How can I help people with cancer?

Danielle Johnson, MSED, Community mental Health Counseling, LMHC

Sometime situations and feelings can be so strong that we struggle to function. You are not alone! My practice is flexible and open-minded and tailored to your personal needs.

PopstarKittyCat
My father was afflicted by an extremely rare cancer in which he needed to have a bone marrow transplant. The only things you can do for them is comfort them, help any way you can, and try to help them see the positives in life. Never abandon them, even if the situation is difficult for you, it's much harder for them, and they need someone by their side believing in them. Attitude is half the battle.
Zhixy3
giving them the absolute support that they need. My best friend aged 19, just recently passed away from cancer, and not going to lie, he was embarrassed with the way he looks, he wouldnt want his friends to visit him etc, including me, which did saddens a lot of us. So what i would do to help, is to personally go out of ur way, to show them ur support. do what you can do, to fulfill their wishes, before its too late. Now dont get me wrong, i hope everyone else's cancer goes into remission. But if they're terminal, appreciate them, before its too late.
crispKiwi94
Sometimes a person just needs a friend, who might not understand what they are going through but is there for them and is a good listener. My friend battled with cancer for a while and she told me she always looks forward to me bringing her a bacon maple donut and for us to talk about her current situation.
KiForEverybody
Cancer is a way that our body find to talk to us. It can be very hard to accept his enraged voice and when we listen to it everything will be easier.
Bella20
I help people with cancer by making them hats and scarves and blankets then delivering them to the cancer patients in person and just talking to them about normal stuff and watching movies with them. Whether you think so or not, it helps them deal with the prospect that they have cancer much easier because they have a friend to talk to. You can volunteer at a hospital that has cancer patients to just talk to them or you can make them things or draw things for them and deliver them.
Anonymous
A good first step is to learn more about the diagnosis beforehand. Your friend may not want to talk about the details for many reasons, including that it is physically and emotionally tiring to repeat the same information to different people. If possible, the person’s spouse or a mutual friend may be able to give you the basics
OverPouringCup
Unless you are an oncologist or some super genius who can may be find a cure for cancer by doing research with stem cells or some thing; there is only one way to help be kind and gental to them and help & support them in the hardest time of their life by being an emotional enchor
helpfulPeace78
I think after the new research that has been discovered about cancer, a huge part of the process and recovery of cancer is maintaining a positive attitude. If you want to help people with cancer, being a positive influence in their life could go a very long way!
PRUNE4BEE
RESEARCH. Ignorance when it comes to people's diseasees is horrendous. Support. care .. Share the love... Do not over protect them.. Be kind and patient
heavenlyEagle22
helping someone with cancer is a big responsibility but its also a great thing, though 7 cups of tea doesnt recommend helping their members by giving them advice but rather just listening. Its always good to motivate a cancer patient by showing them how they can get through this and reassuring them that there not alone in this fight but we are here to help them, we are here to walk with them on this journey.
Anonymous
Visiting your local hospital and comforting the cancer patients would be a great start. I don't think you can really find a way to cure cancer unless you're involved with one of those huge study groups, but start out with visiting them!
Anonymous
I have a papa dying of cancer right now, I try to help them live the best of what they can. I try to talk to him much as possible, tell him I love him and support him in the best ways I can.
Paradox88
I can't help people with cancer,I'm not a doctor,but I can get you through it,impossible is just a big word thrown around by small people,if you have cancer the only thing I can tell you is fight through it,fight as hard as you can because life will throw everything it gots toward you.
Anonymous
August 23rd, 2015 3:18am
I've been struggling with this question myself, since my coworker was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. Everyone reacts and copes with illness differently, so I've been trying to take my cues from him. If/when he wants to talk about it, I listen in support. If he wants to get distracted and forget temporarily about his cancer, I go along with that too. I've made sure to tell him more than once that I am here for him if he needs anything, to just ask. Once or twice I've pushed him a little bit to accept help from me (like giving him a ride) that he would normally decline. Ultimately, I think it's more about the emotions - fear, anxiety, anger, etc. - than the cause (cancer). So I focus on helping him through the emotions, same as I would for any other person I care about.
