How do you deal with depression?

Collin McShirley, LMFT

I love helping people overcome challenges with food, depression, and anxiety. My work with clients is nonjudgement, supportive, and kind.

Anonymous
I deal with depression by engaging in activities that I like and makes me happy, such as my hobbies which are reading an inspirational book, drawing or playing with my pet dog. Besides that, I also meditate on a soothing therapeutic music to calm my stressed out mind. I also exercise whenever I feel down and depressed because after exercising I feel refreshed and energized. Listening to music also helps to relax and calm my mind during a stressful phase and situation in my life.
Starfromheaven
The teenage years can be tough, and it’s perfectly normal to feel sad or irritable every now and then. But if these feelings don’t go away or become so intense that you can’t handle them, you may be suffering from depression. The good news is that you don’t have to feel this way. Help is available and you have more power than you think. There are many things you can do to help yourself or a friend start feeling better.
SoldierSam
October 22nd, 2014 12:19am
The Onset of Depression often starts from boredom, As such its very impotent to create a scheduled that doesnt leave a lot of time opened
LoveLee
What helps me is engaging in things that I love and feel excited about. When you're depressed you don't want to go bungee jumping or anything major like that, so I do little things - I watch tv shows that I really like, shows and movies that make me laugh. Laughter is very important, it can change your body's chemistry, making you feel better. Alot of doctors say things like exercise, but when you're depressed you don't want to do anything like that. I would think of things that I am good at and attempt to do those things - like writing, painting, even Listening here on 7cup. When you do things that you are good at, it boosts your self esteem and makes you feel alot better.
Vanessagv22
Depression is bleeding, without knowing where the cut is, is drowning on the surface. Is so hard to deal with depression, because when you are depressed is hard to deal with everything, is hard to deal with life, is hard breathing. But we need to keep going, we need to be strong, for us and for the people who love us. And with support and help and friends and family, we will get there, we just need to be a little patiente, and it will be okay.
4seasonsailr
I deal with depression in a number of ways. I try to surround myself with caring friends and keep myself busy with different activities. Also, I am a competitive sailor so whenever I'm near the water I feel much calmer and at peace.
AnnikaExhales
I try to not let "little" things drag me into this deep, dark hole first. I try to find little things everyday that cheer me up, even though it's a hard thing to do. If I have an absolute low, there's not much I can do for myself, because I suck at caring for myself, honestly. I just try (!) to not be alone that much (even if that just means talking on the phone or chatting) and I try to do little things for me. Like making myself a nice cup of tea... adding up to that, I have therapy every two weeks and I can only recommend this if you suffer from this illness.
nekos
Keep your thoughts at bay. Go out a lot. Make yourself smile. Repeat positive words. Love yourself..
Bubbyduckie
I really love to go out and get a nice cup of tea with a good book. Even if it's one I've read. It really helps to have that warm drink to warm you up from the inside out.
Annalia
There are a lot of ways to deal with depression, but I like to make a list of all the positives in my life that can combat the negative.
KatieTrancy
I deal with depression in many ways such as writing drawing singing even just talking to my self at some points
lavendersilk
I struggle a lot with depression, but that's okay. I try to talk to some close friends about it. I try to remember that I don't have to struggle through it alone.
Aubrey23
I try and do things for myself whether that's listening to a uni lecture, going for a walk or having a bubble bath. The WORST thing for depression is staying in bed all day so try and get out and about.
GraceOz
November 1st, 2014 1:45pm
For me, depression is very hard to deal with. When I get depressed, I feel a complete indifference toward the world. I just try my best to keep on trucking and remember that my feeling of depression will come to an end eventually.
MadisontheGemini1717
November 1st, 2014 7:45pm
I cry. To be honest, I just sit in my room and write/type everything that Is bothering me and I cry and let it all out.
runawayGirl101
I keep myself busy. I go out. I read/write sometimes. Or just here in front of my laptop talking to random people.
guyinasuit
Everyone deals with this differently, and so it's all about doing what works for you - finding something that you enjoy doing, and just doing that is usually a great way for me to try and lift myself a bit. Also making sure that you talk to people about how you are feeling is great.
beautifulRecipe32
You remember that you are not alone. When you have negative thoughts you must keep reminding yourself it is your illness talking and not you. And finally you must always be intrinsically aware that how you are feeling with not last forever and is fixable.
awhisperofreassurance
A lot of self-love. It's really difficult to love yourself when you are dealing with depression, but it's important to practice some form of self-care. Remember to breathe. Remember to do the things that you love, if you can. But most importantly, remember to give yourself time. Be kind to yourself. Every step is a step forward.
ThePoet
I like to listen to music. Anything from Angry, intense music, to calming music. I am a musician, so I play it as well on my saxophone.
Whisper1945
We all face a time in our lives where we feel , sad , depressed and have no vision of seeing the future as bright. But life is cycle , a wheel that has ups and downs , and if it is a down eventually that up will come. If this way of thinking doesn't help , do what makes you happy , I listen to music as a way of calming me. But the key thing to remember is never give up on any hurdle thrown at you , no matter what :)
melodyofdeath
I try to push myself to do something good, like walking outside or reading a book, just not to lay in bed for hours doing nothing. Sometimes the music is really helpful or checking out the new websites. I think the main thing is to find something to do. The worst is just being sad and doing nothing.
kimoya
Whenever i am depressed i find someone who i trust to talk to about my problems or whoever who caused me to be depressed rather than solve it by hurting myself or others around me
anneotherworldeveryday
I deal with depression by expressing my sorrow through singing, writing and art. I started doing this when my life just went rock bottom. When the whole world just shunned me because I was different from the rest of them. So, whenever I was alone and sad, I started to do something more productive with my life that maybe a great benefit to me in the future. Through creative writing, I learned to express who I was and metaphorically express the story of my life and express my emotions through art as well. Through singing, I started to express my sorrow through the songs that I have sung over the years. And now I have never felt better :)
Anonymous
singing out loud even though my voice isn't that great,or basically any thing to left me up and chase away dark thoughts .
Anonymous
Calmly, attention and understanding. Trying to support the most, because a person with depression is very sensitive and need attention and understanding.
swiftyanswers
Dealing with depression is a gradual process. I've been learning how to deal and control my sad feelings through the years and I've found that there are specific techniques that work for me. One of the ways I deal is spending time with my dog. Whether it's going on really long walks with her or teaching her new tricks, I think focusing on something that bring so much happiness to you is the way to go.
seaweedprincess
Unfortunately there is no cookie cutter way you can treat depression what works for some may not work for others. From my own experience medication isn't always the answer, sometimes natural therapies such as counselling can sometimes be enough to help you manage it, treatment aside there are a few things i found very therapeutic to do such as art or scrap booking good memories so you have something to look back on when you're in low periods.
Tomislav
Dealing with depression can be tiresome and long term, consuming process that can take years. Finding the source of your depression is the first and main thing you must do in order to build your progress and way of coping around it. Surrounding yourself with people who understand is the best choice possible. Seeking professional aid is also a must if it is a long term depression. Medications help but only in hardest cases. You are not alone. It hurts and it is a bumpy road but every little step leads to its end and understanding to feel better. Hope this answer helps.
Anonymous
I deal by clearing my mind, doing yoga/meditation/and giving myself me time. I also surround myself with great friends who make me laugh.