How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

Victoria Cook, LCSW

I work to meet all clients where they are - working first to understand their needs and employing the tools needed to help them become their best, most empowered selves.

1musicloverever
February 1st, 2017 10:04pm
Best thing to do is just tell them. Let them know your mental health isn't the best and you don't like suffering and being in pain. The last thing you, your parents and just about anyone would like to know is that your depression caused an irrational action upon your life. I've yet to find someone or something to 'cure' or stop depression, it's a psychological thing in our lives, some have it worse than others and I just think the best thing for you to do is do tell them, they might help you realize some things, or even get a medical opinion on whole matter, But do please, speak to them about it, your mental health is a very important thing and people on 7 Cups will always be there for you and care about you.
bubblegumTree13
It depends on how receptive your parents are. Thus you need to tell your parents at a time when they are most receptive to you, perhaps during or after dinner when they are relaxed. Start off with, "Daddy I need your help" or "Mummy can I share something with you."
Anonymous
I just come out and say it. I have learned from the past that expressing myself and being honest is the best way to go. Beating around the bush and pretending or ignoring was unhealthy for me. I usually express my current emotions and why I am depressed. Even though my mom thinks she knows all the answers as to why I am depressed - it just makes me feel better that I expressed this to her.
Anonymous
Sometimes asking to have a peaceful sit down with your parents and telling them what's been going on for you lately and that you're feeling depressed can help.
Food4Thought
Have a family meeting. Make sure all distractions (tv, phones) are away so the focus can be on you. Understand that it's normal to feel this way. The important thing is you want to get better. And sometimes the support from our family is what it takes. They're a resource you can always turn to, and it will mean a lot to them to know that you care enough about yourself and them to ask them for their love and support in such a difficult time.
Naturalheartedxo
Take it slow and be prepared for a few questions. Let them know everything you do the help when it gets bad, they care so much about you and only want to help you suceed in life! They will support you the best they can, it's scary for them too. Just remember that talking really does help but letting people know can also provide you with support when you need it the most!
furrylittlefox
This can be tricky because people respond differently to everything. So when talking with your parents about this I'd suggest being open/aware of the different reactions they may have. You can always write it down if you fear the direct confrontation and giving them the letter.
warmVision
Some parents often underestimate the state of depression, thinking of it as something "that will pass". I believe trying openly to express and explain how you feel to them. Make them understand what you're going through.
ThePhoenixRising
Sitting down face to face and asking your parents for help is a great way to open your conversation to them. Your parents want you to feel safe and happy in life and your asking them for help is showing them you trust them with this information. We all hear stories from our friends and family that are sometimes interesting and sometimes not so much but when we have a loved one coming to us asking for help our first reaction is to listen to them. Your parents are the same and under everything their job is protect and help you.
Lightning18
It's definitely not an easy conversation to have. Start off by sitting them down and getting rid of any distractions, as it's a serious conversation. Tell them about how you've been feeling lately, but also that it isn't their fault (unless it actually is their fault, in which case you should still be very polite). If it helps, you could also just write them a letter.
1life1fate
I would just be honest with them and talk to whoever your closest with and explain to them about how you have been feeling lately
Anonymous
Your parents will always want the best for you and they will be concerned about your wellbeing. Being honest with them about your emotional state is the best thing we can do. If they can not understand what depression exactly is, we need to express our feelings the best as we can.
Anonymous
If your parents are people you are close to and that you trust, who you feel have your best interests at heart, then I would take a deep breath and confide in them. I would tell them what you are feeling and experiencing and ask whether they would help you get professional treatment. It's scary to do this type of thing, but once it is done, you'll feel a lot better.
Anonymous
If you feel too nervous to talk to them then maybe try writing your feelings down and giving it to them. It will also allow them to read and let things sink in so that if it is a shock for them they have time to process how you're feeling.
OceanGirlSeven
Think about what you're going to tell them, little steps help! First tell them that you need to tell them something, something important. If they're the first person(s) you are talking to, tell them that it is difficult and that this takes a lot of courage from your part, because it does! Telling them you have a mental illness takes a lot of courage, but make them realize that the fact you are telling them is a step towards recovery, since you want to do something about it!
shadygirl0526
Talk to them personally. Tell them your story. How you end up being depressed. You can do it. Don't be embarrassed.
Anonymous
Depression can be a hard topic to bring up, but I'm sure your parents will be understanding and get you the help you need.
TheLightNights
No parent wants to hear their child is depressed. A million different questions run through their head, all mainly wrapping back around to "where did I go wrong as a parent". However it is for your well being that they know you need medical and emotional help and as a parent they will help you. Often times teens find talking to their parents about serious stuff quite daunting however nine times out of ten your parents know what is best for you and will do everything they have to do to get you proper treatment.
neverendingSoul212
Depression is not a bad thing so don't say it as if it is tell them calmly so then they'll take the news better don't suddenly bring it up start talking about it and then they will understand
HelpWisely
There is no "how to", just tell them openly and honestly how you feel and what is causing you to feel depressed.
Anonymous
I always found it very awkward to talk to my parents about personal things. So if your'e in the same situation, I would write a letter explaining how you feel. You don't have to be the best writer, but getting down your'e feelings can be very helpful, so I would definitely try it :)
Ava1122
It really does depend on your situation and what kind of relationship you have with your parents. In my case, I found it really hard to confess to my Mum that I knew I needed help but didn't want to ask her to help me organize it because it was costly and she already had a lot on her plate already. You really just need to be completely honest with them. and while that can be really hard, the only way that they have a chance of understanding or doing something about it is if you tell them the truth.
Anonymous
First off, be brave. Second, whatever it is which causes you to feel depressed, let it go. Lastly, tell them.. Tell your parents, they will always be there to support and help you (if first they do not get why or how your are depress, don't give up letting them understand you) and they will always love you, no matter
Anonymous
Approach them when they are both alone and start getting into the details. Many teenagers suffer depression, so it's okay.
Ruek
Ask to sit down with them and tell them that there is something you need to tell them about and that you will need all their support and help. I am sure they will be very understanding and will give you the support you need.
Shiba260
You should sit them down and tell them honestly how you've been feeling, explain so they can better understand. Tell them especially if you have been thinking suicidal thoughts so they can help you by taking you to see a therapist or maybe even family counselor so you all can go through this together. I told my parent when we were at our family counselor! My mother experiences depression and anxiety just like me, we went to the appointments and learned more about each other.
Roishere
I think the only way to do this is to sit them down. As difficult as this might be to do. Sit them down. Tell them exactly how you feel and what it is that you're going through. It's not entirely up to you to school them on depression but you have to be able to explain to them in simple terms what depression is. You could also refer them to websites that offer detailed, intellectual information on depression. Get pamphlets, book, from school or a local library and give them to her to read.
Anonymous
Sit them down and just say how your feeling. Your family members are there to give love and support. And being depressed is not a strange thing, many people are.
Kevan
Talk to them about your current situation and discuss the reason behind your depression with them. Tell them to help you get through this.
VanessaGraceStory
October 22nd, 2017 2:38am
Be honest with them and tell them in anyway you feel is best. Whether you write them about it in a letter or note, tell them in person, over text or even on the phone. It depends on your situation. Just be honest and straightforward, at least you can say you tried telling them when you decide to do it.