How do you deal with depression after a breakup?

★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lisa Groesz, PhD

With evidenced based therapies, we find the root of the problem together to implement solutions. We all face crises, transitions, or disorders at some time.

GloriousZebra47
I spend as much time as I can with close friends who are supportive and caring. I try to keep a consistent routine, but I also take a little time throughout each day to feel what I'm feeling. When it begins to feel overwhelming, I reach out to a friend for their support.
TheAnonymousHelp
keep yourself busy and try to go out with friends and family at least 3 times a week but always stay busy
Anonymous
Just get over him! Get into the dating scene. Throw his gifts away. Get involved in a new activity.
Anonymous
You try your best. You try to accept the feelings that come along with a breakup even though you don't want to. Don't ignore them or try to make them go away by doing impulsive things.. You accept that you're upset because of this. Talk to friends, write down how you feel, try to do the best you can.
Anonymous
It hurts. I won't lie and say it doesn't. However, the relationship has now ended. You can either wallow in the sadness or trudge on stubbornly and show that a breakup doesn't define you no matter how severe it is. Which will you decide?
Kelsey2112
You need to realize that it's going to take time, and understand the emotions you're feeling. Hide everything that is difficult to see right now, and try to keep your mine off it- enjoy spending time with the people that are still in your life. You need to accept that the relationship is over.
brightHorizon87
I talk to my closest friends, do other stuff except just thinking biased thoughts about all the great times I had with the ex. (Had it been so great we would have still been together) Instead I activate and meet new people, do sports and then after a few weeks or months I go back and figure out what I can learn about myself from this experience.
Anonymous
Go out. Do new things. Challenge your mind into other things rather than being locked up in your room with tons of chocolate.
Anonymous
Talk to friends or family or a counselor. Be honest with what you're feeling. Don't be afraid to ask for help!
GypsyLight
After a break up, I turn my focus to myself. How can I make myself happy? What does make me happy? And I remember that the relationship with myself is the most important one.
sjdesilva
i broke up 2 years ago, the depression doesnt last continuously, it comes in pieces, meaning you feel it less and less strongly each day and you dont feel it every second of the day, ul only feel that way in the first few weeks. The best way to get over it is to keep a goal, and believe that one day things will get better and believe that a miracle will happen one day. try and occupy your mind and dont end up alone, when your mind is not busy, it tends to overthink. Go out with friends and family :) dont give up :)
peachysunny
take time to love your self again before you love anyone else agin pamper your self show self love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Try and comfort yourself as much as possible. Or keep your beloved in close contact, in case you need affection in dark times. Try and do things you enjoy, get fresh air and clear your head.
Anonymous
I deal with depression by going to the gym to blow of some steam and hang out with my friends and have a better outlook in life.
coldplayluver
After my relationship ended, I cried and ranted to anyone who would listen. By talking to other people, I figured out how I really felt about the situation and I got the annoyance out of my system.
Anonymous
I know it is kinda hard, but you can listen happy music or find a hobby to waste your time and forget about her/him. It totally works
sweetSun27
In order to deal with depression after a breakup, I usually talk it out with my mom because I feel very comfortable with her. Talking issues out helps you cope with the situation and remember its okay to cry.
LunaLove77
I deal with it, but putting my mind in other places and distracting myself from the negative emotions. I just think to myself how i will find someone better for me, and i try to have fun
Anonymous
i speak with my psychologist. to which she offers me great advice, coping techniques and mindfulness excersizes
Anonymous
Try to do something else that you like when you start to feel bad, it will be hard to push yourself but you have to. Hangout with other people, whenever you start to think of the other person, remember how they hurt you or why you ended the relationship and slowly you will get over that person.
Anonymous
I deal with the depression of breakups as a time for self focus. I keep myself occupied with reflecting on the situation and what happened, and making a choice of how I can move forward with the person that I am. I fill my time with my friends, and learning, and hobbies. When I am alone and the through creeps in, I think about the good times and understand why it ended. Not everyone is going to mesh well, and that is ok. It takes both people to make a relationship work. One ending is a new beginning to a relationship with yourself, or new friends, or a new romantic interest.
heartsNcupcakes
Don't be too hard on yourself, seek help, talk to people, write about it, find outlets that help you. "Do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do." In the words of the famous of Oprah Winfrey. Surround yourself with positivity and let time do its job.
Anonymous
Distraction is key here and not isolating oneself from everyone around you. Especially following a bad breakup it is good to be with people you trust and love and let them take on a bit of your burden, even if it means that you simply rant away of whatever may be on your mind.
MandyCaliaba
Friends and family are the key to happiness. They are the only ones to go to when things are not going so great and they will always receive you with a tight, welcome hug. They are the most special people in the world, even if they do not show it.
WinterBreezer
Live your life! Surround yourself with good friends and speak out about your feelings to someone you can trust.
Dako10
Spending time with friends and family is a great way to deal with it. As well as picking up or continuing/focusing on hobbies & exercise. It's very important to remain single until you feel happy alone again, and not use other peoples attention/affection as a crutch to get better, because this will only provide a short term high, and will just postpone your work on making yourself happy again. Make sure to keep busy!
DipityEnigma
It really depends on you. Something that works for someone else may not work for you. One thing I would strongly suggest is to not go out with someone until you're fully over the previous person as you may be subconsciously replacing them with someone else. You could try things such as going out with friends to take your mind off of them but one thing you shouldn't do is hold back emotions. People need to mourn and just let the emotions run its course. A lot of people have said that keeping active and doing things every day helps the pain and their coping skills. It really depends on what you feel would help you though.
Anonymous
You've got to have a strong support base. Whether it be friends or family, if you have one person to listen and support you, that's a step in the right direction.
butterflykisses27
I make sure I am not sitting around doing nothing. If you sit around idol your more likely to think about your breakup which makes you feel more depressed. I try to get out and about with other people. Or do something I particularly like doing. Go too the gym, play a sport you might love. Go see a movie with close friends. Anything where your not dwelling on your breakup until you can finally get back into relying just on you and slowly let the relationship pass out of your mind.
handofheart
I grab a box of tissues, watch a few romantic comedies, write a list for why the guy wasn't so great in the first place (sure, he was charming, but was the bad breath worth it?), and just hope that time heals a broken heart. Hang in there. Better people will come along