How can I make my friends and family understand that my depression is a serious issue, not just me being dramatic?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

Anonymous
State how it has affected you, how you've been struggling to cope - show them the physical drain as well as the emotional and mental, give them extra information such as articles or short videos so to give them a better understanding. But this situation truly is out of your hands, you can merely give them resources to come to a conclusion but you can't force them to change their minds. Hopefully they'll soon learn to support you. And if no, always come here, because we definitely will.
dancingTurtle59
sometimes people will not understand and we cannot make them we can try to explain it but that dont always work if they love us they will understand
EndlesslyDreaming
November 21st, 2017 3:40pm
Show them research or if you go to the doctors together have them speak about it there. If they are friends and they don't try to understand or anything I wouldn't continue to call them my friend.
courageousJoy86
Be open about it. Try to explain how it feels like and have a lot of patience, it will take time for them to come to terms with it
Spiritualvegan68
growing up for me was difficult. many people in my family suffered from mental health issues and various disorders. so my advice on making them see how much depression in affecting you is to sit down with your family, gather them around and have a real open honest heart to heart conversation about how much your mental health and depression matters to you. explain to them how your depression makes you feel and what options there are for you to start the path for happiness. ask them if they have ever fallen on hard times and ask them how they felt.
Epikura
What has helped me is rationally explaining them how the illness works. If you don’t know much about how depression develops or how it works, you will profit yourself, if you take the time to learn something about it. It’s called psycho education and it’s very commonly used to help patients as well as their friends and family understand and handle the illness, as well. Seen from a rational point of view, it’s not only less scary for you to have to handle it but will also help the people around you understand what is going on. I wish you all the best!