, profesional guidance and exercise are also key aspects. Also recognizing you have the power and the keys to manage yourself. But this you will not see it before you see it. And that takes time. So we're coming back to patience and staying with the process. When we are in a depressive state we don't really aknowledge our own pewer and ability to change something. We are yelling at ourselves and critisizing ourselves for being in that state. Loving mirrors and save havens can help us remeber our own beauty and holeness.
Anonymous
I don't think sheer will power can get you through depression if it is clinical depression. Clinical depression is a disease and requires other forms of therapy, medication, etc.
Anonymous
Absolutely! I don't believe there is a hard and fast rule on how to manage depression alone, but I believe that it can be done.
TellMeImListening
I don't depression can be managed. Some episodes can be more chaotic that others, and sometimes we need that chaos in order to feel a little better. Sometimes it's what we need to feel to know we're not going numb.
AstralShadow
February 22nd, 2016 6:04am
Yes. But that won't cut it for most of the people right? How? It's hard! Complicated. I can't stop doing this. It just keeps going back into my mind. This will be slightly long response V Read below for a better explanation of "Yes" Depression. From my standpoint, it's only you. Sure, there may be people involved or factors. But that doesnt mean that should cause you pain. Your will power, your mind is a really powerful thing that you must BELIEVE to trust on. Seems like you lost your hope? Can't believe in it? How? Well, FIND that beautiful part in your life. Happiness, what or where ever that is. If all things aren't looking so well, find things u can control. Such as, grades. Do your best, you may be a wreck, but if your grades soar, you will too! Weird, but anything that makes you happy. However Will power sometimes isn't enough tho. True, you do need your own strength, But dont be afraid to reach out for help. Help is a wonderful thing, that's how Haiti or areas hit with natural disasters manage to rise again as a proud country. From help and support! If you can't find any, you arent looking at the right place or where your searching isnt the perfect place. Its somewhere someone who will care and you will realize who it is. Sincerely, Astralshadow who believe in anyone who is facing depression. You aren't alone. Together, you will rise again. Be happy stay positive! A maze always have a opening and ending.
Anonymous
For some people, they can overcome depression alone, but others can overcome depression with the help of medication.
QuietKoala
It's possible, of course; and it's always good to be able to take care of ourselves. However, there are no rewards for doing things the "hard" way. Sometimes, it helps to ask how much you're missing out on as a person because of your depression, so that you can make an informed decision about whether or not to seek professional help. For instance, your children are only young once. If a therapist or medication can help you manage your depression, enjoy your children, and mentor them better, why not use those things to benefit both yourself and those you love? Think about the advice you'd give your best friend, under the circumstances you're experiencing now. Good luck!
FlowerxChild
For me it is half will power, and half the support of people close to me, mainly my boyfriend though
MimiBliss
If you don't want to step up and try to get better and work on it, then you won't. This isn't tough love, but honesty. Our motivation for getting better, is what drives our recovery, even with medication or with therapy, if an individual refuses to want to change for the better, then it's a tough one there, so yes, depression can be managed with sheer will power alone, but it is very subjective to the persons situation, sometimes intervention would be needed, but if it's minor cases, then a little self-motivation, and maybe assistance from online support groups like 7 cups can help.
Anonymous
To an extent partially, minimally yes. But totally, i don't believe so. No. Depression is not something than can be solved by will alone, just as cancer can't be treated with chocolate.
EmpathSoldier
I honestly think because each experience concerning depression is different and each person is different, will power is a good first step but there are so many factors that affect the coarse of treatment. In almost all cases I would recommend a support system. It makes you brave and string to have the strength to open up and reach out. Not weak. And although the support will never understand the cause of the pain, they really do care and will try as best as they can to comfort you while the pain passes.
ResilientFlower
Several types of therapy can help to teach someone with depression additional coping skills, such as how to handle negative thoughts associated with depression. Some people find therapy is sufficient for managing their depression. Therapy may also help an individual to build healthy habits into their life, such as exercising and eating nourishing food. However, others may find therapy and life style changes are not enough and that they need medication to manage their mood. Depression is not a character flaw and it can be difficult to overcome alone. Don't be afraid to reach out for additional support from professionals, family, and friends.