How can I open up to people more even if it scares me?

Hannah Caradonna, MSW, RCSW (RCC #11330)

Social Worker

I offer a warm and non-judgmental space for you to work through your problems. I can help you with anxiety, disordered eating, depression, relationship problems and more.

Anonymous
By realizing that /by/ opening up more, you will start practicing, and getting less, and less scared.
silverRainfall65
If it scares you, there's never an easy way. Push yourself to be confident. The more you do, the more your brain will see your confidence as a natural response.
Anonymous
Go slow, there is always someone, who is just more approachable, maybe more calm, find people you can talk to, then join in gorup conversation and work your way up .
Anonymous
Start with person/people who you trust the most. When you tell them more about the things you've kept to yourself about, you may start noticing that it isn't as scary as it felt first.
Richie15
Well... Who says you have to? Some people are really open and will tell everyone everything, others prefer to share only with a few very close friends. Whichever works for you is what's right.
TheRealMadison
one of the best ways is to just go for it. you wont be comfortable with something until you step out of your comfort zone!
Degrooty
In my experience, talking about to a person and what they enjoy was a good way to start making friends. Once I was able to do that, I could then tell them what I loved which created a comfortable environment for me to open up more.
Anonymous
Opening up is not something that happens from one moment to the other. It does take a while, for everyone. What are you scared of that will happen if you do open up to someone? You can start off by sharing small things that hold personal value to you, but aren't afraid that can be used against you, so to speak.
Anonymous
Choose carefully who you open up to, a non judgmental person is much easier to open up to, and once you get an idea from them as to how others may react, it can reduce some fears. Be selective, nothing is wrong with that!
starrySunshine87
Baby steps. Start where you're comfortable and go from there. You have a story and it deserves to me heard.
ablessing
You shouldn't open up to people if it scares you! If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. When you meet somebody you just feel right with it's gonna happen naturally.
PieCat
It's okay to not be able to open up to people you don't know well. Just take it slow. If the other person is someone you would want to be friends with, they should understand. Ask them to share something about them before you do yourself, if you're comfortable.
Anonymous
I start slow, saying a few things, just to see what reaction I get from the person I'm talking to. It's usually scary to see what reaction people will get, but once you slowly but surely get comfortable with the person, it gets easier to open up to them. It just might take a bit to get that confidence, and it's okay! Just remember, don't beat yourself up over it. We all grow at our own pace.
ashrose00
Doing what can scare us the most is what pushes us outside of our boundaries. When we go past our comfort zone and into a place where we wouldn't willingly go, it can expand our worldview and expand the comfort zone we do have. Try to remember that being vulnerable and open to people can help create some of the best relationships possible!
avanef
You want to always go at YOUR pace, no one out there should be forcing you to open up if you are not comfortable or ready to. There are people out there who will see that and either wait for when you do and be there for you no matter what, or they won't find it beneficial to them and at that point don't let that get to you either, it's about you, not them.
SaturnsShepherd
I believe the key to this, is taking a big deep breath and letting your inhibitions go. Embrace the "Scary" and don't fret when opening up begins to feel good!
XConsolingAngelX
November 22nd, 2016 3:39am
I used to be extremely shy I used to never talk. I actually started to every morning I would stand in front of the mirror in my bathroom and I would talk to it as if I was having a conversation with an actual human being. For a very long time I did this and it help me get the courage To open up and talk to people
Savatarion
Meet people alone, one on one, then start with innocent questions that doesn't affect you like the weather or the colors of cars. Then slowly move to things that is a little risky, like how you feel, if they are still friendly and accepting, try to talk about them, how they feel and what they have gone through. If they are open, you will feel more open with them.
LazySloth
December 2nd, 2016 11:46pm
start small first. tell someone about your day and whatever happened to you, then when you form a mutual trust, it becomes easier to trust people with deeper stuff such as your feelings
psychedeloun
I found that writing helped me open up about many things I was previously to scared to talk about. I wrote out my feelings or even drew them. I found that talking to people not only helped my but also them! Once I even made a CD with songs about how I was feeling on to give people an idea of my emotions without feeling exposed. Somethings get easier to talk about every time you tell someone, sometimes they don't. But in my experience it is always better when you share the weight of what is weighing you down.
beautifulSpace90
We were created as people to converse with each other. Without one an other we would not be able to function. Although on owning up to people may be hard and scary it's helpful. Start by sharing very minimal information. Like your name, family member and age. Then maybe start getting a little deeper about the things you share. Always know though, that who ever you talk to should never force you to share you talk about anything.
Anonymous
Why are you scared? Because they might don't take you're confession seriously? Why would you think about that? Think about yourself, When someone did open up with you, will you take them seriously or not?
Iamheretosupportyou
January 21st, 2017 5:45pm
Opening up to people is always something useful, just make sure you are connecting with someone caring and non judgmental, anyone you can trust! Try to open up once and see how it goes, but it will probably be rewarding, people are usually willing to help each other, more than you expect(just think about how many listeners are here!). And if it doesn't work, there are many other people you can talk to 😊
Anonymous
Before opening up to anyone, just try to have a look on yourself like what are your strengths and weaknesses. Try to listen others and try to understand what they are saying, what they mean. After that pick some points which are according to your strength over which you can talk to them. I think it's the best way to open up with others
Anonymous
Take baby steps! It's going to scare you unless you keep doing it. the more you try to open up to people (I would suggest friends first since that tends to be easiest), the more comfortable you'll be with it.
Vampyyy
Well, opening up is one of the most important thing, and if you open up to a wrong person, it can be a dangerous thing. So the first step in opening up is looking for a person whom you trust and are comfortable with. Once it's done, it's quite simple actually, just find a quite and peaceful place, and you are ready to go.
Khadija
It might seem scary at first to open up to people, but learning to trust people more helps with that. The more you trust someone, the easier it is to open up to them.
Anonymous
You may start sharing to someone you trust. Start talking about daily activities... like how was your day, what you did etc.
YourFriendBlake
Just start by sharing a little bit of your situation at a time. You don't have to share your story all at once! And, if you feel like you can't talk about your problem yet, just talk about anything until you feel more comfortable.
sereneStrawberry33
Choose people who are accepting and don't seem like they would judge you for it ever things you think are negative about yourself. Possibly you can talk to a counselor first, because it is their job not to judge you.