How can I volunteer and talk to elderly?

Dorothy Paige, MS Psychology

I believe that any issue that prevents one from living life to the fullest or prevents self love is defeating. I am committed to providing support to anyone who seeks help.

Anonymous
You can volunteer and talk to elderly by going to your nearest council home office, and speaking to them about what you want to do for volunteering. Or you can visit your local elderly home and talk to someone who works there about what you want to do.
Bella20
Some churches have the option to volunteer. Mine does and I love to talk to the elderly at nursing homes. I love to make them feel like they are wanted and loved. Also you could go to a nursing home and ask them there. Either way I believe they would love to have you volunteer.
Anonymous
well talking to elderly is little bit difficult. Cause they have been through a lot in life. So to become a good listener you need some Patience and a little bit of empathy but you can learn a lot because they can tell you a lot about life.
Anonymous
If you're an adult listener you should be able to, however there isn't a specific age group for the elderly at the moment - this is an issue you can create a discussion about in one of our forums or contact 7 Cups about
PRUNE4BEE
i Can always spare a moment of my time to help out where they cannot, like doing laundry or cooking or even with entertainment. Just love all through
Anonymous
A great place to start with volunteering with the elderly is simply your local nursing home or assisted living establishment. Many of those people have no visitors and would love to talk to you. They usually have a receptionist that can guide you through the process to become a volunteer, a process that may vary at different places. Good luck!
Anonymous
I would make some calls to the local nursing homes and assisted living residences in your area to see if they have some way to volunteer. I'm certain they will.
Anonymous
You might consider reaching out to local community centers, as well as senior services in you area. Once you connect, I think there is a good chance that training would be provided to you, as a volunteer. Wonderful that you have interest in volunteering in this capacity, by the way.
TamaHawk
It is actually much easier than you might realize! There are usually assisted living or convalescent homes were you can just randomly pop in and introduce yourself and ask them how there doing or ask them to tell a time they laughed uncontrollably. This usually opens them right up. It also creates a great conversation so the next time you pop in just to say hi! They will be waiting with another funny story to share.
Anonymous
At your local nursing home, you should be able to volunteer there. You would be able to help the elderly and also talk with them to keep them company!
Florallyme
August 22nd, 2015 12:08pm
Talking to the elderly is such a great idea; sometimes they may feel lonely, or isolated from their families and friends. One way to volunteer is to inquire directly at the nursing home that you want to contribute at. You can give them a call, or visit in person. I'm assuming that they might run some background checks as well. At the same time, kindness begins at home. If you know an elderly person in your neighborhood or local area, perhaps you could pay them a visit just to chat. They may appreciate your company!
Kitty8
There's usually volunteer opportunities in nursing homes and those are great ways that you can volunteer and talk to the elderly!
Miracle
Often you can ask in care homes if you can volunteer, it often helps if you can do something engaging with the people there, such as teach very basic computer skills, help them make cards for relatives, or maybe do a quiz evening.
pleasinglyPoetic
Look into any of your local community centers for older adults! A lot of them welcome volunteers to come and simply talk with the participants there, though you're bound to get involved in various activities too! There's also the option of volunteering in assisted living facilities and within hospice care, though it's not for the faint of heart.
Anonymous
I will talk slowly and help them in the way they want ....and listen to them word to word and make them feel like they are talking to their friend
mscoxie
Some great places to volunteer to work with the elderly are your local hospital, hospice center, or nursing home. Many elderly people don't have anyone to visit them so they greatly appreciate volunteers who come spend time playing games or just talking with the elderly patients. It is very rewarding as well.
caringIceCream67
Talking to elderly people is a wonderful thing to do.Sarting a conversation is easy, you juss have to ask how they are, if they had food, hows your healrh status, did u see the doctor and then then it continues... :)
krazeniks
November 21st, 2015 11:48am
Keeping mind that elderly people have less self control and sometimes might be difficult to handle,we must behave with them gently and with care as if they are children.
origamicraness
During my summer holidays, I volunteered at my local hospital helping out in the elderly wards. Hospitals are a great place to volunteer as they have a lot of opportunities. As a volunteer, I wasn't part of the hospital staff and so I wasn't part of caring for the elderly. My role was to distribute tea, coffee and snacks in the evening to all the elderly patients in the ward. This may seem like an insignificant job but as time goes on, you will find out you have learnt what most of the patients ask for. You will learn that they often tend to ask for the same snacks or take their tea the same way and if you remember these little things about them, it will make their day. There were a lot of elderly patients who didn't have any visitors so when you visit them with a smile on your face, even if it is to serve them beverages, it makes them really appreciate you and in time they will talk to you. I had this sweet old lady talk to me about her family for over 40 minutes once. The elderly often have a lot to say and they just need someone who is willing to listen. They are very gentle people and just need some caring words and appreciation. With the elderly, you just have to be attentive, make sure you have eye contact and speak clearly. When you first meet them, it is best to introduce yourself first so they can be comfortable around you. The elderly often like to talk about their family so you can ask them about the kids and grand kids. You can talk about include places they've visited and the experiences they have had.
softNutella25
If you're interested in helping in person, you can volunteer at nursing homes, hospices, hospitals, etc. and help the elderly that way.
AuntieLili
Go to a senior living center or activity center and ask the director if there are any volunteer positions that you could apply for. Organize an activity (arts and crafts, music, dance, etc) and offer to lead it at such a place.
KiForEverybody
Just look for a place where wise people are: could be in a Park, near a chessboard, on a square where benches are, ... than take action and give voice to your resolution: "Good Morning Madam (or Sir), I would like to .... Do you mind?" remember to respect yourself and the other :-)
Ky23
I'm sure most nursing homes would appreciate the extra help! It's as simple as calling in or even visiting to see how you can help out. We can all learn a lot from our elders. They benefit speaking from you, as much as you do with them.
Ali
Most of the time you can find an elderly home or assisted living somewhere in or around your area. I actually volunteered at one over the summer and it was a great experience. Even if you don't officially volunteer, just sitting and talking to them not only brightens their day, but you can also hear some pretty amazing stories!
heycrysteezy
From my experience working in nursing homes, they love to talk about themselves. It also helps if you're dealing with people with alzheimers or dementia, asking them more questions about themselves is a good way to help them exercise their brain. Going back and forth between comparing experiences with going to school, working, etc. etc.
Elle22
Getting in contact with local senior living establishments is a good place to start. Try asking them what volunteer positions are available, or look for groups that already visit the elderly and join.
Brittany96
If you'd like to help the elderly then you could consider asking an assisted living facility if they need any volunteers. You can also ask any elderly people in your area if they need help with anything or if they'd just like to talk. There's also several websites (like the Elder Helpers website) that you can conveniently sign up for to find elderly people in your area who are in need of assistance.
Anonymous
The best place to start is by talking to a local charity like age concern, or you could pop to your local home/support of the elderly
KindHelp
Go to a senior center, they can usually orient you how best to volunteer and talk to the elderly.
PeaceForYou
You could do a Google search for local care homes to volunteer in. If you have a neighbour who is elderly you could pop round to help with house work, shopping, paying the bills.....