Anonymous
There are plenty of ways to help cancer patients. Aside from becoming a healthcare professional yourself, there are numerous volunteer organizations that people can participate in fundraising and advocacy. Perform a quick Google-search, and find something that you find both interesting and rewarding!
LauraMSW87
Hospitals, hospices, nursing homes, and the like are always looking for volunteers for various types of activities. This might be a great way to help if you don't have any direct training in the medical field. Fund raising for established and well-known charities is another way to help as these charities do great work to help support cancer research.
UniverseChild
The best way to help someone with cancer is to give them emotional support. They often are overwhelmed with a variety of negative emotions whether its fear or depression etc. Simply showing them you care and are there for them makes a difference.
Legionnaire1
Offering someone an ear to talk to can really go a long way. There are many different support groups and organizations available to do this, as well as just interacting with people in your personal life who may be fighting cancer. As a personal example when my I found out my Aunt had stage 4 Breast Cancer, another one of my close friends nephew was also diagnosed with Leukemia. In support and solidarity for them both I shaved my head. Additionally here is a link to some resources about cancer support,http://www.cancer.org/treatment/supportprogramsservices/index
Anonymous
You could try volunteering in a hospital, and request to be assigned to a cancer ward. Most hospitals have plenty of volunteer opportunities for people who're interested, though you might not be guaranteed a chance to work with cancer patients. You could also raise money to donate to one of the many cancer related charities.
PeaceForYou
Be there for them. Comfort them and be there to listen to them. Look after yourself too whilst going through something traumatic such as this.
Anonymous
SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT. You may not be able to cure their cancer, but you can most definitely support and care for them by just understanding what they are going through. Put yourself in their shoes and see things from their perspective! They'll need to know that you're there for them no matter what happens.
Griimes
I think that it is important for people who are probably facing death, that you surround them with positive things and love as much as possible. It's important to distract them from whats going on, but also to be there when they are in a bad mood to talk about the serious things.
plushTouch35
You can listen to them, you can bring them to their doctor's appointments if you are comfortable doing that, you can bring them foods they can eat and you can provide respite for their primary caregivers.
You can try looking around at places like hospitals, treatment centers, nursing homes, nursing centers, community senior centers, and such. Look around your local community and ask to see if they accept any volunteers or ask what you can do to help those who have the condition. Good Luck!
bigPanda91
By encourage them that they are not TOTAL hopeless. There are people who survived cancer, and I think we are all don't know when we're going to die. So, people with cancer and no cancer both have the same hope to live.
Miracle
Often hospices (not just for people with cancer though) will have voluntary opportunities. If you mean family/friends, you can listen to them, validate their emotions and fears, help on a practical level eg. Offer to childmind so they can spend time relaxing and getting better. Offer to cook meals or clean the house and above all do not let your fears and uncertainty cloud the friendship, they are not their illness.
Anonymous
Love ,care and affection will be more useful than spending huge amounts of money to help in the treatments. that is also necessary but if you really want to help, you should be able to give him hope, build up hope and confidence in him/her to live.
beowuf14
Be by their side as much as possible. If it is a cancer that is too far along and not operable, ask them, kindly after they have embraced the happening, if there is anything they would like to do that would help them be more comfortable and happy. Try to get ther friends and family as close as possible to them. Surround them with things they enjoy. Be nice, be kind, and be by their side every step of the way. Show them love.
CaffeinatedWhiteMage
Give them a hand with practical things! Make sure they're eating by making them delicious meals, help them tidy up their home, give them a hand with shopping and other daily tasks.
Anonymous
I'll try to teach this people again life is beautiful and worth to live.There are still lot's of amazing things to do.We just can't give up