How do you deal with a depressed spouse?

Italy

Anna Pavia, psicologa psicoterapeuta psychotherapist psychologist counselor

I feel my work as my personal mission and I love it. My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive. I am a very good listener. I use several approaches. Amo il mio lavoro.

Anonymous
Just offer support through words and allow them to speak to you. Words mean more than anything, even though they may not seem it.
SteveMadison
Younger me (18 years ago, start of marriage): whatever problem she's dealing with, help solve it and the sadness will go away! Or, if I can just convince her to go to therapy, the problem will be fixed! Or, just wait it out, provide support, she'll find help when she needs it, then things will certainly get better! After 18 years of marriage: I really don't know the best way. But there are some things to hang my hat on: show love how you can. Listen. Offer solutions only judiciously, when she wants to hear them, not prescriptively. Look for ways to reduce stress around the house--very little bit could help. Set a good example. Don't neglect your own needs completely, or else you won't be able to stand it and will leave, which will leave her in worse shape than ever.