Can I be depressed and not know it?

Can I be depressed and not know it?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

ItsAcidalia
yes, it is possible! sometimes you're too numb, you don't know what to feel and how to feel!. Hence, you become depressed and you don't even realize it
LexieC
Depression can manifest itself in different ways, depending on the person. People often don't realize that they may be depressed because they don't necessarily expect it. The portrayal of depression in the media often doesn't help as it rarely portrays all the symptoms than can be caused by depression.
Meg96
You can, if you feel like you may be- look for help, you have nothing to lose! Be careful looking on the internet though, it may convince you that you are dying. Professional help is always best!
Anonymous
I feel that it is very possible to be depressed and not be aware of it. Sometimes we are not aware of what is really going on in the subconscious mind. There may even be things that come up from the past that are still affecting us that we think that are over with. So that is why I think that is the case that you can be depressed and not aware of it. Also, most illnesses do come with the person not being aware of it themselves from what I have heard.
Yati2
Yes, its possible. usually people around make us aware about our behavior. If you dont have a social circle then it may be possible you can be depressed and not aware about it.
Anonymous
yes it is possible. Sometime this may be possible that you are feeling lonely and watching movies back to back sitting alone at home, listening music though not interested. Over a period of time this may lead to depression
HopesnFaith
Yes. For me, to feel depressed or not, it just depends on how you handle or see things around you. And most of the time, you may not really be aware of it because the symptoms feel so " normal". Depression happens to every single one of us, there's no way you can avoid it but you can definitely do something to make yourself feel better. Awareness is a key.
jrhtoby
This is an interesting question. I definitely believe depression, in its realest sense, is not something you can simply be unaware of. That being said, it is possible that someone feeling depression may not identify it as depression, so in a sense the answer to your question is yes. Needless to say, someone experiencing very real depression (in my opinion) will definitely notice a weighty feeling and will be all too aware of it, almost to the point of taking pleasure out of everything.
AuntieRuth
Yes, I believe it's possible. I was depressed for most of last year, yet I can't denying it and kept telling myself that I was just lonely. In reality, I was lonely, but that had led to depression.
saraaaah
Yes you can be depressed and not be aware of it. Maybe you still notice the typical symptoms though. If you notice them (having no energy, feeling blue and so on) you should ask for help!
Vini
Yes, you can feel sad for no reason hurt for no reason and wonder why your hurting. You don't know but you already show signs of depression :)
Tattvamasi
Yes. We do not realize that we are depressed even thou we have all the symptoms of depression. We could be dragging thru our life without realizing that we need help.
Olive2222
Yes, it is possible, however, you will most likely notice a change in your overall mood, diet, and/or habits throughout the day. There is a difference between feeling upset or a bit strange for an extended period of time and depression, so if you are suspecting that you may be depressed then you should consider checking to see if you have any of the basic symptoms of depression. If you do not but are feeling increasingly unhappy, worse or suicidal, then you should contact a councilor so that they can refer you to a psychologist or doctor.
UsayHussain1
October 22nd, 2014 9:45am
No, there are some kinda substances that show that you are really depressed. You doesn't need to be afraid of this and talk with me so that i might help you getting out of it
HerforU2580
Depression can happen to everyone us and we may be aware of it can everyone is different as the reason why
ppllover
Yes it is very possible to be depressed and not realize that this is what is causing your problems, try talking with your physician they can help you.
Anonymous
Yes you can. Depression isn't always easy to notice. A lot of the time it's just mistaken for just regular down in the dumps.
Charity0
November 2nd, 2014 3:06am
Absolutely. Those who are depressed and unaware are at risk because they don't believe they need treatment as nothing seems to be wrong. People like this usually feel it is unlikely they are depressed because there is no need to be in their current situation or they feel their problems are puny compared to clinically depressed patients. Depression is insidious and can creep up on anyone in any situation if not diligent in noticing it.
Anonymous
Yes, definitely! Many people are not aware of the symptoms of depression and would not necessarily label themselves as depressed. In my experience, this can be a bad thing, because such people can be reluctant to see help and instead see themselves as the problem - for example, if they have problems with getting out of bed and achieving their goals, they fault themselves with being lazy or stupid.
Anonymous
yes you can, if you don't exactly know what depression is and what the symptoms are, than you can be depressed. the best thing you can do is search online for the symptoms
happyTear
Yes many of us can be depressed and be unaware of that. We just think it as a natural condition which can be faced by many others in their lifetime. Sometimes we doesn't even like to accept the truth that we are in depression. According to me finding out that we are in depression is more important and then working on it should be a challenge!
Anonymous
Yes you can. Depresion is a mental disorder. Just like a mently chalgend person might not know he's challenge he still has it
Pieta
Well, actually I don't think you could be unaware of symptons like not being able to get up in the mornings, feeling exhausted all the time, not participating in hobbies you used to love etc. I do however believe that you could CHOOSE to ignore those symptons and tell yourself that it's not a depression but maybe you are only feeling a little down these days.
hopefulPower94
I think that if you are not aware of what depression looks like, then yes it is possible to be depressed and not know it. Sometimes people can be depressed but since that has been their way of life for so long, that they don't see that there is a problem.
HeyoSarah
It's easy for people to be depressed and be unknowing. That's how most cases work. If you aren't sure, there's a possibility that you are, but it isn't certain until you get a professional opinion.
Anonymous
Yes, many people look for outside opinions on how they are feeling because they want to know how they appear from an outside source. Depression plays with how a person perceives themselves and the world altering reality a bit soo the person who is depressed may not be able to recognize things likes what wrong if the person was feeling healthier.
BubblyDoll
Of course, you can go through depression without knowing about it. If you feel that might be the case please read 7cups.com guide about depression to be analyse it and please seek help from a specialist
cheesecakegurl
Yes. ................................... . . . ................................
Anonymous
Yes, it is possible to be depressed without knowing it. I was depressed for weeks before I even started to wonder if I had Depression.
GermanZebraCupcake
Many people are suffering from depression without a diagnosis. It's much more than just feeling sad so people don't always associate the two. For instance, a common symptom is eating too much/too little or even losing interest in what you used to love.