How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

Victoria Cook, LCSW

I work to meet all clients where they are - working first to understand their needs and employing the tools needed to help them become their best, most empowered selves.

Anonymous
You just explain to them what makes you feel depressed and see if they can do something to help it and find a way through.
Anonymous
All you can do is sit them down and talk and try to make them understand. It's hard and it's terrifying, I know. but the people who care most are probably them.
MountainStream2001
Ask your parents for some uninterrupted time with them to discuss something important to you. When you are in a comfortable and "safe" location for you, let your parents know you have been struggling with feelings of depression. Explain from your perspective what that means to you-like do you feel sad or do you not want to spend time with others etc. ask them if they experienced these feelings at your age and ask them "what would you wish someone would have told you back then that you know now." Trust that they will either help or point you to someone that can. KUDOS TO YOU FOR SHARING!!
Anonymous
If you find it hard to talk to them then write a letter and leave it on the bedside, refrige, kitchen table or anywhere you know they will see it
sugglet244
i think you need to tell them very calmly. they will be either upset, cross or think you are lying. you need to give them evidence and tell them how youre truly feeling
believerofhope98
I think a good and honest talk could help you.. Of course. this will work only if they understand you and you trust them, but being honest and straight-forward is the best way. Try to understand their reactions and don't feel too much surprised if they feel bad initially, because that's normal. In the best scenario, they will help you directly or will let you seek professional help, but remember that they will be there for you if you need
Anonymous
In order to tell your parents your depressed you first need to make sure you have there full attention . If you do then you can tell them why you think you are depressed and what you think may have led to you being depressed .
Anonymous
Just tell them the truth and tell them why you think you are depressed and that you need their help to get over this
Anonymous
Parents are the most trust worthy people in your world. Depression can build barriers between you and your loved ones. Understand that your loved ones will only want pure happiness for yourself.
Anonymous
If your scared to do it in person right a note or even call the whole family to a meeting to you could ask your guidance counsler for help it will be okay don't worry.
majesticHippos413
I have what i think to be a different approach on telling your parents you're depressed. I've done this with my dad, whom i have a hard time talking to in person, and its worked well. We write letters to each other. Yes, we live in the same house and see each other every day, but this helps so much. It allows me to think of everything i want to say beforehand. I simply place it in his room where i know he'll find it and ask him to write back. This works well because talking in person can be emotional and disable your ability to talk clearly or say everything you want to. You can even do it over text if its what you prefer.
Anonymous
A good way to tell your parents you are depressed is by making sure you do it at a good time. If the parent is stressed or you feel very stressed, then it's probably not a good time to try and talk to them. Also make sure when talking it's just you and them having a private conversation. Stay calm and try to help them understand how you are feeling!
icey97
as i teen you should be very close to your parents and they should know about your every day encounter, so when you feel depressed just summon courage and tell them
FantasticButterfly80
You could speak to them one on one if you find this easier. Be honest and tell them how low you are feeling. They will support and help you
Ladybug17
The best thing to do when you tell your parents that your depressed, is telling a school counselor or a trusted adult that could inform your parents on the definition and meaning of depression. Alot of people cope, express, and explain their definition of Their depression in so many different ways so it could be hard to explain it. Your parents would understand more if a doctor or counselor explained this to them, so they can help you as well.
Anonymous
Do it in whatever way you choose, I just straight up told them. In my opinion, it's easier that way. Sit them down and tell them. It's better to let it out than to keep it bottled up, so if you want help in regards to your depression, tell them you would like to see a therapist or get professional counseling, and if you are at immediate and/or serious risk of harming yourself, call a suicide or crisis line.
Anonymous
You talk to them. Tell them how you are feeling and build upon it from there. Describe how you feel when you are depressed and then build off and eventually just come out and say it.
Malte
Ask them to meet at a comfortable place, drink a cup of tea with them and talk honestly to them about your depression.
disclousure
Yes, this can help you build trust with them. Also, this can, in most cases, be the first step to get better!
compassionateSunshine76
it's as simple as you are depressed. Because may be your parents or any other person could feel it different or depressing for your being depressed but the truth is you are actually depressed which is far difficult to go on with than just feeling like 'she is depressed'. so be brave as you have been till now in having you balanced through all wrong happened to you and be proud of yourself for handling your own self better than anybody else could.
casicanhelp
Your parents are your parents. No matter how you may feel they really do care about you so it definitely is important that you tell your parents that you are depressed. It's a lot easier to tell them if you're closer to them but if you aren't as close, it's fine. Start by telling them about a bad day of yours-- a little small talk that could definitely lead to the topic of depression.
Anonymous
Depression is a difficult thing and I know that almost everybody goes through a patch of depression in their life. I know that when I was around twelve, I was depressed and thought that nobody liked me. My parents ultimately found out by the school counselor when someone reported that I was self-harming. It was embarrassing. My parents were hurt. Why didn't I tell them? Let me tell you that it will be a lot better if it comes from you instead of somebody else. Try to bring up a recent issue in the news and try to tie it to your depression. Use a gateway into it and ask for help. You're not alone.
Booksandcoffeearelife
Depression is a topic that isn't discussed yet comfortably, from what I have experienced. It still remains like a taboo. Sharing the fact that you are depressed takes a lot of courage. It is almost like revealing a vulnerable part of you. I think that while explaining to someone that you are depressed, you should tell them what exactly you feel. This will not help them understand you better, but it will you yourself to feel light. When I told my parents about my depression, it wasn't easy. I felt kind of ashamed. But I just spoke out that I have been feeling really down since two months and maybe I need help. And fortunately, they understood. So I think you should just put all your cards on the table and tell them that you aren't really feeling well mentally and it is taking a toll on you. Take care :)
HereToHelpAsBestAsPossible
Understand yourself and understand others; take into consideration the way your parents may react so you can explain it to them in a way they'll understand so they will want to be supportive of you.
Anonymous
Ask them if they have time to talk and sit down with them. Tell them what you've been feeling lately and how long it has been this way, and that u need help. Don't worry, they'll accept you, your one of the most important things in their life, their child. Luvs ❤️
neverletlifetakeyourspark
Write them a letter. Leave it on their bed before you leave to go to school. I did that, and I do not regret it one bit. I was able to get the help that I so badly needed. It was very, very difficult to do, but it was worth it. Your health and safety is worth it.
Gia556
What I would say is to just sit down and tell them, they're understanding people, and they love you, so they will get you the help you need, and if you don't know how to approach them, something simple like "Mom, dad..., there's something I've been wanting to tell you"
Anonymous
There are a number of ways you can do that - depending on the ways you might feel comfortable with, you can either choose to perhaps talk to them face-to-face, or if that's too intimidating you can try writing a letter. Some people also email or text their parents. Alternatively, you can get your school counsellor/teacher to tell them if that's something you're not comfortable with. Goodluck, you can do this!
PollyShipwreck
That is a tough one. They may have already picked up on changes in your mood or behavior and may have some idea that something is wrong. It is important that you let them know that something is on your mind so that they can be there to support you. Asking that you spend a few minutes of alone time with them in a safe and comfortable place might make it easier for you to express yourself. If you don't feel comfortable with a face to face perhaps writing your feelings down in a letter and letting them read the note privately is another option.
Anonymous
I have been self harming for a while but don't know how to tell my parents? Do I tell them or just leave it?