Even though I know there are other depressed people in my life, why do they look so happy on the outside? How come I can't look that way?

Lisa Meighan, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Anonymous
Everyome has a different way of processing things. You may simply be an open and expressive person who finds it difficult to hide their feelings.
Anonymous
Even though you know that there are other depressed people in your life, they may look happy on the outside for many reasons. The first is that they want to keep other people around them happy, and they don't want to make them sad or depressed. Another reason may be that they have found a good way to cope with their internal issues. A lot of people have things that they like to do to pass time, and I have found that it really helps take stress off, and really calms you down. My last reason is because of people's thoughts on the future. If they realize that they have things to look forwards to, it really helps them. If you're worried about your test grades, your physical ailments, or whatever else, you should just realize that there is more in life than what you are seeing at the moment, and whatever is happening to you in the moment isn't worth doing anything bad to yourself, something that no one should have to consider in the first place.
Anonymous
Some people are better than others with masking what’s truly going on on the inside. It is like developing a coping skill in order to go on about one’s life. Not all coping skills work for everyone.Imagine if everyone was good at the same things there would be no variety. Looking happy on the outside could be this person’s way of making their way through life. You may not be able to look that way because you have different coping skills then this person. What are your coping skill? Pretending to be happy on the outside might also lead to an elevated mood on the outside if done often and for extended periods of time. Kind of like the phrase fake it until you make it.