How can I self-diagnose depression? I can't see a doctor

Elena Morales, LMHC

I believe silence creates a cycle. With empathic and collaborative therapy, we break the cycle. I help clients feel validated and supported passed anger, shame, and anxiety.

AmyJulianna
You can take online depression screening tests. You can't formally diagnose yourself without a doctor, but taking those tests will help you better understand what you're going through.
CallingDreams
Same thing. For y'all who keep saying that you should see a doctor, i understand your concern, but some ppl cant. for example, ive talked to my parents about this and they said no we're not seeing a doctor so yeah...
AngelFace97
Illness or medical condition should never be self-diagnosed.Self diagnoses can often turn out to be untrue or inaccurate so it's much better to have this done by a medical or mental health professional.You could book an online doctors appointment or use the website DocReady to help prepare you.
Anonymous
You can anonymously do a self test on the internet which seems legit. But this only goes to the direction of what you might have. Only a doctor can diagnose clinical depression,
Anonymous
Yes. You are right about not to self diagnose depression. What I can tell from my experience is that by self diagnosis you are not really helping yourself rather you start ignoring stuff and eventually that just adds to your depression. I understand that it might be difficult for you to see a doctor but i would still recommend you to see a doctor. If that's not at all an option please do share your concerns and worries with your family or friends. If you feel depressed and dont share with anyone, the feeling will grow inside and then it might really be difficult for you to balance yourself. I can tell you by experience that sharing with friends is really helpful even if they are not able to help you directly. When you have someone whom you constantly talk about how you feel, you feel relieved and connected rather than burdened and isolated. Isolation is the last thing you would want to do when you feel depressed. So Cheers. Go and talk to a friend or any members of your family. Tell them clearly what makes you feel depressed and I am sure you will feel the difference. Hope it helps. Take care and Be happy :D
Anonymous
a doctor knows much more about that than a normal person, so you should go to a doctor because of your own good.
beautiful5oul
The internet can provide many up to date reliable online resources that you can read into regarding depression. There are online screening tests that may be available as well. Unfortunately you cannot obtain a formal diagnosis from a doctor at the moment, but that may be the most reliable answer.
superpoppy14
There are plenty of ways you can work out whether you may have depression or not. You can take the 7 Cups wellness test to give you an idea of whether or not you're showing signs of depression, but try not to get bugged down with the idea of a diagnosis. The most important thing is getting help and advice.
itsgwendyy
August 3rd, 2016 10:30am
I'm in trouble with the same reason. I want to be a psychologist to learn what's wrong with me. But you can do some real depression tests on the net. If it's really bad, you can realize it anyway.
michaelp1976
If it is a recurring thing that affects your daily life and you get feedback from others touching on it.
Tg119340
I think self-diagnosing anything is not the best idea. I know we think we know everything there is to know about ourselves and many things in the world, yet we don't really. Let a professional tell you they were trained for an extensive period of time to provide accurate diagnoses. Now, I did take 100 test to see if I was suffering from depression or not (indeed I was), but I still saw a professional to confirm my diagnosis.
Anonymous
You can't or you won't? I try to be very literal especially since depression likes to play word games with us to make everything look dim. It's okay if you won't, just be honest with yourself. Honesty is the first step. You cannot expect to overcome or self-diagnose depression without honesty and patience. It is ill-advised to self-diagnose depression, because you are IN it and so your clarity is already skewed if that is the case. There are ways, such as taking the 7cups Free Emotional Wellness Test (https://7cups.com/free-emotional-wellness-test/) but these tools should be used as a stepping stone into taking your condition seriously, which may or may not including consulting with a doctor. Depression is managable without professional help, but is much harder to go at alone than with someone else. Other sources of support besides a doctor are a school therapist or counsellor, anonymous group therapy meetups in your area, online support like 7cups or 7cups therapy, and self-help books or self-help guides, like the 7cups Depression Support Guide (https://7cups.com/depression-help-online/) Good luck and be safe.
Anonymous
Unfortunately only trained medical professions are able to diagnose depression. I would highly recommend you see a professional about this prior to any treatment.
Neversaynever613
Take an online test. They aren't so accurate but they can tell you if you have. But still doctors are the best if you want to get help.
calmOcean40
You don't go out like you used too you stay in your room all day and sleep and you just lay there not feeling any emotions your friends and family recognize your not ok and you know it too you literally feel nothing you don't want to eat
Anonymous
You really can't stealth diagnose yourself with anything. But depression is actually a common thing, they're actually easy ways to treat depression without medication. There are many different coping skills that you can learn to use. I suggest that you look up dialectical behavioral therapy or cognitive behavioral therapy those two different types of Therapies we don't really help concentrate on your issues and help improve them.
Anonymous
Depression is classified as prolonged sadness, typically over a 2 week period, and this sadness affects your daily activities such as not wanting to eat, sleep, socialize, etc.
Mannanan
April 2nd, 2018 9:57am
There are many ways to self diagnose. I would probably use an online self-help quiz. Don't do the first one you see. Look around for the ones that have the best ratings and most accurate summation. Try a few to gauge if the information is consistent. This will alow you to take the necessary steps to seek professional help and start the recovery process.
Anonymous
If you're constantly feeling sad, or when you lose interest in doing the things you like, you could be experiencing symptoms of depression. You can use a tool like the Beck depression inventory