How do you I cope with triggers that make me feel depressed?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

Anonymous
April 2nd, 2015 12:39am
There are various ways to deal with that. You can try: - prevention(i.e., if the trigger is a place, then prevent going around the place) - desensitize yourself by gradually getting exposed to the trigger and self assure by telling yourself "I'm doing fine. I'm doing fine" - Change your thoughts about the trigger (i.e., seeing my boss makes me depress. If so, then try thinking of some positive aspects of your boss rather than looking at the fierce, tyrant him/her) - Seek help from psychotherapist
YourAngel22
Triggers can bring back feelings of sadness and end up with you being depressed so it might be best to try and avoid them. I personally, tend to keep myself distracted as much as possible in order to avoid disturbing memories from playing in my head.
Nadine
When I realize that something can possibly trigger me I try to distance myself as soon as I can from whatever that is and do something that makes me think of something else and focus on tasks I have to do, or study, or read, or even listen to music... although music can also be very triggering at times, so it depends on the situation. You should understand what triggers you and do the exact opposite.
ImmaMonster
I usually turn the other way. I alway try to look on the bright side of life and my friends are really supportive in helping me do this. I try to put it to the back of my mind and move on. sometimes it gets the better of me but I do feel better with the fact that I tried and it makes me just that little bit stronger the next time something happens.
HalBlair
I seek for the source and try to think of ways to work it out, be it by myself or with someone I trust. Never be afraid to ask for help! It's hard sometimes, but a second opinion always helps me feel secure.
KittensAndAshley
Try to replace them in your mind with something positive. If a song makes you sad, try to play a different song that makes you happy instead.
LexJPT
You try to counteract the trigger with something that cheers you up, if you get really down, try doing something you love doing.
usefulLight67
This can be done in few step 1. Stay positive 2. Always try to be optimistic about anything 3. Pull yourself away from whatever may disturb you 4. Always try to see the bright side and make the best out of it
Youareberrybeautiful
I tend to tune them out with music or books and in my way forget about what was just said or done...
damselinthisdress
I would say the best way to cope with triggers is by taking control of them. Stressful experiences like loss or conflict can trigger negative emotions tied to depression such as sadness, hopelessness, anxiety, or fear. If we become more self-aware and take control of those negative thoughts, we can try and turn those into positive thoughts. Only we are capable of taking action and overcome our depression triggers. All we need to do is accept ourselves without self-hate and BELIEVE that we are powerful enough to get through it. :)
Anonymous
Start by knowing what your triggers are and how to avoid them. If you're feeling triggered, start with some deep breaths, and ground yourself. Look at 5 things you can touch, 4 things you can see, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell, and 1 thing can taste. Isn't that better?