How do you deal with feeling alone?

Lindsay Scheinerman, MA, LPC

My work with clients is to help them recognize and build on their strengths to find solutions for the conflicts presented in their lives.

YourAngel22
I would try and make best use of it, enjoy my own company and do things that make me feel better about myself. If I needed company, I would choose to go out and socialise and if not, surround myself with my loved ones.
lonelyghost
I celebrate time alone to myself. These are the moments I can listen to myself and reflect on what's important to me and the things I want. These are the times I can develop my skills and acquire new knowledge. Being alone is a time to cherish.
Anonymous
I tend to throw myself into different projects i.e. reading, finding volunteer opportunities, class assignments, or even chilling out and listening to music. Something to take my mind off of feeling alone and often my new projects lead me to meeting new people that I can hang out with, talk to, and share interests to talk about. Also, I often times text or call my friends to just talk and they are quite supportive.
Anonymous
Watching TV, listening to music, and just mingling with people in crowded public places are ways in which you can have contact with people without having to call a friend. Joining a club or volunteering is another way to feel less alone.
Anonymous
I let myself wander. The mind is a beautiful place to discover, full of novelties and hidden places. Imagination is my shield if I feel alone: in my head there is everything I need and more to feel in company. If it doesn't work, Though, I come here on 7Cups and I look for someone to talk to. It's awesome how helping people makes me feel linked to other human beings like me. It's a great feeling, and definitely it doesn't involve loneliness.
brightHorizon87
It is a challenging feeling to have, and I guess the best ay that I deal with it is to talk about it with other people. I believe that feeling alone is not something that is uncommon, but rather that this forces me to open up more with other people (including myself) and thus there is a greater chance that a deep bond and connection can be made in the progress. Concrete action in this direction and by being honest about my feelings have shown to be quite effective as to helping me feel less lonely.
SkyeIsThereForYou
Well just take things one day at a time. Surround yourself with the people you love and when you are alone do something to keep you busy so you don't have time to think about being alone.
Poppitypop
I purposely make the effort to reach to friends and family, sometimes it seems like a daunting task but the end result is always very rewarding. Spending time with pets is also really helpful, my dogs are always happy to spend time with me.
Anonymous
We all have to spend time alone sometimes, but some of us enjoy it more than others. Research suggests that alone time (without any distractions) is uncomfortable for most of us because the human mind is more comfortable facing outwardly. Consider talking to a therapist about how you have been feeling. It may be hard to figure out why you feel lonely and how to move past those feelings. A licensed mental health professional can help you to understand and work through your loneliness. Feeling lonely may indicate that you are depressed or that you have another underlying mental health condition. Talking to a therapist can help you understand what is going on and decide on the best course of action.
Anonymous
I deal with it by listening to music or sleeping. Also by going out and having fun playing sports with friends.
lovelyTouch90
February 1st, 2016 6:30pm
I feel like a person shouldn't have to deal with feeling alone. Seeking help and support groups can help. I feel like feeling lonely is one of the worst feelings and having to deal with it alone sometimes makes matters worse for the individual suffering from loneliness. I would say maybe try joining some groups, be somewhere that makes you feel happy. Maybe you dont know where that place is but, just be patient. You will get through this.
NorwegianMan
Whenever I feel alone, I try to read a good book, and listen to music that keeps my spirits up. I also go for lots of walks, and try to hang out with people that make me feel good
Anonymous
I usually talk to my friends on social media or talk to someone on here who needs help.And organize.
Anonymous
You can listen to music, draw something, or you can write down all your worries. You can also call a friend, if you want to.
baymax2
Sometimes doing things you enjoy can alleviate feelings of loneliness. Try picking up a new hobby! You could find that the enjoyment will distract feelings of isolation.
MelanieHopeMUA
You could try to communicate with new people like a blog or a chat line or something like that also another great way is to try to communicate with more people it is always healthy to make a positive outlook on your social life.
WarmLentil
When things get too much, it is easy to isolate myself and tell myself that I've nobody to talk to. This is never true, and I always feel so much better after calling a friend or even coming onto 7cups to work through my feelings. People always care, and you are never as alone as you tell yourself.
IniraNti
How about all of us taking a step forward, confronting our fears and meeting new people? You're already showing how brave you are right now! You've joined this community which means that you've made the first step towards leaving this disturbing feeling of being alone. Getting help isn't a shameful thing which you should feel embarrassed about. Many people don't have the guts to do the thing that you just did. You're already way more confident than those people. I suggest joining websites where you can meet new people, even tinder. Yes, you heard me right. Tinder. Although it is mainly for dating, you can end up making great friends on that app. 7cups is another app which helps you feel less lonely and make friends. Many people are dealing with the feeling of being lonely. So, my dear, you are not alone. You've got all of us listeners and therapists. We're here to help you. If you're dealing with loneliness, i'm here for you. And if you feel courageous enough, go out! Have fun! Life is short, make the most out of it!
Anonymous
Feeling alone can be very challenging. Because it's in your head. You can be surrounded by hundreds of people but still feel like not one of them understands you. You feel stuck and hopeless because there's no one to reach out to. I deal with being alone by starting a conversation. With anyone. About anything. Even if it's with a stranger on the street, telling them I like the shoe they're wearing. Or telling a close friend how I feel. The result isn't always positive or exactly what I expect but at least I feel like that voice that's telling me that I'm all alone is getting weaker and weaker by every second. I feel like I'm setting myself free. To quote a song I really love, "They're sharing a drink called loneliness, but it's better than drinking alone."