How can I tell my parents that I think I'm depressed?

Netherlands

Caroline Middelsdorf, MSc.

I am a warm hearted, patient, calm and open-minded therapist. I am here to dedicate my expertises to my clients and their individual challenges, thoughts and feelings.

CallMeMatheus
Honesty is the best way. Tell them how you feel and what you want them to do to help. You could also ask to see a doctor or consult a counselor.
Millichidulinas
Just sit with them and be honest the best you can. If they love you they will understand and accept you, and help you. And I know they will.
Anonymous
I had to tell my mother this one day. What I did was just tell her right after I came home from school. She kinda got mad at me, but I told her I was serious and she got me someone I could talk to about it.
mmmmegan
That's a hard thing to do, but it has to be done. They will most likely be shocked, but they will want to help you. When depressed, you should open up to people and let them help you, especially your parents. You should probably just sit them down and just say it.
RinRinChan
It is best to ask them from their time for some time. Tell them your struggles first, and how it is affecting your daily life. Mention how you researched about it, and it appears to be depression. Tell them that just to be sure, visit a doctor.
YukiSYan246
You can write letters. Express your feelings, your situation, explaining that you need help and hope that they accept and understand you.
Anonymous
Well, i can say that i always tried to indirectly tell mine when i was feelinf depressed. But it's more of a thing what your parents are like. I told my mother, and she was sad, but wanted to help and talk to me. We were both sitting in living room, and i told her that sometimes i feel sad.....well it started like that and we talked about everything and she helped. You should find your way to tell her, anyhow how you'll feel comfortable. If you'll feel more comfortable with writing everything you feel and want to say on a paper, that works too. Good luck, you can also get help here, anyone will help :)
steelnerve
Parents could be told about depression by saying them, "Sometimes I feel everything's sad. I really appreciate if you'd take some time to talk to me about it."
mkehelper
It can be very difficult to tell people we are close to that we are sad or hurting. Often we may feel that they won't believe us or take us seriously, or that their reaction will make us feel bad about how we are feeling. It can be a scary feeling when we make ourselves vulnerable to others by sharing something personal. However, many people also feel much better after sharing our feelings with someone who can support us and find that the fears they had prior to telling someone did not come true. It's always easier to tackle a difficult situation with someone to help us. Remember, a problem shared, is a problem halved! Always remember that there are people who care about you, in your personal life, and here on 7 Cups!
Anonymous
Personally, there is no standard way of telling your parents about depression. It depends of each individual. However, I think that everything depends of how each of us prefers to express themselves. For example, some can tell their feelings easier by writing, other by painting and then explaining, others by simply telling to their parents. I believe that by imagining how they would react and decide what the best way can be because we know our parent better than anyone.
Anonymous
An open, honest discussion is almost always the right way of giving news and getting what you want out of it without anyone being hurt or wrongly understood
ACESiT
Some of us may find it scary to tell people close to us how we actually feel. However, doing so may bring you closer to them and allow them to help you. :)
Helpfulhand97
Sit them down and explain to them exactly how you feel. Tell them why you believe you're depressed and ask them if they're willing to help you find the support and help you need
StudioGhiblix
It shouldn't be hard at all if you have caring parents. Just simply have a chat with them and tell them everything. Afterwards you can get the proper treatment.
Anonymous
Parents are most of the time oblivious to depression and mental illness in general. Sometimes we fear how they will react, we think they'll say something like "You're overreacting", "Don't be such a crybaby", etc... But I think think the best course of action is to just sit down and talk with them.
Sugarbun6587
Approach the situation calmly. Ask for a gathering in a room and tell them, in whatever way you find comfortable. Then ask if you can seek professional help to solve the issues.
Anonymous
Sometimes parents can pick up on when their children are depressed. However, sometimes parents don't have a clue. Children may not know what the word depressed actually mean. So, the best thing a child could do is ask the parents if he or she can talk to both mom and dad together. Then you can start by telling them I feel really sad a lot.
competentTree70
The best way to do it is to be straight forward with it, and ask if they ever experienced it. If so, ask for tips on getting through it.
BatmanAtYourService
how about just going to them and getting comfy around them to discuss depression and then telling that you think you are going through the same?
MaxCaverly
Start bringing up the topic of feeling sad and feeling down for a while so you can see how they react to it. See what they think is wrong first, then tell them you think you're depressed.
Anonymous
August 3rd, 2016 1:55am
Talking with parents about depression takes courage and willingness to open up. It may feel awkward sharing personal feelings with parents in a way that you haven't done since you were younger — or perhaps at all.
Anonymous
Its better to sit them down and talk things through camly. Let them also know that this is a serious matter and you need their help to solve it as they are your parents. At the same time any parent would help there child through any problem so do trust and believe in them.
rhulecat
When I did it, I told my mom that I needed to tell her something in private, so we went upstairs and sat down. I was very nervous at first but I told her flat out that I thought I was depressed and told her that I wanted a counsellor, and professional help for someone to talk to about it. She was very supportive.
Anonymous
This is a really hard question.... Because some people find it really difficult to tell people because they are afraid of something 😔 But I find that telling your parents or parent that your depressed is abit hard but it's different for everyone 😊
Anonymous
Just be honest with them. If you think they won't understand, try telling them how you feel. It takes a lot of courage, but usually important things do. It's good to have your parents supporting you and understanding how you feel!
Anonymous
Its sometimes useful trying to get on parent's shoes and put your thoughts out in a way that would make them pay the appropriate attention towards you.
Anonymous
Explain to them that you're not coping too well at the moment and are struggling with low mood. Perhaps they can help to lift your mood and support you in setting by up a network of support when you do feel this way.
frenchiek
Sometimes, the best thing to do is tell them that you need help, straight out. Doing that, is strong. Asking for help is a sign of strength.
colorsofthewind
The best thing is just to say it, try not to find a perfect moment or anything, just let those words out
Anonymous
Explain that you are serious when you say that you're depressed and that you're not doing it for attention, be honest with them and tell them why you are depressed and what you want to accomplish by telling them.