How do you handle it when the people closest to you don't want to understand or acknowledge your depression?

Germany

Nathalie Dramis, Diploma

Helping people is my passion. I believe that anyone can benefit from therapy and counseling. My approach is holistic and tailored to you and your specific needs.

Ed78
It can be very difficult for other people to come to terms with your depression. It's much easier for them to just pretend that everything is ok. That's not necessarily because they don't care about you... it's probably because they don't actually know how to respond. Think about what happens if someone faints, has a seizure, or collapses. A lot of people just stand back and look, but not because they don't want to help, but because they don't know how to, or are afraid of messing up. The same happens with depression. Try to understand that they don't know how to react ... rather than that they don't want to.
Anonymous
Seek other people that might understand your situation, they may actually help you and listen carefully to what your going through.
Anonymous
Take care of yourself. It may be hard, but find a way for you to push through it. Not having the support of the people closest to you is extremely difficult, but there are ways to manage. Find coping mechanisms that work, join therapy if possible, find clubs that interest you, just get away.
Spiderman93
try not to let others thoughts and opinions bother you. being depressed is an illness and not everyone can accept that. you will make it through this. much love to you
THis can be difficult to deal with for all involved. Its difficult for somebody who is not going through it to understand. The first thing you can do is to try to talk with those around you and who are closest to you. Also, seeking help from a trusted person to help you if you feel that you can't. You can always seek advice from a counselor or therapist to help too and incorporate your family in the sessions.
Anonymous
Though i would feel sad, but then i would try my best to overcome it myself and my decisions would solely depend on me and i would not have anyone to blame in future
GivingPurpose
It can be hard for people to understand your depression. It doesn't mean they don't care about you. IT might just be hard for them to understand how you are feeling, Not being to able to stand what you are going thru makes it hard for them to be able to respond.
Anonymous
You can respect their wishes and become emotionally detached from these individuals. Find a close network of confidants.
Aube777
It's hard to handle this situation because peer support is an important part of recovery. I would suggest you to talk to other people and find supportive ones: it could be online friends, your psychologist, a friend's friend, etc.
HappyWhale
I go and reach out to other people. It took me a long time to get through this, but over the years I have learnt that if people are going to discount my depression or not want to learn, that I can find other people out there that will be happy to listen to me!
quietLion4
Sometimes the people closest can be difficult to tell or find it difficult to comprehend what you're going through. What is important is that, if you feel this is holding you back from gaining proper support, try and reach out to others - such as school staff members or youth groups.
PosiPotato
I'm so sorry that you feel the people closest to you don't want to understand or acknowledge your depression. I have felt and described that exactly feeling myself before. Not everyone is going to be able to see or understand what you're going through, and that is ok! You're ok too. Sometimes you just need to find the right person to share yourself with. You're experiencing depression, and that is very real, you are not alone.