How can I tell my parents that I think I'm depressed?

Netherlands

Caroline Middelsdorf, MSc.

I am a warm hearted, patient, calm and open-minded therapist. I am here to dedicate my expertises to my clients and their individual challenges, thoughts and feelings.

peacefullittlekoala
November 2nd, 2016 12:49am
It's important to know that people can surprise you. Coming from someone who has experience with depression and didn't share with their parents, it is way worse if your parents find out on their own. They are your parents. They want you to be happy. They love you,because you are their child. Sit them down and let them know with short and plain sentences. If you don't think the words will come out of your mouth,write a long letter and explain the way you feel. Find a post online,show it to them and say "This is how I feel and I need your help to deal with it.". Depression is something everyone can meet at any point in their life. For all you know, your parents may have been depressed at some point. Sharing with them can only be beneficial for you. Give them time to understand and get used to the thought. Keeping it to yourself will harm not only you, but them too.
Butterfly121
Having that sort of conversation is never easy, and there is no right way to bring up a difficult subject such as depression with your parents, but in my experience, it might help to tell someone you feel close to and can trust first, or bring it up with a doctor.
ElianaCares
Try to bring it up lightly but be sure to express how you truly feel. Try to be honest and be clear about how they can help.
Anonymous
Explain to them how you feel. Let them know this is something you are serious about and angage in the convorsation.
Anonymous
Be honest with them , go to the counsellor at school and ask them to tell your parents of you do not feel comfortable telling them yourself , or just chat with them about how you are going.
AuroraMae
There isn't an easy way to do it. But, you want to approach them gently. You probably shouldn't just casually mention it in conversation, but, every parent IS different. If I were approaching my parents, I would sit down with them, and begin by saying I wanted to talk about a serious issue with them, and something that's important to me. Then, after getting their attention, I would tell them very gently that I've been struggling for a little while, and that you think you have depression. You may want to discuss treatment options with them, but just remember how it may sound to your parents. Assure them they haven't done anything wrong, and that you're telling them because you trust them enough to talk seriously with them. That's my advice.
softNutella25
This question hits home for me because I asked myself the same question when I was a sophomore in high school. It's very important that you just let everything out and be as honest as possible. It feels weird and scary, but the sooner you let it out, the better it will get.
Anonymous
January 22nd, 2017 10:12pm
Telling your parents that you think you're depressed can be the hardest step to overcoming the battle however, there are many ways that you can tell them. You may be able to write it down on a piece of paper and give it to them, or tell your family doctor and have her/him tell them. Another way you can go about it is to ask your counselor to speak to them. The best way to go about it is to tell them that you haven't been having a good time, that it's been hard for you and you'd like their help; they may have questions and that's ok, no one knows everything so answer them to the best of your ability. If there's something that you find hard to talk about then ask them if it's ok if you can talk to them about it when you feel like you are able to answer them to the best of your ability. Remember the hardest thing to do is to tell those who you love because you don't know how they take it, but it can feel like a weight lifted off your shoulders.
Anonymous
You can give small hints about it or even write it down on paper. Your parents want what's best for you so the best thing you can do is tell them how you feel. If you are having trouble telling them this though you can always talk with friends, teachers, and especially doctors
Anonymous
Sit your parents down and talk to them calmly and ask if they will be willing to listen and ask them how they would feel if you had depression and open up to them
Anonymous
Try and describe how you're feeling and try to explain where you think it's coming from and how it has affected you
Mushu74
By telling them your thoughts and feelings. If you are living together, they may have noticed anyway. I personally made an appointment with a GP, I got diagnosed with chronic depression and anxiety and told my parents that I have been diagnosed. My parents were supportive as I had an actual diagnosis, facts and evidence can sometimes be useful if they don't believe you.
ButterflyofEmpathy
Sometimes it can be helpful to have someone help you with this, whether they are there to mediate the conversation or just sit by you for moral support, they can be helpful in this situation. Setting aside a time ahead of time to have a family conversation can be helpful to ensure that you have their complete attention and listening ears. Let them know how you've been feeling, and what you think it is about. Oftentimes parents are understanding when conversations go this way, they usually want to understand and want to help. Good luck!
DavidT85
How about just telling? I fear we overthink this. Yes, we don't want to worry others, perhaps disappoint them, perhaps we fear the way they'll react. In my opinion, though, this and other "how do I tell" scenarios are rather simple. Difficult, perhaps, but simple: I find it difficult to see how the specific way you tell will have make any meaningful difference. Just decide if you want to tell or not. Then act accordingly. No?
