How do I stop being judgemental?

Andrea Tuck, LCPC

I tackle and discuss a multitude of social and emotional health issues. I have a belief that through empowerment and non-judgmental support clients' can thrive.

Anonymous
think about how you would feel if the person you maybe judging was you or a close friend or family member how would you like others to act towards them.
Anonymous
you can let others speak about their side of the story and try not to judge on the weirdness or not making sense to you, let them for heard and not do the other way around and bring them down.
HelpinJoe
You want to realize that judging people will put you in a thought process that brings constant anxiety. You don't want anxiety.
UniqueHeart
You have to think about what the other person is going through - you have no idea what is going in their life. They may be going through an extremely difficult time and having someone judging them may make them feel even worse. You should try putting yourself in their shoes and imagine how you would feel if the situation was reversed.
Baileybug
Instead of looking at/ for someone's or something's fault, look for the good in it.
IntuitiveDrops
Being judgemental is a normal human function. It´s our behavior and how we treat others that we have to control. Judging isn´t always bad, it helps us to distinguish who is friendly and who is out to harm us.
EsmeRose
You should try to see others as human. When i say this, what i mean by it is that when someone makes a mistake know they are only human and its natural. You make mistakes and so do others. If you are judgemental about appearance or personality, know they feel the exact same as you. Maybe they have confidence issues and you should try to understand that. No one is perfect and no one should judge anyone. We are all the same.
JudyMoonshine
The urge to judge others is a tough one to overcome for a lot of us. Try to respect that everyone is on their own journey and how you would like being judged.
Anonymous
for me I always try to put myself in there shoes and imagine what they are going through, maybe behind the scenes as some people hide how they are feeling and I imagine that me judging them is just going to make them feel worse.
Anonymous
You won't. Everyone is judgemntal. You can be more tolerant but that's all. Use that judgment to avoid making loser friends or wasting time with wrong ppl.
Countrygal92
Try to paying more attention to your thoughts. A lot of our thoughts are automatic, so judgement might come up without much thought. By being aware of your thoughts you can analyze your thought patterns. Ask yourself, is this thought helpful? Is it necessary? Sometimes all it takes is being more aware of the judgmental patterns.
Anonymous
Don't care so much about other's opinions. Worry about yourself but don't ever judge yourself too. Stay positive!
LoveAll425
Look at it in someone elses shoes , how would you feel if someone called you ugly or fat or not popular enough. Would you feel happy or depressed. so next time if you are judge-mental think about how you would feel!
llauren90
Stop and put yourself in their shoes. How would you react to the way their life is going. And do you really know how their life is going? Usually it's easy to assume someone lives a life they lead on to others, but it can be much deeper than that. Just remember that you don't know what someone could be going through and it's important to be kind to others regardless of what you think you may know.
Anonymous
Learn to get to know people better before making any sort of assumptions, the same way you wouldn't appreciate having someone judging you, hold on to that feeling and use it to not judge someone else before you are decently introduced to them.
Kat140615xx
Remember that no one is perfect. there are flaws in everyone and were all human we all feel what you feel,
PuppyLove13
Think of all the times you were judged when you just needed a listening ear.. You will automatically stop judging others..
valeriee
Come to realization that everyone has flaws even you and try to find good in people instead of focusing on the bad
SharonD
I think we become judgemental when we have certain beliefs of the way things are supposed to be. So if one wanted to stop being judgemental I guess the way would be to accept peoples individual differences.
WendyBird15
To prevent from being judgemental. I imagine myself in the other person's spot and how I would feel with everything that I say and if I catch myself thinking I would feel judged than I don't say it or I find a way to word it differently.
potatofriend
The first step is to identify when you are being judgemental. At times, sometimes judgements are necessary in life, that is why you most reflect on whether your judgements are helpful or hurtful.
Anonymous
I learn that everyone is different and that's one of the reasons why they are who they are! They're special! Just like everyone else! Stop comparing people to you right own personal preferences! And you'll see how amazing the person is!
wonderfulPanda98
You can stop being judgemental by thinking of how you would feel if people were to point their fingers at you. The moment you understand how the other feels is the moment you stop being judgemental. It is only then when you realise that it is easy to judge without thinking abput how the other may feel.
Anonymous
Take a step back. Look at the situation differently. Pretend you were them. Think about life as if you weren't yourself. There are billions of people out there that live a life.
Anonymous
First off who are you or who am I to judge? Nobody is perfect, people accepted you for your flaws so why not learn how toacceot others for their flaws? Leave the judging to god, we have enough to do in a lifetime.
Anonymous
Us humans are judgmental. It's just who we are. Some people hide it better than others. My advice is to think about who or what you are judging and think "Do I really know that he/she is ____" or "I don't actually know for a fact that ____ happened."
Brianna2071
October 22nd, 2016 4:33am
Realize that not everyone is perfect. You should not be judging a life you haven't lived. Everyone is going through their own battle.
Christlime66
Being judgemental normally means that there is something in your life that you are very sensitive about, and judging something bad would make you feel better about your sensitivity. If you try and come to grips with your sensitivity you will probably find that you will become less judgemental.
plushMusic42
Think how wud it feel if someone judged u without knowing you. Be the person you want others to be with you and definitely you will see a positive and beautiful change in you
SirSoundwave
Try to be understanding with the person/group you have an issue with. And also try to find websites or people online who have/do what you have an issue with. Or ask close friends for advice. The best thing you can do is try to put yourself into their shoes and understand their perspective. Or ask someone on here!