How can I tell my parents that I think I'm depressed?

Netherlands

Caroline Middelsdorf, MSc.

I am a warm hearted, patient, calm and open-minded therapist. I am here to dedicate my expertises to my clients and their individual challenges, thoughts and feelings.

Anonymous
Just be openly honest with them. They will understand and want to help you because they wont want you to be sad.
creativeSunshine46
Sit down and have an honest conversation with them and tell them how you think you might be depressed
Aimeelynn1602
Just sit down with them and tell them your symptoms. Tell them how your thoughts. Best of luck. xxxx
cateyegirl22
You have to sit down with them, tell them how you are feeling. Ask them for help. you don't have to feel alone.
musicobsessed124
Just say that you've been feeling really sad and negative lately and are getting worried about yourself. Maybe mention that you think you could be depressed, or if you think it'd be better, let them reach that conclusion on their own
Anonymous
You can tell the parent you are closest to that you need to talk to him/her alone. When you are together you can tell in your own words that you are not happy and what you truly feel like. Tell in a way to show that you are not really in control and that you need medical help or counselling if necessary and you are agreeable for it.
Aicel
Write them a letter telling them exactly how you've been feeling lately, what thoughts have gone through your mind, about the research you've done about it, and that you need their help.
Christiinee
Depression is not a thing you should keep to yourself. When you're telling your parents make sure you tell them everything you think is making you depressed. tell them in calm way and you'll be surprised how much they can help
narscef8797
Tell them how you truly feel and ask help from a professional. Know that you will feel better after.
Anonymous
I can talk to my parent's about how i feel and explain to them why i feel like that. & Ask for advice
amazingJoy168
Sit them down and let them know how you feel, tell them you want to get help so you can be happy and live a normal life and let them ask you questiojs cause they may not understand.
sdmvs
You should choose a personal moment with them and explain them. I'm sure they'll help you to get through your struggle
supportivePanda99
Hey welcome to 7 cups! I'm happy to listen, but I'm not allowed to give advice. You've been feeling depressed? Would you like to share more about that?
Anonymous
By being completely honest about your feelings and reaching out to them for help....................
EsmeRose
The best way you could do it is by sitting them down and talking them through it, your symptoms, the way you feel and all... Help them to understand the illness and make it clear you think you have it.
blackstar
Calmly sit them down and tell them. There's really no easy way to do it, I know. When I did it, I was angry and frustrated and couldn't understand why no one was helping me and I know I was wrong for that. I needed to calm down and explain. Just be prepared for their reaction.
Anonymous
You can ask them to sit with you, and just tell them how you feel. If it's not easy for you to do it on your own you can ask someone else to help you.
RobRH
Have an honest discussion. Show that you're thinking with logic, and give solutions to put you towards a path of positive progression
Anonymous
The easiest way I have found is to come right out and say it. Of course it's easier said than done but it's faster than trying to drop hints.
Anonymous
It all depends on the sort of person you are, your parents ethics etc., however the most traditional way to do it is to just sit them down and have a conversation with them about it.
Anonymous
Go to your parents and have a serious, open-minded, honest conversation wih them. Say something like, "Hey, can I talk to you? I think I'm depressed and I need some help. Can I get a hug and then can we talk about it?"
imalovesyou
Your parents only ever want the best for you, the best thing to do is tell them how you feel, it always feels good to express your emotions.
ennaeyx
You should go to online depression counseling for specific advice, and you should tell your parents as soon as possible if necessary to get professional help.
Anonymous
this is a hard thing to do. you could write a letter and leave it on their bed, you could ask to talk to them and say something like "i think i'm depressed, and i'd like to get help."
Anonymous
You just tell them.They are your parents and they care for you so much.They love you and they will try to help you.You have to be completely honest and open up to them about everything that is on your mind.
Anonymous
Telling parents is never easy, but making sure you do it in a serious way is the difference maker. Sit them down and be genuine. Let them know your concern and that you are seeking help.
witheringflowers1
It's difficult to share personal topics with parents, especially if you've never talked of the topic. Not to mention that you may be confused on what's going on with your own self. And I don't care how cheesy this sounds, but parents really do have 'more experience' and have probably gone through similar situations. I personally always get anxious before talking to my parents. I'm scared they'll be angry, and I wish they could just spare me beginning the conversation by asking "what's wrong?" That usually isn't the case, though. It is usually your responsibility to bring up your problem, as nerve-wrecking as that sounds. You could always start the chat with, ¨Can I talk to you about something? It´s important." It really sets the serious tone. Let them know how you are feeling and that you feel like it's severe and you need to talk to somebody. IT'S OKAY TO CRY! In fact, I feel closer to my true thoughts while crying. It's totally normal and fine if you do so. IT'S OKAY TO WRITE A TEXT INSTEAD! You can always text one of your parents about it if you're anxious about directly talking to them. Then, when they ask you about it in person, it won't be as serious, as you already got the serious stuff out of the way. Hope this helps? xoxo
Anonymous
Have a chat with them. Just let them know you have something to tell them to hear you out on it. Let them know how you been feeling.
peachicus
You may find it easier to right write it down on paper, you can then express fully what you're feeling without feeling anxious in front of them it will also give them time to understand what you've written and help you. I suggest writing it out and leaving it somewhere where they will find it then let them come to you once they have read it. :)
Anonymous
It really depends on the kind of relationship you have with them. If they're usually supportive of you, just tell them about how you're feeling. It might be useful to send them links about depression so they can understand how you feel. If your relationship with them isn't that great, you could take baby steps, like casually explaining what depression is.