How can I tell my parents that I think I'm depressed?

Netherlands

Caroline Middelsdorf, MSc.

I am a warm hearted, patient, calm and open-minded therapist. I am here to dedicate my expertises to my clients and their individual challenges, thoughts and feelings.

Anonymous
Tell them clearly how you´re feeling, It could be that at first they might not understand you or might not accept how you are feeling but explain in a way that they´ll understand and then you can possibly find proper help for you together with your parents.
caringCat86
I know that if I was the parent I would be grateful if my child came to me and told me if they thought they might be depressed. Of course each situation is unique, but assuming a normal caring relationship between parent and child, the parent should be the first person to go to when a child has problems. They will have the child's best interests at heart and will try to do what they can to understand the problem and help to obtain help and support. So I'd say, please be brave and tell your parents directly. Being depressed is nothing to be ashamed of. We all experience mental health problems. Probably the parents themselves have had some experiences of depression. Many children do experience depression; some of it is caused by the hormonal changes that we undergo during puberty. Just knowing this can be a comfort, because eventually everything balances up again.
Anonymous
Telling your parents about your depression can be different for different people. It's best to match it to not only your personal preference, but to what you think theirs would be as well. Some people choose to just sit them down and tell them what they're experiencing. Some find it difficult to be that straight up, so they find something they can relate to regarding how depression feels and show it to them. There's lots of ways you could possibly take on the situation. It's easier if the way you present this information to your parents matches how they'd rather hear it as well. For example, some parents like it when their children are straight up with them. Other parents have a hard time dealing with a load of information like this at once. There's lots of ways you could do it, but things will work out more smoothly if you consider their feelings as well as your own.
LilGreenBird
Find a time when everyone is calm and not too busy, if possible. Gently let them know that you'd like to talk to them and when they're listening, state clearly and simply that you think you're depressed. It may seem terrifying to do so, but stating things plainly can reduce confusion or misunderstanding in the future. For those of us who worry about talking face to face, you may wish to write them a letter for them to read when they have time to do so.
Anonymous
It's best to just get it out, sit them down and explain to them exactly how you feel. Tell them how long you've been feeling this way and ask them if you are able to take the next step and seek help. A lot of parents aren't too good at comprehending their children having issues, especially when they're unable to see them themselves. Best wishes.
Anonymous
It is completely up to you how you want to tell your parents but, a great way is to write a letter explaining how you feel and what help and support you need. A letter will give your parents time to process what you are saying and then they can talk to you about it whenever they feel ready to.
gongoozlersoup19
How do your parents view mental health issues? Are they accepting and supportive of it? Or are they dismissive and minimizing of mental health? Seeing where they come from will affect how you approach them.
jasminishere
If you're comfortable with speaking to them I'd suggest talking to them both when they are together, perhaps at dinner when you're all together or when it's quiet and just you both. If they're quite busy, or you don't feel comfortable with telling them face to face perhaps a letter or email or even a text would be a nice way to tell them. Explain how you're feeling, and how long you've been feeling that way and that you would like some help and support.
Anonymous
Its simple.Go and tell to them how u feel.If u feel you are depressed then you should tell that to your parents.They are your best chance.And informing them about your situation will help you a lot.They will take care of you.Just sit with them and talk to them and tell them how you feel.
MayaRainbow2
There are different ways to let your parents know! Writing them a letter, set a time to talk to them, talk to each parent individually. Plan it ahead and see which way works best for you! Best of luck :)
soulcompany
Probably you're parents may already know you are and are hoping that you go through this phase by yourself as maybe this time that you make this fight and stand up for yourself you be stronger. This is in the scenario that your parents may already know. If they really haven't noticed that you are depressed maybe you can talk to one of them or just acts such as go and give them a hug and even if you have breakdown that's okay. Your parents Love you so it's best to never let them not know how you feel. :)
Anonymous
