How can I get help without making people think I am just an attention-seeker?

Amy Justice, BS, MA, LPC

My passion is to help people overcome feeling "stuck" in unhealthy patterns by facilitating real, healthy changes through self-discovery and practical applications.

Faith16
if you really need help than go get help don't think about other people's opinions. what matters is your health.
Yourfairygodbro
You could tell people privately that you think you need help. They would feel more inclined to listen if it were one on one.
SassyKat0307
Find the right people and they won't think you're an attention seeker. If anyone thinks you're an attention seeker I suggest not going to them with your problems.
Anonymous
Just ask for help. This could be one on one with a friend or family member. If you tell them you need help, or that you're worried you're coming across as attention seeking then they will understand your situation, and can offer assistance back
Listeningwolf1123
February 1st, 2015 1:51pm
Let me start off by saying, don't worry if people think you are an attention seeker. Unfortunately there will always be those people who think anytime someone needs a little extra help, they just want attention. However, if you don't want to bring attention to your needing help, be very casual about it. Don't make it seem like a big deal. Also, maybe seek help away from those people closest to you in your life. Depending on the help, using a site like this, or getting in contact with a therapist or a psychiatrist on your own could be the way to go.
Anonymous
have you talked with a adult or a friend about going out and having fun more often. sometimes all you need is to have a nice day out sometimes
Anonymous
I found it easier to go and seek help professionally, I kept telling myself that they would have dealt with what I was going through and would be best placed to know what was best. I also did a lot of reading online about depression and mental health issues so I knew more about what I was going through.
bambi74
they dont need to know what you are going through and if they try to put you down for asking for hep then they obviously need to leave
Anonymous
You can talk to people about it who you know that will support you and understand you. So be careful whom you are telling your problems to.
Maxwallride
People are going to criticize you no matter what you do, so you really just have to keep at it and keep reaching out and keep finding new opportunities for support and assistance and keep pushing through the doubt that creeps in every time you get negativity from other people :). It's that type of resilience that is common between people who make remarkable recoveries from all sorts of difficult situations. You can't stop just because someone thinks you're an attention seeker. And it's pointless to try and walk on eggshells around everyone you come across so that everyone thinks positively of you because it's an unrealistic expectation. Not everyone is going to think you're an attention seeker for getting help with whatever you get help with. Generally, it's only a select few self-identified whackos. And hey, when they make their appearance, at least you know who is with you and who isn't :) Good luck getting help with whatever it is :D. And remember, people are going to criticize you no matter what you do, so do whatever the heck you want ;)
Anonymous
before I answer I want you to know, and I can I understand that it can be hard but you are not an attention seeker. Honestly I felt the same way you did and there are many options like; speaking to a trusted friend, talking to your family, counsellors, even coming here on 7 cups and just talking it out in general. People on 7 cups and professionals are not here to judge you or undermine you.
Margo1212
Do not be concerned about what others think when you reach out for help. You need to take care of yourself above all. What's important is that you know you are doing the right thing. Reaching out to others shows strength, and if someone can't see that, they aren't worth your time. It seems like so many years ago, when people were shamed for going to therapists, or psychiatrists, or taking medication. And there are still some people out there who think that opening up about your mental health problems is a way to seek attention. But luckily times have changed. The overwhelming majority of people now realize that getting help for any psychological issue is the smart thing to do, the best thing to do, and there are now so many places to get help with mental health issues, often anonymously, so it would be a shame to not reach out for any reason.