How do I tell people I'm depressed?

jennifer fritz, LMSW, PhD

Day to day life can be stressful and overwhelming and my strength is assisting my clients in a supportive, empowering and practical manner.

Anonymous
You don't have to use the big "d" word if you do not feel so inclined. You can always tell people, "hey, I've been feeling really down a lot of the time lately. This just happens to me sometimes but it has nothing to do with you."
Anonymous
Only tell people you are comfortable with. Let them know how you feel and tell them it shouldn't change their opinion of you, only that you may need a bit of extra support.
sophiee21
Be honest, there's nothing to be ashamed of! Be yourself and people will love you for who you are! Unfortunately lots off people go through depression at some point in their life but admitting it to yourself and other people is a great step forward to getting help and heading in the right direction to feeling better!
worldtraveller
Knowing that you are depressed is a huge stage. I think that going straight up to your parents first and telling how bad you're feeling recently may help them understand your problem. You shouldn't be afraid of what other people think, because no matter what happens you are strong and you can manage to end this. It may be stormy today, but it can't be forever.
Anonymous
Do you want to tell others your are? That is something with you, and you can tell whoever or not tell. Up to you. If you do want to let others you can trust know, then it is just something you can say. There is no reason to be nervous or worry. This is an issue going on with you, and they will only want to help. Honesty, openness, and calm conversations always work better when trying to convey your feelings to others.
lee92
Be open and honest with someone you can trust. Tell them exaclty what's going on in your head. You will be surprised how many people will be kind and understanding. It feels great to get it all put.
Erynn
It really depends on your reason and relationship to them. If I need to tell my boss, I give a different explanation than if I tell my spouse, and that is different from if I tell my student, which is different from my cousin.... I would advice you look at why you want them to know, what you want to them to do or understand, and how you want to best explain this, when, in what depth/detail, and in what manner.
Arkelight
There's a serious stigma to depression that really shouldn't exist, and it depends on the people you want to tell. I think the first course of action should be seeking out support, whether it be online or your friends and if things still escalate then it's time to see a Doctor. Attempt to be honest with people, tell them how hard it is, tell them about what may cause Depression from a medical stand-point to give them some perspective.
Anonymous
I was diagnosed with Depression this year and it's never easy for me to just tell someone that I'm undergoing depression. Just tell them how you've been feeling and then go from there. You don't have to put a label on it.
Gannon
It's hard, but possible! When I needed to tell someone about it, I would close my eyes and imagine I was saying it to myself... I'm sorry if that sounds weird, but it always calmed me down to think that I wasn't actually speaking to anyone. :)
Anthony974
Find someone you can trust that has been through depression at one point in their life. They often have more valuable insight than someone that has not.
EmmyRose
I would never tell someone I was depressed. I don't think I have ever used that word about myself verbally. Instead I talk about how I feel in a way that I think will make the people who I tell it to understand.
Anonymous
Start with one or two people, people you trust. You don't have to tell everyone all at once, and you also don't have to tell everything all at once. It's okay if you tell them about your situation a little bit at a time if that makes you more comfortable. Take your time, and try to pick people who you truly trust to listen.
Tumb13weed
You'll be able to share this with people you can trust, else the fear of not being taken seriously can be there. Tell them upfront, that you have reason to believe that you're undergoing depression. They're likely to ask you about further details, whence you can open up more and talk about it. Have your reasons ready; but since it's someone you trust, someone who cares, chances are the reasons won't be subjected to a scrutiny.
Freeverse
Just say it. There is nothing wrong in being depressed. There is nothing shameful about coping with depression. I think the bravest of the lot have the ability to battle depression.
SlayIsMe
Try talking to them in a friendly way letting them know your issues, and what you're dealing with in life.
DragonHearted
November 2nd, 2015 11:50am
If you wish to inform people that you're struggling sitting down one on one is best. Make sure you tell them that you have something important to talk to them about so that they know to give you their undivided attention. You may wish to start the conversation by asking them if they've notice anything about your emotions recently. Regardless of their answer, follow on by telling them that you haven't been feeling yourself. This opens the conversation so you can continue on and tell them that you are struggling with depression.
Anonymous
I have started by reaching out to people I trust. I tell them how I have been feeling, and ask for help about depression.
Anonymous
i think its better not to because then they get a chance to take advantage of it yes you should open your heart to your close ones but not everyone
Positivecounseling
Understanding your feelings, and where they are coming from will help you find the words to tell your loved ones or others that you are depressed. Not everyone understands what depression means, so further explanation is helpful.
KRN
If you want people to know that your depressed, tell them how you feel, tell them the current situation you're in. Tell them honestly, also tell them why do you think you're depressed.
healthyMax12
Talk with one of family member who'll listen to you without being judgmental. You can talk with your closest friend.
tranquilPillow93
just say i am down and your situation why you are and they should be able to figure it out from there
Miracle
Sometimes we don't need to tell people that we are depressed in order to allow them to understand that we are struggling. If you do choose to tell people that you have depression you need to be prepared for a whole range of reactions from denial, rejection, support and even over protectiveness. There is no best way to tell people you are depressed because everyone's situation is unique as are their relationships. Often it is better to tell those closest to you first and explain how you feel they can help for example "I've been really struggling recently and I've been feeling very low, it's been suggested/I think I have depression".
BatWings89
If you want to tell them - which you are not obligated to - there are many ways you could do that and it depends on who you want to tell in which setting. You could ask them what they know about depression or just tell them you've got a diagnosis etc. Imagine how you would react if a friend/family member or colleague told you to check what might be too much information.
electricPeace79
It depends on who you are telling. If it someone close to you, such as a friend or a family member, you can either say it bluntly or you can ease into it by telling them how you have been feeling lately and whether or not you'd like to receive professional help for it, or if you simply just need someone available to listen when you are feeling depressed.
ughhitshaley
well if you are depressed you will feel worthless, helpless and useless. you will feel like you constantly have something on your shoulders
Truckerwife08
Sometimes it depends on how well they know you and if they know your behaviors to tell em youre depressed. Some people know the signs of depression and if they care theyll understand. But it all depends on the person. Sometimes its easy to just sit down and tell em. Or if you have a councelor and you feel you could do a joint counceling session then that may help too
Cr0pCircle
So, I like to sit them down and just let the person know that I can't always be happy, that it's not something I can control and ask them if they could just be there for me.
truefrend
By voicing out if you already know you are depressed you must tell people you dont feel like doing some thing or joining them for a reason of you feeling low .