cuddlyJoy42
April 2nd, 2017 10:55am
For me, I asked if I could talk to them one day after school, once they had gotten home from work. It's best to choose a calm time, where you will have a chance to have a productive discussion. Try not to worry too much, chances are they just want to know how to help.
Anonymous
Tell them how you have been feeling, and that you want help for yourself. You don't wanna go through it alone.
Louisa982
If you struggle to put it into words you could try writing them a letter or email. Or you could use a friend to help you explain it to your parents.
Anonymous
How do you talk to your parents about you thinking you're depressed. Start with telling them you have something you want to talk about. Then tell them you think you are depressed. They should listen. Hopefully you'll come up with a plan how to fine out if your depressed. There's more information available on the members page. Check it out.
StringTheorist
During my time in High School, I went through a deep depression. Most of the time I felt that no one around me could possibly understand what I was going through, and that feeling extended to my parents. While I could sometimes feel comfortable with my friends, and sometimes talk about my depression with some of them, I never had this privilege with neither of my parents. However, ny depression reach such a low point, that eventually, even my parents started noticing a change in my attitude, and lack of interest in things that used to give me happiness. To my parent's credit, they had never experienced depression around them, or never had to deal with it. So, when the time came for me to decide to talk with them to ask for support, it really caught them off guard. However, I was very honest with them, and told them everything that I was feeling: loneliness, anxiety, lack of interest, self loathing, empty. And my complete honesty was perhaps the best thing that I could have done because that's when my parents truly understood what I was going through. They were able to sympathize with me and they offered me all of their support and willingness to get a professional councelor for me.
Teddy522
Having conversations on certain topics such as mental health can be difficult, especially when it`s with people who care about you. If you find it difficult to talk, try writing things down first as a way of preparing yourself and getting a clearer idea of what to say. Make sure your parents are in a space where they can give you their full attention, mentally and physically. Express how you feel openly by saying something such as "i`m finding it really difficult to talk about this".
Anonymous
Being honest with them and expressing all the emotions that you feel, parents aren't there to judge you because they just want to help you an do what's best for you.
beanmeme
it takes strength and courage but just go ahead and sit down with them, say it's important and you've thought this over a lot (im sure they'd be able to sympathise most people have been themselves, they'll feel happy you trusted them and came to them for help) just do it. you'll feel accomplished afterwards and happy things are moving forward
TraceAaron
Tell them that you haven't been happy lately and you need help, its never a bad thing to ask for help if anything they can help you get the help you need quicker.
WutheringSoul
I talk to them in private, start a normal conversation, express my fears and ask them for help cause I know I can't help myself on my own. I assure them that I know I need help.
Anonymous
Explain that you have not been feeling right and you are not happy and thinking negatively. This is a step to recover.
MoonOfMyStars
Personally, the way I was able to address it was just to inform them about it. My mother is someone who has dealt with chronic depression for a good part of her life, so she was understanding when I told her about the depression and anxiety that I was and am continuing to work through. I think a good way to address it, mind you every situation is unique and may require an adapted or completely unique approach, is to speak about it as it is, an illness. It has many physical symptoms and it can be just as crippling as other physical illnesses can be. It's also a documented illness among millions of people. There are quite a few cited statistics and articles that one can find online that can support you when you talk to them about it!
Anonymous
It can be difficult to raise depression with loved ones, especially if it's the first time that you've been in this position. Try to be honest with them and explain how you've been feeling. If you feel like it might be too difficult in person, maybe write something down for them so they can read and process the information that way, then speak to them afterwards.
Anonymous
Parents are here to help us in our path in life. Having depression is not to be ashamed of. So just be honest to your parents and tell them how you feel. They will understand and try to help you in the best way they can.
Anonymous
You can always go about it by researching some and telling your parents that you're not crazy. Just approach it as you would any other illness. You would just tell them you think you're sick right? It's the same sort of thing, just with a label. Talk to them about how you've been feeling before saying, "I think I'm depressed." Writing it down on paper can also help you be more confident. You can hand them the paper to initiate the conversation.
Anonymous
Well I know that's a very hard thing to do , when it's the right time sit them down talk to the them about it , I pray that everything does great , have a nice day ! 💕