How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

Lisa Meighan, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

OpenListener32
It’s important to have an open and honest conversation with your parents and others in your circle about how you're feeling and what your needs are. Setting up a network is key, whether that be family or friends. If everyone is on the same page, they will be able to better understand what you are going through and provide the support you need. This can be a difficult conversation to have, so I recommend asking your parents to do their own additional research on depression so they can understand exactly what you are experiencing and the additional support options available to you.
Bre4Me
I hope that your parents are understanding and accepting of mental health issues. This will make it easier for you to be open and honest with them about your depression. Depending upon which parent you feel closer to, I'd start by asking them to set aside a few minutes to talk to you. Once you're with them I'd just be open and honest about the fact that you're feeling depressed. Consider whether you're also asking them for help or if you just want them to know your feelings because they'll probably want to know what they can do for you. Remember, there's nothing to feel ashamed of here. Best wishes!