How do you convince yourself to get out of bed in the morning?

Tracee Moore, PhD

I have worked with people on a variety issues across a spectrum of issues including grief/loss, adjustment issues, anxiety, depression, medical issues and life transitions.

StraightForwardOwl7
I read a very good article about it. The same question was put forward to a father. A devotee asked him, how do you manage to get up so early. Everyday at 4 am with such dipping temperature. I just couldnt get out of my bed. The father replied, i find it equally hard to get out of the bed. I find my bed more cosy, my room more warm. But i also know, that if i dont get up now, i would feel pathetic later and i would still have to go through the same struggle. So the best thung is to just get out of the bed just when i get the impulse to. If i act on my imoulse within the first 5 second, i find my day goes well. I wake up with a sense of achievement. Slowly, it because a habit and a part of muscle memory. It comes with constant and dedicated efforts, but it is magically empowering.
faintlyglowing
I tell myself: everyday is a new day to go through. On this day, I will learn new things. On this day, I might find new friends! See new sights and I ingrain into myself that with each day, there is still hope.
optimumlife
I convince myself to get out of bed in the morning by realizing that I can make a dent in my own pain by not wallowing in it. Staying in bed all day is no way to make any difference in my suffering, it only allows me to fester in it. By getting out of bed in the morning, I give myself the chance to do something that could make me feel completely better.
MichelleLynn64
When I wake up I normally want to stay in bed and sleep more but I realize I can not exactly help people if I stay in bed all day. I get out of bed by realizing that if I do I may be able to make a good impact on someones life.
Anonymous
You convince yourself by wondering that it could be the day you finally get help, it could be the day that you meet your idols, or that it could be the day were you finally realize that you are a fantastic person and you deserve so much more then you do.
SupportiveSockMonkey
Giving yourself some motivation to get out of bed is a good idea, this could be going to work, walking the dog, eating. Even the smallest goal to reach is important to gaining motivation.
taylaaaxo
I think about the positive aspects in my life no matter how small they may be. I try to remind myself of how I truly feel after a day cooped up in my room, which usually isn't all that great. I tell myself that I am worthy of living each day to the fullest of my ability. I also find it helps if I take baby steps sometimes. Like just having a quick breakfast and a shower at the least, and then take it from there.
hellopomegranate4772
I know what it's like to want to sleep in forever and never get out of bed, because then nothing bad will happen to you. For me, try to think about the positives of the coming day, not the negatives. I don't convince myself to get out of bed. I just do it, I don't think about it.
Smilewhenitrains87
Coffee usually helps. The best part of waking up. Is Folgers in your Cup. How's that for product placement?
Hellodarling
I try to set up something that I am excited about for the morning. Maybe that's a new book or show, or something yummy for breakfast. Maybe you have something that you are excited to do during the day (Go to that one store, meet with a friend, do a fun activity). Give yourself a reason to want to get out of bed.
Not everyone is the same, there is no one answer fits all. If you are having difficulty facing the day, you need to dig deep and find your purpose to do so. Whatever that may be. Family, friends, hobbies. But if you are still having difficulty, it is time to reach out and find other trained professional help.
coolcalmcollected23
Honestly breakfast gets me out of bed - I'm starving! More so it's having a morning ritual of breakfast, coffee, and meditation that is important to me.
Anonymous
Yesterday may have been difficult, but if I don't get out of bed and try again today, how will I know what the day may bring? I just try to remind myself that everyday is different, and that I cannot know for certain what the next day will be like
cordial2394
For me nothing worked until I got serious and decided I had to figure out why I was getting out of bed. For me, I'm a religious person and that's important to me, so 1. no matter what else is true I'm not doing any good while I'm asleep (since my tendency is to oversleep beyond what is healthy) 2. Its important for me to be there for friends and family. I've worked hard to grown my support network, and its great having all these friends now, but they in turn deserve support from me, and I can't give that if I'm sleeping. 3. Even though my depression would tell me that life gets monotonous, I believe it is up to me to find the little pieces that make it interesting again, and as I've searched and looked for them I've found them.. but its taken a long time. But anyway.. my #3 is Life is interesting and worth living..
Anonymous
Sometimes I have somewhere to be where people are expecting me and I don't want to humiliate myself by disappointing them. Sometimes I'm out of food and I need to go shopping. Mostly it's that I need to pee.
meggy17
Tell yourself that today your going to do something new, then plan to do something at a specific time so you know that there is something to look forward too.
Br33zyS3tz
Sometimes its hard to leave the comfort and warmth of our beds; sometimes it does not seem to be worth leaving, but its important to look at each new day as a new beginning, a new opportunity for change, a new opportunity to pursue all kinds of things. Its important to use you willpower and determination to push yourself forward and out of bed, and into the day ahead; its hard to manage and muster such motivation, but its essential in terms of acknowledging life and its potential; the potential we have within life.
readerandwriter
I try to think about the good things that may happen today. "Today, I'll talk to my friends. I may meet someone new. I'll eat something delicious. I'll watch the new episode of my favorite show." Anything that works for you.
deejaylovebug
I use opposite action and make myself get out of bed when I really do not want to. Mornings can be tricky at times but sometimes getting out of bed is the first step to having a better more productive day.
Anonymous
I bribe myself. I know it sounds silly but I do. If I get myself out of bed within a certain time frame I allow myself some flavored creamer (It's a food splurge for me) in my coffee. Then if I'm good for an entire week I treat myself to a manicure or something that is just for me
nbueche23
Look towards the sunshine! Take a step outside and breathe in the cool morning air. Plan something for yourself that helps you look forward to getting out of the bed in the morning. The morning is a wonderful time to be aware of our presence here on earth and to meditate. And remember--it's one step at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day. You get better one step at a time--and that first step can come from the step you make out of bed in the morning.
Wolverineclaw
Certain motivational factors including obligation, sense of responsibility and a realization of consequences... + an ear piercing alarm... :d
Anonymous
Easy: I put my alarm clock on the other side of the room, and the sound it makes is so annoying that i MUST get out of bed.
Delicateangel48
Think every day is a new day full of light and hope. Wake up and put positive thoughts in your head.
Anonymous
March 22nd, 2016 6:39am
I know that if I stay in bed, I'll have nothing to do. I have to atleast get my phone on the other siice of the room.
azimech
keep tell my brain that i have something to do in the new day, i have new journey to go, new things to learn and so much things to done
BCWC
I have a life and can not waste my time. Now i will get up of this bed and i will have breakfast. Then i will do my rituels
HopeBehindtheVeil23
By having a plan chalked out before I go to bed - so that when I wake up, I know what needs to be done and why it needs to be done. I don't aim for a huge list but a simple thing like "yeah this is a way for me to make a productive contribution to my life, to my will to live and attempt to be happy" is enough. I usually listen to a motivational song on my phone in case I am feeling extra low in terms of facing the day.
rtkyfm
Think about what do you want to do today. Listen to the music, have a great breakfast, maybe take shower. Think only about good things.
IAmTheOneRealZ
I think of all the friends that i will see. Of all the new people that i will meet. All the new and old things that i will get to do once again. The things that i like to do, like playing games, helping others and more. And then i stand up from the bed only to see what this new day beholds.