Can I be depressed and not know it?

Can I be depressed and not know it?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

Kateholt
You usually feel when you're depressed because you realize that you're feeling down and not as well as you should.
Anonymous
Anyone can be depressed for many reasons, and sometimes the source and the behaviors and responses of depression might not seem all together like depression. In reality depression can be as mild as "feeling low" yet still have an effect on day to day life.
heretohelp356
yes, that can happen. you might not know it, but you might find out later. try to catch early on.
tammy0hopeisreal
Hmm, I think you can be depressed and not know it. Sometimes people see depression as like extreme sadness (crying in bed every day, very suicidal, etc.) and they might not describe how they're feeling as depression. Depression can manifest itself in different ways--feeling numb, apathetic, etc. It really depends on the person.
CompassionNeverHurtsButPTSDDoes
I don't have any experience with that. I wouldn't guess so. In my experience, people who are depressed know that they are depressed, and very much feel the effects.
Anonymous
Yes, you can be depressed without a doctor even finding out about it. It is hard but sometimes come out of it
Anonymous
possibly, if you think you may depressed i would say that maybe it would be a good idea to look at some symtoms and maybe go to the doctors and they may be able to diagnose you with it
themightypotatochip
Yes that is actually something that happens often. Depression is usually associated with a permanent sadness but that is actually not true, when you are depressed you often feel things like emptiness, guilt, sadness, self-loathing, isolation, hopelessness, and anxiety. Since the media tends to not educate people correctly about depression it is sadly very common to not know when you have it. I was depressed for two years and had no idea until I was diagnosed because I wasn't feeling what I thought depression was. So yes, it is possible to be depressed and not know it. :)
Anonymous
I think people may be depressed without knowing, but only you know what is going on because you are the expert on you.
Anonymous
Yes. You can definitely be depressed and not know it. In fact, many people go through times where they are depressed and don't know it.
leejanelle
Yes. I was depressed without knowing it. It had took a while for me to accept to realize that I was depressed.
readman
Yes, depression is a mental issue that get overlooked frequently. People think “I’m just feeling sad”, “I just need to choose to be well”.
veronicahaunani
You can be anything and not know it. I was depressed, and I thought I was just lazy and unmotivated. I was so harsh with myself. The harshness was due to the depressive thinking and promoted the thinking by shredding my self esteem. Depression can be a very scary thing to navigate. Finding supportive people you can trust and research about depression could let you figure some things out.
Anonymous
Most times you will know if you are depressed, but sometimes symptoms are masked by other symptoms. Some people have depression that is expressed through anger, frustration, and agitation, as opposed to sadness, guilt, and lethargy. Not all anger, frustration, or agitation is symptomatic of depression, however.
shiningPanda25
A person can always tell whether hes sad or happy. You cannot not know it. You can deny it. By calling yourself presumptuous to even consider such an extreme condition. But when days pass on with the same grey thoughts..well believe it or not, there lies depression.
Ishimaru
Yes of course, but usually your body tells you about something feels not right. When you feel demotivated, tired, bored, frustrated, don't want to leave your apartment, your bed, your safe spots. These can be signs for a depression or burn out.
Floatie
There are a variety of emotions you can feel and be completely unaware. Depression just so happens to be one. This is one of the worst in my experience because it leads to other emotions. If you have problems with this, please talk to a counselor near you, or one on this site.
Anonymous
Yes you can. If you suffer from lethargy or a lack of motivation or find that you are sad a lot of the time these are all pointers towards depression. Also a general sense of hopelessness. But sometimes a person does not recognize all these symptoms in themselves immediately.
Anonymous
Yes, it is possible. You may think you are only sad when you are actually depressed. This happened to me so i know how it can be.
UndulatingKyle
Absolutely. Most likely you will feel that something isn't right, but you might just brush it off. Otherwise you might start to feel overwhelmed, and just push it aside as stress. It always helps to get a fresh perspective on your emotions, so get a friend or a family member or come to 7 cups, and talk it through with someone to figure out if it is just stress, or if you have depression.
TopHattedTeaMan
Yes, I was depressed and didnt know it, I thought it was normal to mask my true emotions as I thought they were too hard to express.
TheBrownieTitan
I believe most people are, indeed. They'll just call it something else. They'll call it 'sad' or being 'down.' Often because they don't know what makes up depression. If you any way wonder if you suffer from depression, you should have it checked by a professional.
Manatea1
Absolutely. Depression doesn't always present itself so that everyone else can see it. Lacking in interest and not understanding why is an example of how we may be depressed without realizing it.
NeverGiveUpNeverSurrender
Depression is quite a broad topic and there are sub-branches of it as well. You might be showing symptoms of a minor branch of depression and might not even know it because the way most people describe depression is too general for your case. The easiest way to be able to find out is to seek professional help. The more difficult way would be to do the research yourself :) However, through this method, you'd not only gain the knowledge of what depression really is, but maybe you can find and eventually help others too based on your experiences :)
clh2os
Depression can seek up on us without warning. The humdrum of work, the stressors of school, the pressures of social obligations--there can be many factors that exhaust us emotionally without realizing it. Ask your self if you feel little interest in what use to make you happy and if you are having difficulty focusing and feeling happy. If that's the case, talk to friends and family--or seek medical assistance or counseling. And of course, if you feel like hurting yourself or others, please call 911 and seek help immediately
KRN
Yes, depression comes in many ways and sometimes it occurs ib the most mysterious ways. We just need to be aware of that.
Anonymous
Yes, you can very well be depressed and not yet realize it. That's what I had in the beginning. It's important to start noticing signs, so you can try and change your mood. However, that can be difficult.
Andrewcash
yes you can be depressed and not know it although when you are depressed you should notice a slight change in your mood
sereneSun58
Ofcourse you can be depressed without knowing it, because how do you know how being depressed feels like?
Anonymous
Absolutely. Ironically, it's often difficult to tap into our inner selves and sense what's going on for us. This can be especially true during hurried or stressful times. It takes dedication and concentration to be able to fully experience and assess our emotions, particularly difficult ones such as depression.