How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

Victoria Cook, LCSW

I work to meet all clients where they are - working first to understand their needs and employing the tools needed to help them become their best, most empowered selves.

Kay2134
If you find it hard to speak to them you could always write it down. Sometimes that can make it easier to express your real emotions without the conversation getting too emotionally charged that way they get to fully understand how your feeling and then they can ask any questions after
Lulubell21
There is no right or wrong to this question! Your parents always want to support you when you are going through something difficult. It's perfectly ok to feel scared or worried about telling them but remember that you will feel such a weight come off your shoulders when you do. The first step on the road to recovery is letting people know so that they can support you and be there for you. Just be honest and keep it simple and remember that you will be ok.
Anonymous
However you feel comfortable doing so. Writing it down can often be easier as you don't have to actually say the words.
JJill1
This can be a very tough situation to deal with, quite frightening to deal with sometimes. They do care whats best for you, try to remember that :) Most likely they will understand and be very caring.
SammiieSmiles
Have you tried considering writing a letter and leaving it next to their bed for when they wake up? Its one of the easiest ways as noone interrupts you, you can get down all your feelings and be able to express how you truly feel. Please remember its important to talk to your parents as they are there to help you through any troubles you have. They can help find the correct support for you if you ar struggling. Remember we are here all year round 24 hours a day 7 days a week if you need anyone to talk to. Take care and good luck xx
Anonymous
You express what you are feeling to them. Explain to them that depression is not something you can help and maybe they have dealt with it before.
lovelyPalm93
I would start of with saying that I was feeling a bit down and build on it. I wish I had just started it as a conversation because when I was in that situation I was self harming and my parents just found out because of the wounds. It would have been so much easier to talk it through.
healingCloud74
It may seem hard to share personal feelings with parents, especially if you haven't done it in a while. It also can be hard to share when you're not really sure what's going on yourself. Sometimes parents can offer a new angle that helps you figure things out. Just talking about it might help you see things more clearly for yourself.
Katishereforyou
First, ask them if they can sit down and talk with you. Explain how you feel and reasons why you feel this way. Ask them if there is some way for them to help you not feel this way anymore.
Anonymous
You have to break it to them slowly admit your not very happy and how you think you may need to talk to someone professional.
Anonymous
Say “I’m depressed and I’d like to talk to a manual health professional about what’s going on in my life and see if I can make some changes.”
SnowTheListener
Speak to the more compassionate of the two parents first. They'll be a lot more sympathetic to the sensitivity of the issue. Agree to have a sit down with your parents later where you're allowed to discuss how you feel in a supportive and caring environment.
Anonymous
It depends on the relationship you have with your parents. What you feel you can disclose to them. You know your parent better than anyone. Your parents love you and will support you in any way they can a parents love is unconditional. Sit them down and explain to them how you feel be honest and open.
QueerChristianTeen2004
You could write them a note to explain it. Or text or otherwise instant message then. Tell them exactly how thou feel.
AprylFools
The best thing to do is take a few deep breaths. It's always hard to admit something to your parents when you've no idea of how to start it. Explain to them how you feel in detail and tell them that you're struggling to cope with it and you need their support.
KeshavDev
'Talking' is the key! They wouldn't know until you pour out your heart to them. Trust me, sharing how you feel with people especially with your parents helps a lot no matter what situation you are in.
lovelife01
Firstly tell them that I want to tell you something. I believe and I know you will help me. I am sad for some reason. Tell them the reason and explain them.. they will understand and help you surely.
sarahburrito
May 3rd, 2018 2:17am
This is something I struggled with for a long time. In the end I wanted to tell them face to face but it was really hard so I texted it to them. After that it was still awkward to talk about but not as bad. It's up to you and how you want to tell them. It's kind of like ripping off a bandaid in that you'll likely feel a lot better after telling them. Good luck.
cuddles7998
the only way of doing that is a simple thing call communication. express what you feel, communicate, and suddenly you will see change. communication is the key to understanding.
Robinzoo
It is a difficult thing to do. If you trust both or one of your parents, try to sit down with them in an enviroment where you feel complete safe. Go through it slowly in your own pace.
TheDarkPassengerNC17
Try and explain to them in a way that “they” understand, we all respond differently to situations like this one. You may try having a friend talk to them with you.
heavenMusic11
They are your parents.Dont hide this from them.They can help you.You just have to go and tell them how you feel everyday.They will understand and help you out.
Lovelylily876
I would first need to convince them that I'm being sincere and honest in what I'm about to say because this way if I say something about my depression it won't get blown off. I'll next explain the things in my life that I haven't been satisfied with and that repeatedly dishearten me. I'll only continue the conversation further if they are interested and I'll request their help in recovering from my depression.
gracefulDancer29
You can sit them down and tell them what your situation is in a hypothetical view or in the third person when you've told them the situation then you can reveal that it's you who's going through the situation
Rainnydaies
Just wait until they are calm and resting, then ask them can you talk to them. Tell them your symptoms and how you're feeling and see where it goes
VersatileAngel27
Hm.Maybe it would be a good idea if,instead of labeling yourself as being depressed,you could tell them how you feel: sad, melancholic, maybe like you need more encouragement and support from them.Depression is a strong labeling word.and, they might become really scared and insecure,maybe even blaming themselves for the way you feel. You want them strong and reliable and caring. By telling them how you feel in small doses-so to speak- you allow and empower them to help you.
AverageJoe1989
I have always just been honest with my parents, a lot of times they have been depressed at some time or another just like anyone else. Even if you don't have the best personal relationship with your parent/s they will always love you and hopefully be able to shed some light on your situation. In any case, at least you got it off your chest.
iAnil4U
They don't need to be told, because they will get to know about your condition by just looking at you. After all, they have brought you up. But the best way to tell them is by speaking up to them, as we used to ask for little things when we were small children. Tell them about, from what you are going through. They will understand you and go heaven and earth to solve your problem.
2AmTherapist
Be straight forward about it. Don't leave subtle messages, or procrastinate on it. Just tell them, "Hey, I think I might depressed. Can I go get evaluation to see if I am or not?"
Anonymous
If you feel they are someone you can trust, honesty is the best. Start with expressing your feelings to them and take it from there. Opening up in a private situation, let them know its important they listen.