How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

Lisa Meighan, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Anonymous
Ask them if they have time to talk and sit down with them. Tell them what you've been feeling lately and how long it has been this way, and that u need help. Don't worry, they'll accept you, your one of the most important things in their life, their child. Luvs ❤️
neverletlifetakeyourspark
Write them a letter. Leave it on their bed before you leave to go to school. I did that, and I do not regret it one bit. I was able to get the help that I so badly needed. It was very, very difficult to do, but it was worth it. Your health and safety is worth it.
Gia556
What I would say is to just sit down and tell them, they're understanding people, and they love you, so they will get you the help you need, and if you don't know how to approach them, something simple like "Mom, dad..., there's something I've been wanting to tell you"
Anonymous
There are a number of ways you can do that - depending on the ways you might feel comfortable with, you can either choose to perhaps talk to them face-to-face, or if that's too intimidating you can try writing a letter. Some people also email or text their parents. Alternatively, you can get your school counsellor/teacher to tell them if that's something you're not comfortable with. Goodluck, you can do this!
PollyShipwreck
That is a tough one. They may have already picked up on changes in your mood or behavior and may have some idea that something is wrong. It is important that you let them know that something is on your mind so that they can be there to support you. Asking that you spend a few minutes of alone time with them in a safe and comfortable place might make it easier for you to express yourself. If you don't feel comfortable with a face to face perhaps writing your feelings down in a letter and letting them read the note privately is another option.
Anonymous
I have been self harming for a while but don't know how to tell my parents? Do I tell them or just leave it?
Anonymous
I told my mom that I'm going to the doctor, and she asked why, and I said, "I think I'm depressed." And she just said okay. The fact that i was going to the doctor made the conversation easier because I was being proactive.
ImagineThatHappening
Honestly the best way to do it is busy saying it face to face, show them your true emotions and tell them how you feel.
Anonymous
April 22nd, 2016 4:11am
It's best if you do it face to face and after knowing/ positively knowing that you are going through depression. Since depression is a very sensitive issue, tell them that you are going to have an open conversation and tell the facts face to face.
Anonymous
Sit them down and tell them that you feel depressed. It will be hard but they will understand - they are your parents.
MakolligJezfahted
Go up to them and say "Mom, Dad, I'm depressed." There. Wasn't that hard, now was it, my distressed friends?
BlondeSouthernBelle88
its very important for your parents to know you are depressed. just be honest and up front and tell them..
xcxmotionless
What I did when I was depressed was I told them I had to talk to them about something serious, then we sat down and had a long conversation about it.
Kimberley28
If you a worried about your parents being supportive and understanding, you could decide to go to see your doctor first. This way you would find out if you are depressed and what the doctor suggests might be the best treatment for you. You could then get one or both of your parents to go to the doctors with you so that the doctor can explain to them. One of the problems your parents may have dealing with it is lack of understanding. If you are concerned about going to see the doctor by yourself and do not want to tell your parents do you have someone else in your family or a friend who would be able to help you.
Iam80Here
Take a deep breath, calm yourself down, keep a cool head, remember to face the consequences no matter what they turn out to be. Expectations could be kept to a minimum; however, it's not going to hurt to be just a little hopeful. Finally, just say it. Be brave, be bold, be courageous. Be you.
WarriorDreams
Talk to your loved ones openly and honestly. You may not feel like yourself but you'll at least stay true to yourself.
lalaloveyouu
just come out with it, a lot of teenagers are depressed and it's nothing to be scared about. and by telling them you can easily get help.
Anonymous
It's really strong of you to acknowledge your own depression, and really smart to want to tell your parents and seek their help! Gather your parents, calmly, and tell them "I have something really important I want to talk about and I need your help." Give them a minute and then simply say "I think I'm depressed." Describe your symptoms, such as "I think I'm depressed because I feel demotivated all the time, I feel sad and it's hard to tell why sometimes, I no longer want to do things, and everything just seems to be awful. Can you help me?" Don't forget it's okay to ask: "Can I have a hug?" too!
Samisheretolistentoyou
I find that writing a letter and leaving it so that they find it can help. Let them know your feelings and try to explain what they could do to help.
Anonymous
It's normal go to them and at starting it would be difficult but they have given you birth they would definitely understand and help you get out of this situation
Hayles0111
Sometimes it's very hard to tell parents because your worried about their response. But sometimes just coming out with it is helpful. I find that writing letters a extremely helpful in showing how you feel. Write a letter and go for a walk. Talk over it when you get back and see what happens from there
Godlovesus
just tell them. if they don't understand (a problem which as a listener I often come across when dealing with young people), I will suggest you to seek a professional's help before the depression becomes too strong. But first you need to tell your parents, sometimes the lack of communication creates misunderstandings, may be if you tell your problems to them they may help you.
Anonymous
Ask them if they have time to sit down and talk to you about something for a little bit. Tell them what you're experiencing and how its affecting your quality of life. Express that this is concerning for you and that you need their help to figure out what to do next.
Anonymous
The way I did it is how i slowly started telling them how i was feeling, like the constant sadness and feelings of loneliness. Don't start off with being suicidal if you are, it will scare your parents and they'll be shocked and angry. Tell them about your symptoms and ask them if you could start therapy or go to a counselors if it possible.
sweetnutella
Maybe you can talk to them when the situation is serene. I mean when your parents are in good mood to talk. Try to talk to them slowly. Explain what you feel, what you think. Your parents exactly will be happy to know your truly thoughts :) Cheer up!
calmingDeer23
I cry in my mother's arms. And it makes me feel good. And make them understand I'm depressed. They help me. They're so kind. You can try it too.
Chloe2626
If talking to your parents about depression isn't something you feel comfortable about, maybe try writing them a letter. This way, you can add real detail and make sure it says exactly what you want it to.
smoltimes
There are many different ways to tell them. You know your parents the best, think of a way they usually take best to news, accommodate a bit of that into telling them. Just be honest with them.
Anonymous
I know sometimes it's hard, but you have to try. Go and talk with one of your parents and tell them, that you are depressed and you need some help, someone who can understand you or listen to you. This is so important, your life is important.
Anonymous
I think it would be best to talk when they are not busy at all and tell them you have something important to tell them. Start off by saying what's making you depressed would be best and then slowly telling them you feel like you're depressed.