Sit them down and have conversation with them about things that are bothering you. Ask for counselling if needed.
lifeisBeautiful05
Just go and tell them. They are your parents, in any situation they will support you and that too without judging you.
Anonymous
There are many ways you can go about telling them. You can outright tell them, text them, ask a school counselor or your doctor for help telling them, etc.
usefulHelper2003
You start of by having a conversation with them and slowly bringing it up . Start by saying some of the problems that have been going on and slowly they’ll start understanding
Empathdaddy
Despite how you are feeling, if you are in a situation where you have a desire to tell your parents you have depression, then you obviously value their opinion, care and love. Knowing that your parents would want to know in this situation, is the first step to making it easier to approach them. Choose a quiet time, when you will not be interupted and try to explain how your current situation is and how it makes you feel. Parents sometimes panic when they don't know the answers or can't "fix"everything for their children, so understand they may react in a way that doesn't seem helpful, but it is probably because they are scared. Try to tell them as many details as possible, including how long you have felt this way. Try to be open to their suggestions, particularly if that is to seek professional help. Letting people know how you feel, that care about you, helps to break the dam wall to release the emotion behind these feelings, it is the first step to feeling better.
Anonymous
December 2nd, 2017 5:20am
Sit them down and build it up slowly do not just drop it on them. They may ask where they went wrong just try your best to explain it to them. They will understand.
Anonymous
December 2nd, 2017 9:47am
I think it is important you tell them when you feel you are in safe environment, if they are busy and have their mind on other things they might not listen. So it's important you get there attention. Then just explain how you feel, say you are not happy, you think you are depressed and you would like them to help you with it.
Anonymous
Hello, I'm sorry that you are depressed and i hope some help goes your way. You could try and tell them one at a time or the one you are closest with. You could also tell them with a friend for moral support why you tell them. Just take your time and and do it when you're ready. Don't feel pressured into telling someone you don't feel comfortable with.
SleepingBeautifully
First you could always talk to them one at a time if you feel uncomfortable talking to both of them at the same time. Tell them what you are experiencing and feeling and that you think you should get some professional help. I'm sure they will come to understand you if you tell them what's going on.
Anonymous
December 23rd, 2017 4:52am
Simple, tell them the truth. The first step towards not only gaining support and acceptance, is by being honest with yourself as well as with the ones close to you.
Anonymous
December 23rd, 2017 7:11am
'Hi parents, I think I'm depressed.' I know it's a really hard conversation to have. It can be terrifying to acknowledge that things aren't going well. You might be worried about how your parents will respond. Will they be accepting? Will they dismiss your feelings? WIll they understand? It's hard to know because of course, I don't know your parents. But the only way you can find out is to tell your parents. If talking to them face to face is too hard, you could write to them in a letter or online too. I hope you get the support you need from them, but if not, know there are other supports out there here at 7 Cups!
Lovecannotdie
There's no easy way to do this, you should just approach and be honest and try to give them reasons why you are depressed so they can help you
Anonymous
Please do not assume things cause depression can only be diagnosed by a professional,if you want to visit one,try sharing your feelings with them first and tell them that you need help
Anonymous
Sit them down and tell them you have been feeling down all the time or most of the time and that you want to get help. If it makes it easier text one of them and say it or write them a letter
DragonEye
Explain how you feel, tell them you believe it's a concern, you are the one who knows yourself best
Anonymous
Talking to your parents can be difficult, but you should be open minded and know that your parents were your first friends. Sit down with your parents and express how you feel and what's making you feel that way.
Anonymous
Sit down with them and express your true feelings. If they don’t believe your depressed try and taking to them again but NEVER GIVE UP
Riseandgain
Maybe don't directly tell them you're depressed, but rather tell them how you actually feel. "I can't sleep at night", "I'm not motivated for anything", "I'm always tired". They'll understand what it is, and you'll feel more comfortable with it too.
Mariaupclose
Confront them in a time where they are relaxed or when you think is convenient. Tell them what you are comfortable sharing, but keep in mind that their response can either be positive (healthy) or negative.