How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

Victoria Cook, LCSW

I work to meet all clients where they are - working first to understand their needs and employing the tools needed to help them become their best, most empowered selves.

Anonymous
I told my mom that I'm going to the doctor, and she asked why, and I said, "I think I'm depressed." And she just said okay. The fact that i was going to the doctor made the conversation easier because I was being proactive.
ImagineThatHappening
Honestly the best way to do it is busy saying it face to face, show them your true emotions and tell them how you feel.
Anonymous
April 22nd, 2016 4:11am
It's best if you do it face to face and after knowing/ positively knowing that you are going through depression. Since depression is a very sensitive issue, tell them that you are going to have an open conversation and tell the facts face to face.
Anonymous
Sit them down and tell them that you feel depressed. It will be hard but they will understand - they are your parents.
MakolligJezfahted
Go up to them and say "Mom, Dad, I'm depressed." There. Wasn't that hard, now was it, my distressed friends?
BlondeSouthernBelle88
its very important for your parents to know you are depressed. just be honest and up front and tell them..
xcxmotionless
What I did when I was depressed was I told them I had to talk to them about something serious, then we sat down and had a long conversation about it.
Kimberley28
If you a worried about your parents being supportive and understanding, you could decide to go to see your doctor first. This way you would find out if you are depressed and what the doctor suggests might be the best treatment for you. You could then get one or both of your parents to go to the doctors with you so that the doctor can explain to them. One of the problems your parents may have dealing with it is lack of understanding. If you are concerned about going to see the doctor by yourself and do not want to tell your parents do you have someone else in your family or a friend who would be able to help you.
Iam80Here
Take a deep breath, calm yourself down, keep a cool head, remember to face the consequences no matter what they turn out to be. Expectations could be kept to a minimum; however, it's not going to hurt to be just a little hopeful. Finally, just say it. Be brave, be bold, be courageous. Be you.
WarriorDreams
Talk to your loved ones openly and honestly. You may not feel like yourself but you'll at least stay true to yourself.
lalaloveyouu
just come out with it, a lot of teenagers are depressed and it's nothing to be scared about. and by telling them you can easily get help.
Anonymous
It's really strong of you to acknowledge your own depression, and really smart to want to tell your parents and seek their help! Gather your parents, calmly, and tell them "I have something really important I want to talk about and I need your help." Give them a minute and then simply say "I think I'm depressed." Describe your symptoms, such as "I think I'm depressed because I feel demotivated all the time, I feel sad and it's hard to tell why sometimes, I no longer want to do things, and everything just seems to be awful. Can you help me?" Don't forget it's okay to ask: "Can I have a hug?" too!
Samisheretolistentoyou
I find that writing a letter and leaving it so that they find it can help. Let them know your feelings and try to explain what they could do to help.
Anonymous
It's normal go to them and at starting it would be difficult but they have given you birth they would definitely understand and help you get out of this situation
Hayles0111
Sometimes it's very hard to tell parents because your worried about their response. But sometimes just coming out with it is helpful. I find that writing letters a extremely helpful in showing how you feel. Write a letter and go for a walk. Talk over it when you get back and see what happens from there
Godlovesus
just tell them. if they don't understand (a problem which as a listener I often come across when dealing with young people), I will suggest you to seek a professional's help before the depression becomes too strong. But first you need to tell your parents, sometimes the lack of communication creates misunderstandings, may be if you tell your problems to them they may help you.
Anonymous
Ask them if they have time to sit down and talk to you about something for a little bit. Tell them what you're experiencing and how its affecting your quality of life. Express that this is concerning for you and that you need their help to figure out what to do next.
Anonymous
The way I did it is how i slowly started telling them how i was feeling, like the constant sadness and feelings of loneliness. Don't start off with being suicidal if you are, it will scare your parents and they'll be shocked and angry. Tell them about your symptoms and ask them if you could start therapy or go to a counselors if it possible.
sweetnutella
Maybe you can talk to them when the situation is serene. I mean when your parents are in good mood to talk. Try to talk to them slowly. Explain what you feel, what you think. Your parents exactly will be happy to know your truly thoughts :) Cheer up!
calmingDeer23
I cry in my mother's arms. And it makes me feel good. And make them understand I'm depressed. They help me. They're so kind. You can try it too.
Chloe2626
If talking to your parents about depression isn't something you feel comfortable about, maybe try writing them a letter. This way, you can add real detail and make sure it says exactly what you want it to.
smoltimes
There are many different ways to tell them. You know your parents the best, think of a way they usually take best to news, accommodate a bit of that into telling them. Just be honest with them.
Anonymous
I know sometimes it's hard, but you have to try. Go and talk with one of your parents and tell them, that you are depressed and you need some help, someone who can understand you or listen to you. This is so important, your life is important.
Anonymous
I think it would be best to talk when they are not busy at all and tell them you have something important to tell them. Start off by saying what's making you depressed would be best and then slowly telling them you feel like you're depressed.
strawberrySoul15
Your parents loved you since the day you were born. Make them listen to you. Make them understand about how you feel about everything that makes you depressed.
DaisyTalk
I tell my parents I am depressed by telling them that I need a hug and I need them to help to make the pain go away.
Anonymous
Sit them down and just be completely honest. They may not understand what you are feeling, but they will find someone who can help you. However, if you feel like you cannot tell your parents, tell an adult you trust.
mahayana
Sometimes, the best way to tell your parents that you are feeling depressed is not to label it right away. Let them know what feelings you are experiencing. Have you lost interest in things that previously brought you joy? Is it hard to get out of bed? Let them know about those things. "Depression" is a scary word that can lose meaning, but once your parent knows what that looks like and how it's effecting you, they will be able to provide you with the support you need.
TransMan1003
Well, I myself struggle with depression, about a year ago I went to my mom showing her the cuts she had noticed and wait for me to come to her about, I tried to vent to her but it was hard because I did not want her to feel bad or as if it was her fault, but I needed help, so I think the best way to tell your parents, if you have supportive parents, is to be open with them and tell them how you feel and whats going on in your life
ClAiRe123456
January 22nd, 2017 9:38pm
It sometimes may seem scary or daunting to tell your parents about depression, but it's better to do so. Try telling them you have something important to talk to them about and then maybe talk about how you've been feeling lately. Then, tell them you think you have depression and would like professional help. This is nothing to be embarrassed about! You will feel better about yourself after telling them.